Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 12:22 PM

384 posts, read 2,221,691 times

Advertisements

I just moved here a few months ago and recently went to a new dentist that advertises themselves as "cosmetic dentistry" and at my appt they "discovered" 3 fillings and I need 4 sealants. While they showed me the pictures of my teeth on a fancy TV monitor I didn't really know what I was looking at. I made the appts for the 3 fillings and 4 sealants (after they talked me into an expensive electric toothbrush and some expensive floride rinse-I almost bought the tongue cleaner but had to say no to that before going broke)...but now I am wondering if since they are a cosmetic dentist that they aren't kind of making up stuff for me to have done and maybe a more traditional dentist wouldn't want to do all the sealants. I have never had sealants in my life while I have had a lot of fillings, so I am ok with those. Does anyone have any opinions on this? Should I get a second opinion? My insurance doesn't cover a lot of this. Any input would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 12:40 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,641,705 times
get a second opinion and don't waste money on sealants

Old 01-05-2009, 01:10 PM

Thanks for the input Mike! I appreciate it!

Old 01-05-2009, 04:59 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
I agree go to a regular dentist. I can recommend Friendly Smiles, I know several ppl who have gone to them.
Friendly Smiles Dental Care - Tampa, Fl- Welcome

Old 01-05-2009, 06:37 PM

Thanks, Keeper, Friendly Smiles isn't too far away from me.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:42 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,378,770 times
I once had an "Aesthetic" Dentist, and i heard the same things...seemed like everytime ai went to get a cleanign al they told me about is what more they could do to make me 'perfect'...well I had good teeth, went to see antoher regualr dentist, and low and behold, i am always getting a clean bill of dental health every 6 months, without the haslte of alway having to be 'sold' something else...i told them all i wanted was healthy teeth and gums so i can keep them the rest of my life...and a nice smile.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:49 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times
I am up in TN and I miss my FL dentist so so much. I had a great dentist in New Port Richey. I have never heard of sealants. I would definitely get another opinion.

FYI- FL has "great" Dental Plans, not insurance. You pay an annual fee and you get a discounted price for all your work. I used to have Ameriplan and between my DH and I we saved thousand's of dollars.

I'm going to make up all my savings this week when I go to a local dentist here for a $1050.00 root canal.

This was my dentist:
Vincent Monticciolo, DDS
Vincent Monticciolo 4530 Grand Blvd New Port Richey FL 34652 (727) 849-4246 General Dentistry
Website
Red Fee Schedule
Extractions, Oral Surgery, Endodontics, Full Dentures, Cosmetic Dentistry,
Mon 8-5; Tue 8-5; Wed 8-5; Thu 8-5; Fri 8-5

And this is what I paid for services with Ameriplan:
http://providersearch.ameriplanusa.c...aspx?Zip=34652

It's insane. It would be cheaper for me to fly down to FL for my root canal than to do it here. Talk about a rip. At least you have options. Good luck.

Last edited by ylisa7; 01-05-2009 at 06:58 PM..

Old 01-09-2009, 05:55 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,650,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
get a second opinion and don't waste money on sealants
Sealants are phenomenal. My son has had them on his teeth since he was 4 years old (he is now 17 and back then they were twice as expensive to get done) - we had them re-done a couple years ago to withstand the next few select years. Due to those, he's had absolutely no dental issues. They are the one thing I am very grateful to have done for his teeth.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:29 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,465,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sueinge View Post
I just moved here a few months ago and recently went to a new dentist that advertises themselves as "cosmetic dentistry" and at my appt they "discovered" 3 fillings and I need 4 sealants. While they showed me the pictures of my teeth on a fancy TV monitor I didn't really know what I was looking at. I made the appts for the 3 fillings and 4 sealants (after they talked me into an expensive electric toothbrush and some expensive floride rinse-I almost bought the tongue cleaner but had to say no to that before going broke)...but now I am wondering if since they are a cosmetic dentist that they aren't kind of making up stuff for me to have done and maybe a more traditional dentist wouldn't want to do all the sealants. I have never had sealants in my life while I have had a lot of fillings, so I am ok with those. Does anyone have any opinions on this? Should I get a second opinion? My insurance doesn't cover a lot of this. Any input would be appreciated!
It never occurred to me that a dentist would act like a bad mechanic. But I used a cosmetic dentist in Hyde Park (Swan ave by the village) who claimed I had nine cavities. I couldn't believe it, but she told me four on one side, five on the other. I went to another dentist in Brandon for a second opinion and they looked at me like I was crazy. "Who told you that you had nine cavities?" they asked. The new dentist assured me I was fine, and that...was that.

Get a second opinion.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,492 times
Default Ripped OFF!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
It never occurred to me that a dentist would act like a bad mechanic. But I used a cosmetic dentist in Hyde Park (Swan ave by the village) who claimed I had nine cavities. I couldn't believe it, but she told me four on one side, five on the other. I went to another dentist in Brandon for a second opinion and they looked at me like I was crazy. "Who told you that you had nine cavities?" they asked. The new dentist assured me I was fine, and that...was that.

Get a second opinion.
I had the same experience with this same Dentist in Hyde Park, only she found like 14 cavities, and I've been to dentist in the past, NOT ONE of them said I had cavities!!!!! Also have you ever been charged a "consultation fee" for just seeing a dentist?????? Avoid this Dentist!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay