Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 06:42 PM

267 posts, read 1,139,047 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I need some info here. My grandma is going to be moving from LI to Fl sometime by May 1. Can anyone tell me anything about the senior community of Sun City? Is it a good community? Clean, caring people, activities to keep her busy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2007, 11:58 PM

598 posts, read 2,263,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniemom View Post
Hey everyone, I need some info here. My grandma is going to be moving from LI to Fl sometime by May 1. Can anyone tell me anything about the senior community of Sun City? Is it a good community? Clean, caring people, activities to keep her busy?
My folks have lived there for years. They like it there because the community is huge and offers alot of different activities. It is well manicured and clean, gated and many housing styles and prices to choose from. Actually within Sun City are several communities. Please feel free to ask any questions and I will try to get answers for you

Old 03-06-2007, 04:34 PM

34 posts, read 122,934 times
Default How about this situation

My parents are going to be living with me. Are there any areas in Tampa that are good for seniors and singles? A place where they can feel safe and remain active and where I can escape and catch a good movie or show every once and a while?

Old 03-06-2007, 05:38 PM

598 posts, read 2,263,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coming2FL View Post
My parents are going to be living with me. Are there any areas in Tampa that are good for seniors and singles? A place where they can feel safe and remain active and where I can escape and catch a good movie or show every once and a while?
Considering this area is full of retirees I'm sure there are safe convenient neighborhoods around Tampa that will suit both of you fine. I'm really not familiar enough with Tampa living to guide you in a direction though. Maybe someone in Tampa can give some insight or try posting a new topic if you don't get much traction for your question here.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:44 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,360,895 times
My mom is originally from LI, moved to orlando in 97, and is now building a house in Sun City area in a brand new 55+ community called Valencia Lakes by GL Homes. You MUST check this place out, BEAUTIFUL homes on lots that are landscaped, SOcial Club, Activity Club. LOTS to do. She is single. We are very excited for her, her house will be ready in 2 weeks. Home prices start at 220k for about 1500sq ft 3/2 with 2 car garage. I highly recommend a look, its off US301 just north of Sun City Center Blvd.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 8,112 times
Hi everybody,

Me and my wife are thinking about moving to Florida as well. (Right now we are living in Spain)

And we are also interested in Sun city. It looks gorgious and sounds even better!

But can somebody tell me what the cost of living more or less is? I do not have a clue about cost of groceries, water, electricity etc.

Thanks

Old 02-08-2008, 11:58 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,298,810 times
The cost that a lot of people are concerned about is the monthly home owner's association fees (HOA) - I think they can be up to $400/month. You get a lot in return - maintenance, cable/internet, shuttle bus service (I think) around the SSC area, and use of facilities such as the pool, fitness center, and hundreds of social clubs (everything from German Club, dance club, computer, etc). You can find a small villa (1 bd/1 bath) for $45k to a mansion at $500k. I'm not sure if HOA are based on the home value, or the year you become a resident.

Water depends on whether your HOA covers lawn irrigation or if you're responsible for it. All costs for utilities are basically the same as anywhere else in FLA.

SSC is utopia - beautifully manicured lawns, pretty strict rules on what you're allowed to do to your home's exterior. It is a great place for retirees in my opinion.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:19 AM

20 posts, read 91,485 times
Is Sun City pet friendly???? Are there nice areas in the 80k to 90k???
Thanks for the input....Retirement next year......

Old 04-01-2008, 07:06 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,672,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrypicker View Post
Is Sun City pet friendly???? Are there nice areas in the 80k to 90k???
Thanks for the input....Retirement next year......

SCC is very pet friendly although you would have a hard time if you needed a fenced yard. My Grandparents moved to SCC in 1986 and at the time they had the only fenced yard in the area. There is however a large dog park and you will see plenty of people walking their pets in the evening.

You also may be able to find something in the 90k range although it may be a villa. You should check out realtor.com to see what is in your range. As for nice areas, all of SCC itself is a nice area so you should have no problems there. My Grandma is still living there and loves it even though she had sold her house and moved to the Lake Towers independant living facility.

Hope you find what you are looking for!

Old 04-01-2008, 12:59 PM

20 posts, read 91,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summergal View Post
My folks have lived there for years. They like it there because the community is huge and offers alot of different activities. It is well manicured and clean, gated and many housing styles and prices to choose from. Actually within Sun City are several communities. Please feel free to ask any questions and I will try to get answers for you
Saw your answer on Sun City....Do you know if most of the +55 condos are pet friendly???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: