U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 09:26 AM
Caa Caa started this thread

940 posts, read 2,279,396 times

Advertisements

To put in a nutshell. My husband, 6 year old daughter and I are thinking about moving back to Florida. WE used to live in Cape Coral, but God forbid, we would never ever move back there. WE like the Palm Harbor, Tarpon area, but now that we have a dughter, we have many questions.
1. Are there any good, Christian(not too radical though) schools that go from Kindergarten thru High School? If so, can you name them or get a web site that I can look at. We live in Baton Rouge now and all the kids here have to go to private unless you want a degenerate kid(the schools here rank as the worst in the country almost)
2. Are there a lot of people who are there to stay-non transients? Most families here have roots and we are hoping to move to an area where our child may have the chance to have life longs friends.
3. Are there a lot of soccer, tennis and sports instruction for children, and lots of indoor party places and fun places for kids to go to?
4. Are people there friendly, or just in a hurry like here? It was so nice here before Katrina brought a lot of rude New Orleanians here. Now, most people here seem to have turned into rude people themselves.
5. Are there many families there or mostly retirees? How about food, and good places with flavorful food? Being from BR now, we are used to great food with a lot of flavor.
Thanks to all or anyone who answers to this long post! Happy New Year to you and God Bless!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 12:41 PM

19 posts, read 79,748 times
Why oh why would you move back to Florida right now? People are leaving in droves, and the economy here will take a lot longer to recover than in other parts of the country. Housing prices will keep dropping until 2010. Unless you live somewhere REALLY BAD (like Somalia), I would stay away from Florida at least till the recession ends.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:15 PM

8,488 posts, read 18,662,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caa View Post
To put in a nutshell. My husband, 6 year old daughter and I are thinking about moving back to Florida. WE used to live in Cape Coral, but God forbid, we would never ever move back there. WE like the Palm Harbor, Tarpon area, but now that we have a dughter, we have many questions.
1. Are there any good, Christian(not too radical though) schools that go from Kindergarten thru High School? If so, can you name them or get a web site that I can look at. We live in Baton Rouge now and all the kids here have to go to private unless you want a degenerate kid(the schools here rank as the worst in the country almost)
2. Are there a lot of people who are there to stay-non transients? Most families here have roots and we are hoping to move to an area where our child may have the chance to have life longs friends.
3. Are there a lot of soccer, tennis and sports instruction for children, and lots of indoor party places and fun places for kids to go to?
4. Are people there friendly, or just in a hurry like here? It was so nice here before Katrina brought a lot of rude New Orleanians here. Now, most people here seem to have turned into rude people themselves.
5. Are there many families there or mostly retirees? How about food, and good places with flavorful food? Being from BR now, we are used to great food with a lot of flavor.
Thanks to all or anyone who answers to this long post! Happy New Year to you and God Bless!
I will answer you unlike others that have a hard on for a certain state and post nonsense.

Palm Harbor has some very good public schools, they also have quite a few private schools but I don't have enough info on them.

The north Pinellas area is not a very transient area and there are many families. The East Lake area is very nice and a good place for a family.

There are quite a few soccer clubs, baseball, gymnastics etc. to keep the kids busy.

For the most part I found the people in the area very likable but it is a bit crowded in the areas around US 19, East lake Rd. You will always find some rude ones but for the most part the people are pleasant.

For food you will have many of your normal chain restaurants but also many mom and pops with very good food.

I would definaitely take Palm Harbor over Tarpon but that is just my personal preference, both areas are very nice.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:16 PM

8,488 posts, read 18,662,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rioasad View Post
Why oh why would you move back to Florida right now? People are leaving in droves, and the economy here will take a lot longer to recover than in other parts of the country. Housing prices will keep dropping until 2010. Unless you live somewhere REALLY BAD (like Somalia), I would stay away from Florida at least till the recession ends.
Might you have any facts to back up your statements?

Old 12-31-2008, 09:29 PM

611 posts, read 1,307,354 times
Well Riosad may be exaggerating a tad bit, but Florida is not exactly the easiest state to live in right now. The job market is really poor.

To the OP Pinellas County is FULL of parks, no problem in that department! And the YMCA has many nice branches all over the county.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,877 times
Default Palm Harbor

I own a house in Lake Shore Estates. It's an older established community on the west side of Lake Tarpon. Most of the people who live there are there to stay. I inherited my house from my aunt who bought the house new in 1956. My son and daughter-in-law lived there for about 5 years and loved that they could walk the neighborhood in the evenings and feel safe. For $25 a year they could use the boat dock onto Lake Tarpon, which was walking distance from the house. They had to move because of my son's job. I've had this house on sale and am now getting ready to change it to a rental. I'm sure there are other properties down there like mine. (from the Riosad's response, I'm guessing there are plenty!) It's a hop, skip and jump to Tarpon Springs, or the beaches. I'd suggest you look for an old established community.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:59 PM

Thanks for your kind reply. Where would I find the older communities? Also, are there any neighborhoods where the kids go to the school that is in that neighborhood, or is it bussing all over. Also, any word on private schools you know about?

Old 01-05-2009, 12:24 PM

24 posts, read 83,796 times
Wow, how do you have more info then the rest of us?
With what facts can you back this statement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioasad View Post

Old 01-05-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivermyst View Post
I own a house in Lake Shore Estates. It's an older established community on the west side of Lake Tarpon. Most of the people who live there are there to stay. I inherited my house from my aunt who bought the house new in 1956. My son and daughter-in-law lived there for about 5 years and loved that they could walk the neighborhood in the evenings and feel safe. For $25 a year they could use the boat dock onto Lake Tarpon, which was walking distance from the house. They had to move because of my son's job. I've had this house on sale and am now getting ready to change it to a rental. I'm sure there are other properties down there like mine. (from the Riosad's response, I'm guessing there are plenty!) It's a hop, skip and jump to Tarpon Springs, or the beaches. I'd suggest you look for an old established community.
Thanks for all replies_I hope we can make the right decisions!

Old 01-07-2009, 07:41 AM

Thank you for replies. Anyone have any thing to tell me about Lutz, Florida? Crime rate, population demographics, school system, job market for RN and Xray Tech? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or