Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 10:03 PM

37 posts, read 178,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Palm trees do not do anything for people that are making Florida's low-wages and can not afford to live.

I've always felt like, if you don't like some place bad enough, move out.
I've been in the Tampa area ( east) for 36 years. The wages here may not be the greatest overall, but nobody is holding a gun to anybodys head and making them stay.
I do think the palm trees are a waste of my tax dollars though. For what they spend on those, they could lower everyones property taxes , or some other worthy endeavor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 10:52 PM

442 posts, read 1,578,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejean53 View Post
I've always felt like, if you don't like some place bad enough, move out.
I've been in the Tampa area ( east) for 36 years. The wages here may not be the greatest overall, but nobody is holding a gun to anybodys head and making them stay.
I do think the palm trees are a waste of my tax dollars though. For what they spend on those, they could lower everyones property taxes , or some other worthy endeavor.
PSHHHHHHH Pshh..all over the place PSHHHH

Everyone knows there are millions of tax dollars spent on useless items every year. As long as politician's 16 year old sons & daughters are rolling to school in the finest everything, I'm a-OK with the lovely palm trees..they're apart of Florida culture!

Old 12-09-2008, 07:37 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Palm trees are what make Florida look like Florida to me - I just love them, they make me smile. They make others smile, too, so the expense is justified, IMO. My favorite cities in Florida are those that have been planted with thousands of them. I have several in my yard and they make me smile every time I look at them which is often!

Old 12-09-2008, 10:55 AM

43 posts, read 191,047 times
In my opinion, palm trees are not over-rated. I have lived in Florida my entire life and they never get old and neither do sunsets. From the posts I have read on this forum, our state gets a bad rap. If people don't like it here, they should leave. Nobody is holding a gun to their head asking them to stay. They only things I dislike about Florida are (i) it is very flat here, (2) the humidity is bad in summer months, (3) there is a lack of consistent surf (especially on this coast). The only other state I would live in is California. I have no use for the rest of the states.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:17 AM

29 posts, read 161,374 times
"Palm trees are what make Florida look like Florida to me - I just love them, they make me smile."

DITTO DITTO DITTO

I always know I am on vacation when I see my first palm tree. I hope to move to Tampa this summer and can't wait to put several large ones in!

Old 12-10-2008, 09:01 AM

122 posts, read 168,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Palm trees are what make Florida look like Florida to me - I just love them, they make me smile. They make others smile, too, so the expense is justified, IMO. My favorite cities in Florida are those that have been planted with thousands of them. I have several in my yard and they make me smile every time I look at them which is often!
I agree. Palm trees are a big part of the whole Floridian identity. We border on the tropics for crying out loud, especially us in South Florida. And hey, at least they're actually native to our state, as opposed to other palm-heavy places like Southern California.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:02 AM

558 posts, read 1,835,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyMissAshley View Post
Palm Trees really DO make everything so much better.

I've lived in this ***MOD CUT*** my entire life, but every time I pass the coast line or a palm tree..I know that everything is going to be alllllllllright
Palm trees are overrated IMHO.
I like the Live Oaks dripping with Spanish Moss and the Bald Cypress trees way better.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:55 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,682,743 times
I am born and raised in Florida and have never found Palm Trees to be anything but ugly. Give me a pine, an oak or anything else anyday.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:58 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
Palm trees are overrated IMHO.
I like the Live Oaks dripping with Spanish Moss and the Bald Cypress trees way better.
What I love about Florida is that we have palm trees PLUS all that - I'm a real nature and gardening buff, I love it all!

Old 12-12-2008, 06:01 AM

93 posts, read 418,453 times
I LOVE palm trees, always have : ) I'm moving to Tampa from CA in April, so I'm looking forward to seeing them. I realize this will be a huge adjustment (I'm a CA native), but I'm moving there to be with family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay