U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 02:41 PM

7 posts, read 26,385 times

Advertisements

Any problem with gators in Clearwater Beach area ? Will be moving there in 90 days and someone told me there is no breeze from the ocean. Is that true ?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 02:57 PM

22 posts, read 91,909 times
Gators are mostly in swampland ponds and lakes and not on the beach. I have lived in rural area of Pasco for 15 years and have never seen a real gator in the wild. Yes, there is a nice breeze off the Gulf of Mexico but the waves are puny compared to the Atlantic side of Florida.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:14 PM

13,773 posts, read 35,110,904 times
Gators are in freshwater not saltwater. As far as a breeze, there isn't a constant breeze off of the gulf, but you will have more of a breeze there than inland. Having sailed a hobby cat around Clearwater for years there is often a light breeze except around noon during the summer when it seems the breeze dies down.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:32 PM

2 posts, read 19,372 times
There not a "problem" but they are in almost in ever single lake....

Old 01-10-2009, 10:48 PM

7 posts, read 26,385 times
Thanks for the responses !

Old 01-11-2009, 09:58 AM

156 posts, read 428,566 times
Yes sir, there are plenty of Gators on Clearwater Beach. However, these Gators are harmless for the most part and have few teeth. They tend to be loud, obnoxious, and highly intoxicated. Their communication skills seem to be below average, only able to make a chomping expression with their arms and few words such as "Gator Bait!". Most of them can be found incoherent laying under a picnic table or face first in a uranal. Beware of these types of Gators!

This valuable information has to be worth at least one 'Reputation' mark.

Last edited by a_fl_vol; 01-11-2009 at 10:39 AM..

Old 01-11-2009, 10:27 AM

2,637 posts, read 11,510,648 times
For safety you should always assume that any body of fresh water has gators. Even if it didn't have any yesterday there may be one there today, they move around. Keep toddlers and dogs away from the water's edge, especially during mating season. During droughts they sometimes enter swimming pools. I have seen them sunning themselves on the side of the road within the city of Tampa, but not often. Sometimes they do go in saltwater but this is rare. Call animal control if you see one and they will trap it and release it elsewhere.

Just use some common sense, keep an eye out for them and keep your distance. Never, ever feed them. If you see one, just leave it alone and it will return the favor.

Last edited by tilli; 01-11-2009 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 01-11-2009, 06:37 PM

30 posts, read 115,953 times
On this "gator" topic, I have a black lab that loves swimming, jumping off docks, retrieving balls, etc, when we finally make the move down there I have thought about the possiblities of problems with gators and dogs. Question: Is it really that common to hear about dogs getting attacked by gators while swimming????

Old 01-11-2009, 07:16 PM

2,360 posts, read 4,698,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillgetter View Post
On this "gator" topic, I have a black lab that loves swimming, jumping off docks, retrieving balls, etc, when we finally make the move down there I have thought about the possiblities of problems with gators and dogs. Question: Is it really that common to hear about dogs getting attacked by gators while swimming????
Yes

Old 01-11-2009, 07:16 PM

156 posts, read 428,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillgetter View Post
Usually, if I human approaches a gator, the gator will take off. However, gators don't fear dogs. Gators are more likely to attack an animal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or