Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2008, 04:31 AM

135 posts, read 514,808 times

Advertisements

I have the chance to move to Long Island in a very short while. The home in LI i would be moving to is decent size in not the prime but decent area of Bay shore. It will have 4 bedrooms. I'm currently in a 3 bed pool home. Caught between these two places. For those living in Spring Hill, why should I stay or why should I go? I've been fine here, have 2 children still in diapers. There's good and bad to both. I won't need to commute for work in any of these places. Just a place to raise my kids. Will probably work once they are a bit bigger and in Preschool. I'm planning on being a kindergarten teacher in the future, already have a bachelor's just need my education courses. Don't have family or friends here though. I would like reasons on both sides. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 09:02 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
I have lived in several different places over the years. You didn't say if you have family in FL or LI but from my POV if you have family near by that would be a big plus. Unfortunately, I never had that option and my kids grew up without having family near by.

The weather could be another factor to consider, some ppl don't mind the cold while others hate the winter weather. Other folks hate the year round 'heat'.

If I were you I would sit down and make a list of good and bad for both places. Then make your decision.

You can also ask on the LI board. Maybe someone there has moved back from either FL or another area.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:18 PM

137 posts, read 545,695 times
You mentioned a place to raise your kids. IMO...Hands down...Long Island is the answer. You also mentioned teaching in the future. Again...LI salary blows FL away.

If you are happy here and think you will regret moving then don't.

I live in Spring Hill and the only thing I would truly miss about FL if we left would be the weather.

Good Luck!!

Old 12-20-2008, 03:12 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
OK, here's playing devils' advocate to try to get you thinking about pros/cons of relocating to LI:
Make sure your job/income will be able to cover LI's outrageous property taxes and the cost of your education credits. Bayshore has its issues as well. Make sure you check out the area thoroughly before moving. The seedy sections of Bayshore are pretty bad. Will your kids be going to that school district? Are you ok with that? Are you moving to be closer to family? If looking for help/support from them, is that a realistic thought? Many people move thinking they'll get more support only to find they don't have much more contact with family as they did from 1,000 miles away.
But most importantly, don't move without a job in place.

Good luck in your decision.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:12 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,585,482 times
Have a very good friend that lived in Spring Hill/Brandon for 21 years, her family is in LI.....Deer Park, having no family down here, she got a nice promotion and is on her way back to LI, she will be near all family members and will have peace of mind, I don't know if they will buy or rent, but they know the area extremely well and have relatives in construction that can help with home remodeling and such. Family is everything to her.

Take a pc of paper, put pros/cons and list everything, from weather to taxes and heating oil and see where you stand. If LI will give you peace of mind, and better education for your children, go for it. Florida is not going anywhere (unless we fall into the gulf) people move back and forth everyday.
My friends late parents moved back and forth 4 times over 20 yrs and finally stayed in Fl. they ran out of money going back and forth.

Follow your heart........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay