Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 02:08 PM

97 posts, read 433,291 times

Advertisements

We moved here in Oct and I like living in the Tampa area. We came from a rural area in Maryland and these are some things I've noticed since moving here that are different. I dont know if these things are indicative to this area or if its like this in most large cities.

1. When the traffic light turns red, expect 3 or more cars to run it. I actually had somebody beep and swerve around me and go on through the red light.

2. If you are a pedestrian, watch out! They will run your a** over.

3. Nobody knows what the cart rack's are for in the grocery store parking lot's. I generally have to get out and move a cart so I can park. I must be one of the few people that unloads the groceries and pushes the cart into a cart rack.

Oh well. just thought I would share some of the odd ball things that I have noticed since living here. Has anybody else noticed things that are different, but not on the "questions to ask list" when moving to a new area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 02:27 PM

34 posts, read 123,093 times
Default Deja Vu

They must have gotten that "red-light optional" thing from Chicago. They do it there too. I'm thinking of moving to Florida from Maryland. I'm giving myself a time schedule of about two years before I make the move...heck...it'll take me that long to clean up my place so I can move out. Anyway, how are the people? Maryland folks are okay, but you put them behind the wheel of a car and your #2 becomes true here too. Have you found a cool area to live yet? Could you give me anymore "inside info" on Tampa...I have the move narrowed down to either Tampa or Orlando.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:54 PM

I like Tampa, its closer to the water and I think its less touristy. Plus my hubby got a job here. Can't beat that! As far as the people, they've all been pretty nice and most are very helpful. Even in the city. Welcome to the board, this is a good place to get info. let me know if I can help.

Old 03-01-2007, 05:53 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
TAMPA - hands down!

Old 03-01-2007, 06:44 PM

192 posts, read 1,164,847 times
I just thought those things were a broad brush indication that people in this society have become less considerate of others, rather than issues that were geographically specific to Tampa (or any other place).

I increasingly read news reports of hit and run accidents.......I can't imagine injuring someone and then leaving them on the curb!

Old 03-01-2007, 07:07 PM

393 posts, read 1,497,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyh View Post
1. When the traffic light turns red, expect 3 or more cars to run it. I actually had somebody beep and swerve around me and go on through the red light.
A-hole drivers are in abundance in St. Pete. as well. I've had that done to me.

And don't you love when you're slowing down to approach an already-red light and the genius directly behind you puts the pedal to the metal and cuts you off just so they can be one car closer to their destination?

Old 03-01-2007, 07:13 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,086,723 times
mandyh, those drivers aren't Floridians. Most of our drivers just drive into store fronts. Those drivers moved here from the northern cities.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:08 PM

Store fronts huh! What news report did I miss. I know there is a bunch of crazy drivers around here, but since we're just west of the airport, it's mostly just commuter's in a hurry to meet the undertaker!

Old 03-01-2007, 08:24 PM

21 posts, read 104,505 times
Being from Chicago, now living in F-a-y-e-t-t-e-v-i-l-l-e, A-R, and soon to move to the Tampa Bay area, I'm looking forward to driving among people how have somewhere to go and are purposeful about getting there. I'm so tired of sitting behind people who sit still at a yellow light waiting for it to turn red that I don't know what to do. I think I'm going to like this place.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:56 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,378,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyh View Post
We moved here in Oct and I like living in the Tampa area. We came from a rural area in Maryland and these are some things I've noticed since moving here that are different. I dont know if these things are indicative to this area or if its like this in most large cities.

2. If you are a pedestrian, watch out! They will run your a** over.

3. Nobody knows what the cart rack's are for in the grocery store parking lot's. I generally have to get out and move a cart so I can park. I must be one of the few people that unloads the groceries and pushes the cart into a cart rack.

Oh well. just thought I would share some of the odd ball things that I have noticed since living here. Has anybody else noticed things that are different, but not on the "questions to ask list" when moving to a new area?
What part of Tampa do you live? I know that my Publix in South Tampa I actually see the people retuning the carts all the way to the entrance, or handing them off to the next person going in to shop.

I know exactly what your talking about regarding the red lights, I always hesitate before going on green...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay