U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2008, 04:50 PM

47 posts, read 146,774 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell Me the last time Clearwater, Largo, St. Petersburg area was hit by a hurricane?? What Year? What kind of damage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 08:48 PM

8,488 posts, read 18,554,474 times
I think the worst damage in the last 20 years was not even a hurricane.
The no name storm came through in 93.
Of course the beaches got it the worst, I didn't know until I drove down the beach afterwards that the wind would blow out car windows.
There was a 10-12 ft storm surge.
440 West Condos on Clearwater Beach had an underground parking garage, I never saw so many millions of dollars of destroyed autos in one place.
It was bad and 26 were killed statewide but I am not sure how many were in the Clearwater Largo area.

The damage as it headed up north with the blizzards was worse than down here though.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:22 PM

409 posts, read 1,396,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Luckyman 58 View Post
Can anyone tell Me the last time Clearwater, Largo, St. Petersburg area was hit by a hurricane?? What Year? What kind of damage?
The last time that we had any sort of significant hurricane activity was in 2004. Several hurricanes came through the area that year. We were lucky because the area never saw a direct hit. We still saw a little bit of flooding which is common in this area with any sizable rainfall. We also had some trees and branches down and some power outages. Some people lost power for days. Overall we were lucky because it could have been much worse than the scattered minor damage that we saw here.

The Tampa Bay area is vulnerable because of the geography of the area but yet we seem to get lucky time and time again. There is a major threat of high storm surge in the areas around Tampa Bay if the right hurricane were to hit with the right strength in the right spot. Although unlikely at any given moment in time, if all these ingredients come together we will be in for a rough ride.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:36 PM

138 posts, read 578,285 times
I've lived here my entire life (30 years) and we have never had a direct hit since I've been here. There was Elena which stirred off the coast, Charlie turned at the last minute and a no name storm but that's it. You can check out the National Hurricane Center's website and check out the history of the storms that have come through Florida:

National Hurricane Center

Old 12-03-2008, 06:15 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,933,790 times
Elena was about '85 or 86' I believe. I think a cat2 or 3 but it was powerful enough to take down the old Indian Rocks Fishing Pier which extended about a 1000 feet into the gulf. I remember seeing some significant sea wall damage and a couple of cracked swimming pools on the gulf front. The government had to spend millions on pumping sand back up on some beaches that the storm had washed away.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:58 PM

198 posts, read 890,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Luckyman 58 View Post
The last hurricane to make landfall at tampa was Hurricane #6, october 1921

Unisys Weather: 1921 Hurricane/Tropical Data for Atlantic

We have had several cross the state and give us effects, i.e. 2004, but they were not direct hits on tampa.

The eye of Hurricane Elena of 85' never made it to us, we just got lashed with her outer rand bands and constant high waves for 3 days. Lots of coastal damage, some parts of the beach lost almost 15' of sand, not too much wind damage.

The no name storm of march 1993 did extensive coastal damage but that was not related to any hurricane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay