Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 01:09 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,360,578 times

Advertisements

Actually, I think that's a good question, D-R-B.

It seems childish for those who want to keep it a North/South thing. None of the history even happened in our lifetime or even during our parent's lifetimes. Guess it's sort of a rebel thing and I don't mean that word in reference to the war either.

I have heard cliches about my own area~ever heard of the Midwestern work ethic? Most of us have it, but we've also got less then ambitious people here, too.

But seriously, I don't believe that Southerners are friendlier or nicer or better people then those of us in northern states. Neither do I believe that they're stupid or uneducated or rednecks. In general, I have found that MOST people in all different areas of the country are friendly and decent people.

To me, we're the United States and I don't think any of us should be silly enough to think that our state or area should strike out on their own. Parts of the world don't particularly care for us and we all need each other. Together we're the most powerful and richest country on earth even though things aren't the best right now. It puzzles me when people encourage us to feel a gap between us.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:27 PM

61 posts, read 108,654 times
"I am not "bashing" the South....... I was just wondering why some southern people go out of their way to let everyone know that there "proud" of it?????????????"

And all the new FL residents from Latin America, Boston and NY dont do the same by all their stickers, hats, and flags hanging in their rearviews? Complaining that FL isnt like NY or wherever they came from. Ever been to Boca Raton where all the wealthier retirees from NY settle? Oh yeah, it's a real treat! Dont you think we natives have had enough, and the reason why MANY ARE LEAVING and have already left the state?

Old 01-17-2009, 01:32 PM

"Well, if the "southerners" would ever go up north an experience REAL service...... they might come back here and expect a little more than the "laid back/no hurry beach bum attitude" that we are so proud of."

That's just it. Native Floridians arent used to the hurry up, go go go lifestyle, and many dont want it. So coming down here and complaining how it aint like up there is rude. FL has already changed and become just like NYC/NJ, so what are the folks living down here complaining for? We are now aggressive, hurry up, always on the go, all about ourselves now (for the most part) and now you have the hot weather you've been craving, so why complain? The native Floridians are up in NC and TN now, enjoying what used to be enjoyable about FL.

Old 01-17-2009, 02:02 PM

55 posts, read 118,514 times
As a northerner who is proud of being from a small rural town in Vermont, I have to put in my two cents on this subject. I believe in the north we are taught to speak clearly with intent to make some sense of what we are thinking, we are taught to treat people with respect and fairness (sometimes fairness doesn't always equal niceness), we are taught to lead or get the heck out of the way (this is including but not limited to driving), and most importantly we are taught that pride is something that will be made evident by the way one carries themselves and not by the flag that is waving from our car or sewn onto the hats on our heads.

Old 01-17-2009, 02:50 PM

Wow, I didnt know "to treat people with respect" and "fairness" is an exclusive Northern thing. And as far as pride and how Northerners carry themselves, I'll have to pass on that comment. I dont know enough total strangers from the Northeast to call that one, but I have definitely "met" many on the roads and at times makes me sorta question that "treating people with respect" thing you mentioned.

Old 01-17-2009, 03:48 PM

55 posts, read 118,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier View Post
"Well, if the "southerners" would ever go up north an experience REAL service...... they might come back here and expect a little more than the "laid back/no hurry beach bum attitude" that we are so proud of."

That's just it. Native Floridians arent used to the hurry up, go go go lifestyle, and many dont want it. So coming down here and complaining how it aint like up there is rude. FL has already changed and become just like NYC/NJ, so what are the folks living down here complaining for? We are now aggressive, hurry up, always on the go, all about ourselves now (for the most part) and now you have the hot weather you've been craving, so why complain? The native Floridians are up in NC and TN now, enjoying what used to be enjoyable about FL.
I have to say you are sounding very contradictory in this comment... you say Native Floridians aren't used to the hurry up, go go go lifestyle then you say you've changed and now hurry up and are always on the go...
Oh and... I'm sorry but I don't think you can say with any sort of reality that Florida is "just like" NYC... I mean you can say it, just don't expect anyone to believe it.

I do have to agree with you that complaining is generally rude... I don't think complaining about someone's way of life is going to accomplish anything. I'm a firm believer in the saying "If you don't like it, feel free to leave." It is a free country after all... but complaining about things we can't change is also human nature.

Also, if you read my post, I never said that treating people with respect and fairness was exclusively a northern thing. That is just how I was raised and taught to behave and I happen to be from the north. I believe with a good bit of certainty that if a southern person or any person for that matter came to New England, they would be treated fairly. Fairly doesn't necessarily mean nicely. If you act like an ass, you'll get treated like an ass... if you act like a decent person, you will be treated like a decent person, regardless of your accent or state of residence.
Basically, I think what people are trying to say is that those bumper stickers, flags, t-shirts, etc. are very alienating. It's like a club and if you're not southern or originally from the south you are not eligible to join. I feel that (and I may be wrong) the north tends to be more open to all people regardless of your origins and seeing such separation is unnatural and uncomfortable.

Old 01-17-2009, 03:53 PM

892 posts, read 1,571,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier View Post

FL has already changed and become just like NYC/NJ, so what are the folks living down here complaining for? We are now aggressive, hurry up, always on the go, all about ourselves now (for the most part) The native Floridians are up in NC and TN now, enjoying what used to be enjoyable about FL.
Florida is NOTHING LIKE NYC/NJ. Have you even been to those places........ if you had, you wouldn't be able to make that comparison with a strait face.

Most "native Floridians" that i've met have never traveled around the country/world. They just "waste away in margaritaville"

If the "native Floridians" are moving to North Carolina and Tennessee.......
why don't we ask the natives of those states how THEY feel about that.

From what I've heard, North Carolina is pretty sick of being the "next Florida" already.

Old 01-17-2009, 03:57 PM

892 posts, read 1,571,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhladik12 View Post
I have to say you are sounding very contradictory in this comment... you say Native Floridians aren't used to the hurry up, go go go lifestyle then you say you've changed and now hurry up and are always on the go...
Oh and... I'm sorry but I don't think you can say with any sort of reality that Florida is "just like" NYC... I mean you can say it, just don't expect anyone to believe it I believe with a good bit of certainty that if a southern person or any person for that matter came to New England, they would be treated fairly. Fairly doesn't necessarily mean nicely. If you act like an ass, you'll get treated like an ass... if you act like a decent person, you will be treated like a decent person, regardless of your accent or state of residence.
Basically, I think what people are trying to say is that those bumper stickers, flags, t-shirts, etc. are very alienating. It's like a club and if you're not southern or originally from the south you are not eligible to join. I feel that (and I may be wrong) the north tends to be more open to all people regardless of your origins and seeing such separation is unnatural and uncomfortable.
I couldn't agree more.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhladik12 View Post
Oh and... I'm sorry but I don't think you can say with any sort of reality that Florida is "just like" NYC... I mean you can say it, just don't expect anyone to believe it.

I do have to agree with you that complaining is generally rude... I don't think complaining about someone's way of life is going to accomplish anything. I'm a firm believer in the saying "If you don't like it, feel free to leave." It is a free country after all... but complaining about things we can't change is also human nature.

Also, if you read my post, I never said that treating people with respect and fairness was exclusively a northern thing. That is just how I was raised and taught to behave and I happen to be from the north. I believe with a good bit of certainty that if a southern person or any person for that matter came to New England, they would be treated fairly. Fairly doesn't necessarily mean nicely. If you act like an ass, you'll get treated like an ass... if you act like a decent person, you will be treated like a decent person, regardless of your accent or state of residence.
Yes, I know what I said. I said Floridians (natives and those who have lived here for quite some time) dont act like they are always in a hurry/go go go attitude, but now, there are so many people that have that mindset (due to all the Northeasterners moving to FL) that FL has lost it's slow and easy going lifestyle. We are far outnumbered by all the agressive/go go go/get out of my way-types. And it didnt used to be that way. I never said I changed or the natives have changed, I am saying we are now outnumbered by all the NY/NJ folks, so if you want the in-your-face, drive agressively, "hurry up and wait" that you had in NY/NJ, now you got it, right here in FL. After a while, when you have soooooo many people that move here from a certain area and they act a certain way, that attitude and mindset takes over and becomes a new place. Example: South FL. A perfect example of what was and what it has become.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:38 PM

"Florida is NOTHING LIKE NYC/NJ. Have you even been to those places........ if you had, you wouldn't be able to make that comparison with a strait face."

I am talking about the people and the attitudes that are all too familiar now in FL. FL is far different than what it used to be like. If I want rude, in-your-face, and agressive, I can definitely find it pretty much anywhere in FL now. And it didnt used to be like that. So in some ways, FL is very much like NYC/NJ.

I'm not talking about history or shopping, or nightlife. I am talking about people and their attitudes.

PS - I am sure folks in NC are tired of the growth and becoming the next "Florida." Just like they got tired of FL becoming the 6th borough of NY, so they moved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay