Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 01:58 PM

77 posts, read 205,595 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,
I'm a recent graduate who will be moving to the Saint Petersburg area soon to start work. I'm 23, and I hardly know anybody in the Bay Area. Even worse, I don't drink alcohol and don't smoke.
I've been told that the Saint Pete area in general is bad for young professionals. How do I meet people and make friends? Any advice?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 04:36 PM

156 posts, read 493,301 times
A couple of weeks ago, a gentleman posted a similiar question. Here's my answer:

//www.city-data.com/forum/tampa...as-county.html

Old 01-08-2009, 04:46 PM

... and if are going to live in St Pete, live in the downtown area. You might be able to rent one of the new condos. Downtown St Pete is lively and beautiful.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:51 PM

Thanks for your replies.
Actually, I know where I'll be living - it'll be near Feather Sound in St. Pete / Clearwater. Life is tough for people who don't drink or hang out a lot in clubs!

Old 01-08-2009, 10:42 PM

I don't drink, smoke or hang out at clubs and I have a great time. Feather Sounds is a great location. Life will be very convenient for you. You'll have easy access to one of the best gyms in town: Carillion Fitness at St Anthony's Hospital. It's not your typical gym - doctors and registered dietians on site. Courtside grill is a nice higher end sports bar and grill to hang out, watch sports and fights. Carillion Parkway has a very nice nature trail/track to take stroll or jog. If I think of some other things, I'm most them.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:01 PM

Hey,
Thanks for your replies. I feel encouraged!
If anyone else is moving to that part of Tampa Bay and is facing a similar problem , do get in touch!
Thanks!

Old 03-27-2010, 03:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,417 times
No no no....do not make that mistake.....this is not the city for an educated youth.....run as you can........there is nothing here ......Go north and keep going........

Old 03-27-2010, 06:07 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,225,857 times
You meet people in St. Petersburg the same way you met people where you're moving from, I guess. The only thing that would make Tampa Bay bad for "young professionals" (as opposed to "young amateurs", I suppose) would be the lack of a job and/or pay. As far as not drinking-don't let that stop you from going out and enjoying the night life. I don't drink but I still go out to clubs to listen to music, meet people, etc.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:21 PM

13 posts, read 29,990 times
I moved here just a few months ago too, and I can't really say too many nice things about St. Pete (especially downtown st. pete). I work there, and I see a lot of nice people on a regular basis, but I've seen people dealing drugs outside of our office, I see quite a few gang members patrolling the area, and downtown st. pete defininately has a large homeless population. Not the safest area to be honest. I think northern part of st. pete and Clearwater are much nicer areas. There is probably more stuff going on in Tampa, but that really depends on what you are interested in.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:58 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,304,420 times
Drug dealers are everywhere. I'm sure you'd see just as many deals go down at a McDonald's, especially at night. Gangs do have a presence in Tampa and St. Pete, but I'd hardly consider Downtown St. Pete to be gang territory. It seems, at least in St. Pete, that you'd have to go out of your way to end up in gang territory.

North St. Pete probably has less crime, but it also is more apartment complex-y and has less walkability. Clearwater is probably even safer, though there is a noticeable lack of things to do up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay