U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2008, 11:13 AM

26 posts, read 121,948 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to Riverview with my boyfriend Kendall and we are looking to make new friends. We moved from Milwaukee and had a lot of friends there from college and work. We moved down here for a change of pace and the weather, but are having a hard time making friends! I now work from home so finding friends at work isn't as easy and we both aren't huge bar or club people. Anyone have any suggestions? We aren't looking for only gay friends, I'm just hoping to meet some people with common interests that would enjoy hanging out. I'm 25 and my boyfriend is 29. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated!! Thanks

~Lee
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 09:42 AM

403 posts, read 1,532,986 times
Tampa isn't really a gay friendly city.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:55 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,080,394 times
I have a few gay friends, and believe that the city of Tampa is gay friendly. Check out the Gaybor section of Ybor City, there is a store there called MC Film on 8th and 15th, the owners know LOTS about the area. There is a great restaurant down there called Streetcar Charlies(good food), and several bars that cater to the gay clientele....the Gyabor district of Ybor City has over 100 members, worth a look.
AS far as meeting people in general, what do you guys like to do? There are sites like meetup, you can volunteer, and there is about any activity you can think of that can be done in the Bay area(Except something involving snow or ice)....

Old 12-29-2008, 09:00 PM

24 posts, read 55,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwflconch View Post
Couldn't agree more save for your grammatical error.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:23 PM

13 posts, read 62,574 times
There are a lot of gay couples in Tampa Bay. The Tampa Bay Bears is a great gay club for social functions. Basically hairy men (bears) and admirers of bears. Very nice group of guys. Check it out at TampaBayBears.com. Georgies Alibi is a fun place to hang out in St Pete. A gay bar and food is also served. Tuesday nights is 2 for 1. The weekend is very busy at night and a good place to meet people. The Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence has Gay Bingo the first Saturday(I believe) of every month next door to Georgie's Alibi. It's a lot of fun. Craigslist is a good source for meeting people that may have some similar interests. In June, is St Pete Pride on Central Avenue in St Pete (the largest Gay Pride Parade in Florida. The Saturday morning market(unitl June 1st) is in downtown St Pete. It is very popular and a also a good place to meet people. Feel free to email me for more info. Moderator cut: email

Last edited by Keeper; 12-31-2008 at 08:47 AM.. Reason: not a good idea to put in your email address

Old 12-30-2008, 08:50 PM

11,447 posts, read 13,972,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwflconch View Post
Tampa is very gay friendly. I wouldn't say Brandon or Riverview is though.

Try meeting some friends on craigslist. They have a "just friends" section I'm pretty sure.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:26 PM

30 posts, read 106,580 times
Quote:
I'm just hoping to meet some people with common interests that would enjoy hanging out. I'm 25 and my boyfriend is 29. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated!!
Hi,

What are your interests?
There are meet ups ( Meet up.com) where you can sign up for, there might be something at your interest. Check out their site.

Good luck!

Old 01-03-2009, 08:43 AM

26 posts, read 121,948 times
Thank you for your suggestions everyone! I'm going to take a look at all the websites that were suggested and let you know what I think.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 6,021 times
Hi Lee
My name is Doug and my partners name is Joe. We moved to the Brandon Riverview area in Sept 08. Joe is a native to Florida and I'm from the Johnson City Tennessee area where we met 12 years ago.
We are in our mid 40's. We enjoy movies, eating out, etc. Like you and your boyfriend we are not into the bar seen.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:16 PM

17,815 posts, read 24,357,627 times
Well I am straight and married but coming from Southern CA to FL I would hardly say this is an open minded area.

You have a local population that resents people from out of state never mind someone with a different sexual orientation.

I have heard slang words used for gays and other minorities used openly here that you wouldn't dare say out loud in other parts of the country.

I am not saying everyone is that way, but to say Tampa and the surrounding area is progressive and open minded would be lying.

Anytime TBO runs a story on gay marriage or gay issues many hateful comments are posted. More con than pro.

Tampa public schools here were still segregated up until the early 70s. This is not an open minded area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay