Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2008, 05:46 PM

5 posts, read 12,999 times

Advertisements

Hi, my wife and I will be empty nesters soon, and for several reasons we're looking to change our residency to FL and live there 6-7 months out of the year (the rest being in the Baltimore-Washington area where we live now). I've been investigating possible locals in FL and the greater Tampa bay area is heading our list (larger metro area, great boating, weather, etc.).

Can anyone refer me to a real estate agent/relocation expert that I can contract to help us investigate the area. We're planning a trip in January, probably stay in St. Petersburg (downtown somewhere). We've been there last year for a week (stayed on Don Ceasars), but want to dig into living in the area further. Not strong bias toward any particaluar area yet (Tamp, St Pete, Clearwater, Sarasota, beaches,etc).

Any other tips or advice would also be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 10:03 AM

Thanks to the couple of people who replied privately. Does anyone else have any thoughts? Any comments or suggestions? Thanks

Old 12-12-2008, 05:55 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,186,004 times
What is important to you?

Personally I like Safety Harbor. It has a small town feel but you are not too far from Tampa or the beach. Dunedin is also a neat town. Odessa has a more country feel. Lots of lakes in Odessa with large lots if you don't buy in a new subdivision. Land O lakes is also a nice area IMHO.

Old 12-13-2008, 07:58 PM

We prefer urban environment, like the water, love to boat, would like to be able to walk to restaurants, entertainment, shops, etc as much as possible. We're also fairly affluent, upscale is good. Not sure if we want single family, condo, on town house. BUT, first and foremost we're trying to see if Tampa-St Pete area is the part of FL we would like to live in 1/2 the year. We liked what we saw our last trip.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:14 AM

5,014 posts, read 7,220,428 times
If you're looking for a good urban setting, I suggest St. Pete. A very nice,progressive downtown, lots of waterfront, the arts, good restaurants, and pretty safe. I've lived in several cities in Florida ( Tampa,Orlando, Jacksonville) but I always come home to St.Pete. Bring you wallet, though. The days of the average "Bert and Millie" retiring here are long gone. Wait a few years and I'll sell you my place-I'm looking to move to a cooler,less crowded location.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:20 AM

2 posts, read 6,899 times
Hello!
This is my first post. I don't really know this system yet so I am not sure who will see this. I am responding to franko61. I live and work in N Pinellas county, specifically Palm Harbor, just north of Clearwater. I believe it is a great area for you to consider for a future home. Depending on your taste in housing, you might also like Dunedin. Moderator cut: ..

Last edited by Keeper; 12-24-2008 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: realtor soliciting

Old 12-24-2008, 04:24 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
If you're looking for a good urban setting, I suggest St. Pete. A very nice,progressive downtown, lots of waterfront, the arts, good restaurants, and pretty safe. I've lived in several cities in Florida ( Tampa,Orlando, Jacksonville) but I always come home to St.Pete. Bring you wallet, though. The days of the average "Bert and Millie" retiring here are long gone. Wait a few years and I'll sell you my place-I'm looking to move to a cooler,less crowded location.
I could not agree more If you are looking for a cooler less crowded location come to lexington ky . we just moved here two wks ago from clearwater and we could not be happier . oh and to the person who said they would like to move to tampa from baltimore dont my cousin lives in baltimore and she wants out too but she knows not to move to florida crime rate is the same in baltimore as it is in tampa .

Old 12-25-2008, 05:09 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,890,766 times
I would say one of the areas you would like is Safety Harbor and some parts of Clearwater.
You don't say what type of place you would prefer, whether it's a house,townhome or condo. There's all kind of places for you to look into here for you to "sonwbird".
I will PM you with somebody I know for your relocation needs.
As for this area being the same as Baltimore crime wise, this lady doesn't know what she is talking about.

Old 12-25-2008, 06:31 PM

Thanks again for the help. For those who like to rant about crime, while we live in the Baltimore area, we live in Howard County, the richest county in the country which is not at all what you see on "The Wire." I might even live in downtown Baltimore some day, very nice (but expensive). I'm not as much of a fan of DC, but its close too, so we have two urban environments to enjoy.

Re: St. Pete, I've already the opinion that it might be the right city based on my brief visit. How does Tampa compare, especially for access to water, activity, etc? Same question for the various beach and coastal bay areas. Ideally we'd be on the water (boating), walking distance to stores and restaurants, and easy access to beach, etc. Seems Tampa a bit far for all that. St. Pete Beach area was nice when we stayed there last year. We didn't get to Clearwater area, how is that? Or even Sarasota?

Frank

Old 12-27-2008, 12:24 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,078,006 times
Hello
you will probably enjoy all that St Pete has to offer. If you are very active, love the water, like walking downtown, enjoy theatre, restaurants, outdoor activity and entertainment and a more eclectic atmosphere, you will find it just the ticket.
I have lived in this area for 10 years, mid county, but would live in NE st pete in a heartbeat, but for being settled here, kids in school, etc etc etc. Most of my friends are over there and we will move there one day I am sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay