Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 08:02 PM

427 posts, read 1,094,896 times

Advertisements

Hi you all!

I was born in Tampa, I'm 35. We moved to St. Pete when I was little, and pretty much grew up there. Going over the bridge to Tampa was exciting as a kid, it felt like the big city. I always wanted to live on that side of the bay. A few years back I made the move. I was planning on finishing up my degree at USF. I actually did attend one semester there, but I started driving for United Cab. I had to put in so many hours behind the wheel to make any money, and I quit school. Driving the taxi was fun for the first year or so. Cruising around Tampa in my cab was kind of a metropolitan experience for me. But then one slow night the epiphany happened. I was cruising down Kennedy. There wasn't a call on the radio and the streets were quiet. And then I realized, Tampa isn't a big city! For the past year I've been obsessed with getting out of here. My mom is always saying it's not the city that's important, but what you do in it. She might have a point. As a kid in St. Pete I never had thoughts that my town was too small. My immediate surroundings were all that mattered such as our pool and the canal we lived on (we had a boat). I wish I could get back to that simple way of thinking. Instead I just want to be at the center of a vast, densly populated concrete jungle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 12:52 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,516,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_sfl View Post
Hi you all!
Instead I just want to be at the center of a vast, densly populated concrete jungle.

Why exactly? Prices are usually higher, crime is usually higher. People are usually impersonal. I find that setting very depressing, but maybe you should give it a try (NYC) and see how you like it.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:02 AM

309 posts, read 901,468 times
Cool Big city

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_sfl View Post
Hi you all!

I was born in Tampa, I'm 35. We moved to St. Pete when I was little, and pretty much grew up there. Going over the bridge to Tampa was exciting as a kid, it felt like the big city. I always wanted to live on that side of the bay. A few years back I made the move. I was planning on finishing up my degree at USF. I actually did attend one semester there, but I started driving for United Cab. I had to put in so many hours behind the wheel to make any money, and I quit school. Driving the taxi was fun for the first year or so. Cruising around Tampa in my cab was kind of a metropolitan experience for me. But then one slow night the epiphany happened. I was cruising down Kennedy. There wasn't a call on the radio and the streets were quiet. And then I realized, Tampa isn't a big city! For the past year I've been obsessed with getting out of here. My mom is always saying it's not the city that's important, but what you do in it. She might have a point. As a kid in St. Pete I never had thoughts that my town was too small. My immediate surroundings were all that mattered such as our pool and the canal we lived on (we had a boat). I wish I could get back to that simple way of thinking. Instead I just want to be at the center of a vast, densly populated concrete jungle.

Well you could go to New York City. Winter is not a good time to visit but it certainly is a big city. Miami is less severe (weather wise) but probably not really that large once you leave the beach area. You need to get out and visit some cities then decide.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:13 PM

346 posts, read 1,343,083 times
I outgrew Tampa/St. Pete area and moved to South Florida. The area from Miami to West Palm Beach is pretty huge compared to the Tampa Bay area. You can have the hustle and bustle of NY because so many live here, but still get the tropical weather of Florida. It's a different world here compared to Tampa. Some like it and some don't, but you have that with every place.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:55 PM

221 posts, read 725,333 times
I too felt that way. I was born and raised in Tampa. My first home as an adult was less than a mile away from the hospital that i was born it. There was a whole big world out there that I had not seen yet. We decided to make a change before our oldest entered kindergarten, and moved to NC. I think that many people feel the same way that you are now, and you just have to decide what is right for you. Maybe a change is due, and just remember that you always can come back home with new eyes for your town.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:04 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,734,288 times
Each to their own. That makes the world go around. Me, I want a quiet peaceful setting just close enough to needed goods and services to be convenient. I've been near the likes of Kansas City where a trip around is a day's road trip. I hate stop and go traffic and the stench of the exhaust trapped between high rises. If everyone wanted the exact same thing it would be out of reach price wise. My 2¢.

Old 11-26-2008, 05:47 AM

427 posts, read 1,094,896 times
We lived in Boca Raton when I was a teenager. We would go down to Miami for stuff and I recall it feeling big city-like. I never explored it as an adult though. A drive down there is in order.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk22 View Post
It's a different world here compared to Tampa. Some like it and some don't, but you have that with every place.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:37 PM

106 posts, read 434,017 times
Matt - Go West Young Man. Explore. Don't go to NYC - you have gotten to know the likes of those Yanks while living in Tampa. Plus there are more of them in Miami.....yikes!

check my website:
http://web.mac.com/rissling

I just spent 13 months on the road driving over 30,000 miles around the US. I have pictures and stories from the entire trip. San Diego, Seattle, Santa Fe, Phoenix, NC, Missouri, North Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Utah.....save some money and hit the road (or just steal the cab).

You can always come home. Good Luck.
By the way - there are a lot worse places to live than Tampa!

Old 11-27-2008, 02:30 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,255,051 times
NYC is great for urban environment. I LOVED living there, however, once you live in NYC, then nothing else can really compare.

If you go to ASIA though, they KNOW urban...I love it over here.

Old 11-27-2008, 06:03 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,975,697 times
Go to NYC for a while. You can always come back to Tampa, and there's nothing like living in NYC. Experience it for just a year if you want. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay