Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 10:20 PM

55 posts, read 118,743 times

Advertisements

I am sorry but considering Florida the 6th borough of NY is ridiculous. I cannot imagine very many people share your opinion... hence the reason for the complaints you so despise. If people thought the style of living in Florida had become very much like NYC then they would not need to complain about the slowness right?
All I'm saying is one of the reasons people move to Florida is because they want a change of pace. Believe it or not some visitors or transplants enjoy the laid-back slower paced style of Florida. It's like this: In the winter, all we do is complain about how cold it is and wish for summer; in the heat of summer, all we do is complain about how unbearably hot it is and long for some cold air. People complain because we can. Don't take it so seriously or personally.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:43 AM

892 posts, read 1,577,267 times
Dude,

I live in the Tampa Bay area, Pinellas County.

Pinellas County is the most densely populated county in the state.

It is every bit as crazy here as south Florida. Crazy traffic, every man for himself, blah, blah, blah...........

Most of the "transplants" are from the midwest, upper- midwest, and other southern states, not NEARLY as many people from NY/NJ as south Florida.

The "in your face attitude" and "go go go" mentality are not at all exclusive to "northeasterners" Midwesterners and southerners are supposed to be "laid back" but when you cram everybody together- that goes out the window.

It sounds to me that many people in Florida get their opinions on "northeasterners" based on what they see here- RATHER THAN SPENDING ANY TIME UP NORTH FOR THEMSELVES.

Any "vacation" or "resort" area (Florida included) goes through the same issues of rudeness, overcrowding, ect.

IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WHERE THE PEOPLE ARE ALL FROM- but rather that there is so many people in a small area.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:15 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
Yes, Tampa (and the Tampa bay area) has a large number of "transplants"

Most of the "transplants" on the West coast of Florida are from the midwest, other southern states, the "up-state" areas of the northeast,
and a big presence from Michigan.

I have never met anyone (in all of my years here) from Mannhattan, Boston proper that choses to call this place home.

You may not see the window and bumper stickers I am referring to in DOWNTOWN TAMPA.........

But the Tampa bay area has MANY, MANY areas that are very "deep south"

Beleive it or not, some parts of Pinellas county, almost ALL OF PASCO county, ALL OF HERNANDO COUNTY, ALL OF POLK COUNTY, some parts of MANATEE county, and MANY, MANY parts od HILLSBOUROUGH county all have many areas that are like this.

Just take a drive around, our roads are LOADED with jacked-up trucks- And while most of them aren't flying confederate flags, if you look closely, you will see rebel flag liscence plates, bumper stickers, and window stickers.

I'm not making this stuff up....... and it really doesn't bother me that much....... ok, maybe a little!!!!!!!!

Seriously though, I'm just asking...... why don't people do this stuff up north?
I live in Hernando, I have also lived in Pasco and Pinellas. While we may have a good amount of southerners here there are also a very large presence of transplants.

You can go to some subdivisions that are almost all northerners here.

Besides that fact the southerners are also some of the nicest people I have met. Of course you may bump into some backwoods Bubba that isn't nice but you can get that with rude northerners also.

You probably need to get out more.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:01 AM

You live in Hernando County............

And I need to get out more?

I get out plenty. I deal with the "public" daily. I travel, and have traveled this country and the world.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:27 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
You live in Hernando County............

And I need to get out more?

I get out plenty. I deal with the "public" daily. I travel, and have traveled this country and the world.
Judging from your previous statements you definitely need to get out more.

I am guessing from your post that you think people that live in Hernando County don't travel. Brilliant.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Judging from your previous statements you definitely need to get out more.

I am guessing from your post that you think people that live in Hernando County don't travel. Brilliant.
NO, but there isn't many people up there compared to Pinellas and Hillsborough.

So giving your opinion on groups of people in the Tampa Bay area when you live in one of the most RURAL areas doesn't really make sense.

Not only that...... but this thread is about how many people in the south "go out of their way" to let people know that they are southern and "proud"- and how you don't see that up north.

If there is a place in the Tampa Bay area that can prove my point........ Hernando County DEFINATLY QUALIFIES. In addition to the other areas I mentioned.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:11 AM

61 posts, read 109,047 times
"I am sorry but considering Florida the 6th borough of NY is ridiculous."

You live in Vt. Visit S FL. You will see. FL has more NY'ers than anything else, and if you were to live in S FL, you would see.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:13 AM

"I travel, and have traveled this country and the world."

But nobody cares. The "I've traveled the world and seen the best diversity has to offer" and all that is great, but some folks dont care in FL where you been or how it's better elsewhere. You have a strong presence in FL (almost the entire S FL) so get over it if you see jacked up trucks and rebel flags. You moved here.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:17 AM

"NO, but there isn't many people up there compared to Pinellas and Hillsborough."

Again, nobody cares. Maybe some enjoy a slower pace and a little quiet. I'd much rather see jacked up trucks and rebel flags than people riding my bumper and giving me the finger for driving the speed limit.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:24 AM

I asked a freaking question........

Why is it that many people in the "south" go out of their way to let everyone know that they are "proud" of it..........

When nobody is questioning them in the first place.

Do you have an opinion on the QUESTION?

If not...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay