U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 07:07 AM

29 posts, read 176,678 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I plan to retire in Florida. My first question is : do most of people board up windows when a hurricane comes, if you are some distance away from the ocean?

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 08:42 AM

8,488 posts, read 19,611,794 times
I was in a condo on Tampa Bay, never boarded up.
House 1.2 miles from the gulf, never boarded up.
Rental on a canal a stones throw from the gulf, never boarded up.
Current house 4.5 miles from the gulf, never boarded up.

Just my preference though. Many around me all those places did board up.

If you are well inland it would probably not be needed.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:48 AM
NCN

21,149 posts, read 24,124,003 times
If I lived in Tampa, I would want working shutters and storm doors.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:24 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,059,403 times
A lot of home- and business- owners along the coastline do board up when there's a threat. For us, living inland ~20 miles from the coast, we've never bothered. It would only take one strike though for us to change our minds.

Once you pick your place, use common sense, look around, and ask your neighbors for guidance. In many locations, storm shutters are part of the real estate transfer (for purchases). If you plan to rent, make sure it's defined in your lease agreement.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:25 AM

4,850 posts, read 13,465,497 times
On Anna Maria Island, one block from gulf, south of Tampa, yes, we boarded up.

Yes, we did evacuate.

Yes, it was chaos.

We had worse weather on AMI after the storms passed back in 2004 & 2005. Flooded streets did a lot of water damage to our car's electrical systems on the island as it floods up immediately as the water has no place to go. It always receeds quickly, within hours but , out East ( which we consider East of I-75), it just sat & created stagnant areas & bred mosquitos. When we decided not to evacuate due to chaos on the roads, it was almost unbearable to be in your home, boarded up with no power....that's why you are told to evacuate...imagine no power & 96 degrees...not anyone's idea of a good time...that's just how it is....

Old 12-04-2008, 09:31 AM

138 posts, read 597,569 times
We boarded up when Charlie was supposed to hit us and it was the most eery feeling. Almost like living in a cave it was so dark and you had no idea what was going on outside. We always say that we'll leave if a storm is heading towards us that is a Cat 2 or higher. If it ends up missing us and we left anyway, oh well, at least we were safe.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:36 AM

27,061 posts, read 44,193,283 times
I have been here with 3 or maybe even 4 Hurricanes and we never had anything done except for taken yard furniture inside and other small items. (yard lights)

We are more than 1 hour from the coast so that is completely different than living near the coast with a storm. We did have a tree on our car with a lesser storm called a Tropical Storm but the tree was more or less pushed over by the wind so the damage was hardly to see.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:28 PM

428 posts, read 1,181,698 times
I second the notion of shutters. If you can afford it, it is a great way to secure your house in a relatively easy fashion, compared with plywood options. This way, you don't have to sweat it.

From what I gather, a big threat is having your windows blown out, wind traveling in and upward, and your roof becoming a thing of the past. I think modern building code addresses this somewhat with improved anchoring between the trusses and the home.

I know someone in Jax who spent a lot of money on this sealing window film that secures to the window frame. Supposedly it helps. I'm sure it is better than nothing. But, I can't imagine it is as good as having a physical barrier. Again, if you can afford it.

Maybe others can chime in on general prices/options for shutters.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:10 PM

13,768 posts, read 36,557,672 times
Lived in Tampa 30 years and never boarded up. It really depends on where in FL you live IMHO. Tampa hasn't had a direct hit from a hurricane since the 1920s. I have family who live on the east coast and they have storm shutters on their house, but they also have gone through many more hurricanes that were cat 2 or higher.

Like TpaKaren says if one ever hits Tampa directly that will change a lot of ppl's mind.

I know folks who evacuated Tampa during 04 and went towards Orlando or Ocala and they had worse weather than Tampa.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:46 PM

1,068 posts, read 3,058,721 times
I'm not currently working in the trade but I installed safety and security film on homes in Florida for 2 years. There are several advantages to choosing window film. One advantage is that it doesn't change the appearence of your home like shutters or plywood. Shutters are somewhat unattractive and not really neccesary unless you are directly on the water. Some companies will install anchors on the outside of your home and sell you some pre-drilled plywood sheets that you would have to put up before you evacuate, with film there are no protruding ,tacky looking studs around your window openings and if a storm comes, the film is already on the window,just pack and go. Film comes in clear or tint, the tint can also block heat and save you money on energy bills, both clear and tint block damaging UV rays. Your window can and probably will crack if a windborne projectile hits it but the glass will remain in place if it filmed, the idea is to keep glass from becoming a dangerous projectile and keep water out. I would recomend a 4 mil thick film installed by a reputable co. $6-$10 a sq. foot is a fair price. You can get 8 mil or thicker but that is overkill unless you live on the beach. I believe 4 mil is rated up to around 110 mph. Film is significantly cheaper than shutters and immedietly storm ready, no hassle of mounting plywood hours before a storm comes. you should get a lifetime warranty on film. It is a strong durable product, it's on a lot of government buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay