U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2009, 03:30 PM

19 posts, read 51,160 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm thinking of moving to the Tampa area from Vermont in approximately 6-9 months to be closer to family but want to find out some specifics for the questions below, as while I want to be closer to family (they are in New Port Richey and in Ft Lauderdale, which isn't close I know, but I think I will like Tampa more). Some background info - I'm 24 and male (25 by the time I'd be moving), single (and plan to be for a while), not really big into bars, clubs etc but look forward to being able to go to see professional sports (Rays and Lightning) even if neither is my favorite team - as my current town of about 500 in Vermont has no such team and the closest is Boston, 4-5 hours away). So overall the 'young professional life' of bars clubs etc I really do not care that much about - I'd be happier in a boring safe area. I also really don't care about living near the beach.

1) The most important question probably - what is Tampa area like for a young (male) professional? Specifically - do companies tend to hire younger folks or do they have no tolerance for younger folks? I am in IT (I work with software development teams but am not a programmer) - what is the IT market like there? I went on Dice and was very surprised at the number of tech jobs available. I read that Forbes ranked Tampa area as the worst city in the country for young professionals - so I'm looking for info as to why.

2) How has the economic downturn hit Tampa in regard to the cost of housing, rent, and utilities? What is your average electricity bill (my concern is cost to run AC)? How much is cable and internet there? What is the cost of a semi-modern 1-2 bedroom apartment? I also want to look at cost of living differencial - this seems strange but I want to compare to here (where we have VERY HIGH cost of living): How much is a gallon of gas and milk? What is the cost for produce and meat there (just give some examples, say a lb of Bananas, a lb of chicken, head of lettuce, etc)? Food prices here are outrageous so want to know if cheaper there.

3) Most of my job apps to Tampa (like most places) I have recieved no response on, and if I did I'm only getting 'looking for local candidates only' so I may have to move there without a job with about $11,000. How long do you think I could live on that there? Before you say 'what are you doing moving in this economy without a job' - I'm pretty desperate to leave Vermont at this point.

4) Based on the above - what areas do you think are the best places to live?

Thanks

Last edited by DurinDurin; 01-04-2009 at 03:41 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 04:57 PM

611 posts, read 1,400,671 times
1. Tampa has a lot for younger people to do! I don't know about IT jobs, Tampas not exactly full of those (Orlando has more, I did Tech Support over there, when I moved here I couldnt find a similar position, so now I am working for a Health Insurance Company) Tampa has one of the better nightlife scenes in Florida (I would say #2 after Miami)

2. I personally have not felt the effects of the downturn, but I have heard alot of horror stories from people (even remotely) working in housing,financial ect.

3. I know this is not exactly the most honest thing to do, but if you are determined to have a job when you get here, use your relatives address in New Prt Richey, its almost impossible to get a job when your out of the area. NPR is a normal commute for a lot of folks (working in Tampa) so it wont raise any flags if you use that address. The phone number dosent matter because we are a nomadic society and I know plenty of people who have out of state phone numbers.

PS. If you rent a room from someone or rent a cheap unit 11K is plenty of savings to get you through until you find a job!

Old 01-04-2009, 05:20 PM

Thanks for your reply. Are there a lot of health insurance companies in or around Tampa? Those are one of the main types of companies that have the type of system I work with.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:51 PM

13,768 posts, read 36,900,411 times
Cigna has a big office in Tampa...
MetLife not health but insurance also has an office in Tampa.

You do need a local address if you expect to get any replies.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:39 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,083,240 times
1) I was once a Young Professional, and now I guess im a middle aged professional, and have always enjoyed the Tampa Bay area(im originally from Long Island, NY). from all major sports, except basketball-but thats only about 90 min away in Orlando), to all major concerts, festivals, etc., there is alot going on the Bay area. And all within close prox if you choose to live where most everyting is situated. I find South Tampa most desirable, it is within minutes(not more than 15) from great neighborhoods if not around the corner in your own for dining, local mom and pop retail, bars and pubs, sports and concerts, and theater, and museums, parks...then you have St. pete about 30 min away with another type of culture(a little more bohemian and slower paced) and beautiful beaches(which I know you say your not interested, but once you go, you may understand the draw)...any kind of outdoor activity, all year round.
Decent apartments can be found between 750+ in the South Tampa area for a one bedroom.
South Tampa is basically south of Kennedy Blvd, neighborhoods like Hyde Park, Davis Islands, Palma Ceia, Beach Park, Sunset Park, Bayshore Gardens, etc....
As far as the IT, I have a slew of friends in IT for ALL industries(health care, education, financial services, manufacturing, telecommunications, etc..), and all types from programmers, to software engineers...and they do VERY VERY well here.
AS far as Forbes, I think they were looking at the Upper end type schools like MIT, Harvard, Yale, etc...and where those graduates end up going...whether they enjoy it there is a personal preference in my opinion(you couldnt pay me enough to live in NYC, Chicago, Dallas, Wash DC)

2) As far as the economic downtown, there are small business closing left and right(lots of service types),and big companies are downsizing, I think thats the rule of the land right now...but with that there are many entrepenuers, and northerners such as yourself moving there businesses too...its been tough on some, I havent been effected, nor my friends(knock on wood)....Housing has come way back down to 2004 figures, and more reasonable.
I have a 1600 sq foot house, electric runs about 170 in summers, and hovering around 90 now. One bedrooms can get you from 50-120/month. You can get cable, interenet and phone in a bundle from either Verizon or Brighthouse for about 109 per month. Gas is at 1.52/gallon, milk is at 3.50(or 2.79 on sale)/gallon, Bread 1.50. Movies around 8.50. Ive seen a lb of bananas at my local farmers market down the street for .49 cents.

3) It would be better to have a local address, or at least let them know you plan to be living in the area at a specific time(April for example). $11,000 will get you by for about 4 months, depending of you spending habits(more or less).

Here is a latest exceprt regarding my opnion of the Tampa area:
Tampa I Am: Tampa I Am blog - 2 years old today!!

Old 01-05-2009, 09:58 PM

Thanks Tampa guy for your responses - that is a big help when it comes to the cost of living.

Cable/internet is about the same here...you cant get milk less than 4 bucks here (which is kinda strange since VT is a dairy state!), bread no less than 2.50 (3 or more if you want something other than wonderbread). Doesn't seem like much diff but it adds up over time. Gas is also 1.70

Elec is a bit high...I'm used to 30 a month! I don't even own an AC for the summer. It's still way up in the air but I'll be visiting in March and probably won't decide until then.

Thanks for the responses everyone

Old 01-06-2009, 09:45 AM

13,768 posts, read 36,900,411 times
You can also get food from a food network (Share florida) that will help with the cost of food regardless of your income.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:51 AM

611 posts, read 1,400,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creoena View Post
Thanks for your reply. Are there a lot of health insurance companies in or around Tampa? Those are one of the main types of companies that have the type of system I work with.
Try UHC, I work for them, they have a decent sized office in Oldsmar.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:45 PM

3 posts, read 6,427 times
Being in the PPO's with the larger companies seems to be the way to go. You can get quotes at [url=http://www.SafeHavenPlan.com]Flash Intro Page[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay