Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 11:59 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times

Advertisements

You said it Judi, driving in Fl is scary and it isn't people from NY.

They don't even take a road test in FL to get a license and many here(about 40%) drive with no car insurance.

That is why you have to carry uninsured motorist on your policy.

You can renew your DL over the phone in FL, you can be 80 and they just renew the DL.

Tampa Bay also leads the nation in teen crashes, they let them start driving at 15.

The culture shock is that there is no culture....a recent article came out regarding education levels and the states where people are happier....FL ranked very low as did the rest of the south....what a shocker!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 01:11 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,376,422 times
[quote=seain dublin;7940308]You said it Judi, driving in Fl is scary and it isn't people from NY.

They don't even take a road test in FL to get a license and many here(about 40%) drive with no car insurance.

You can renew your DL over the phone in FL, you can be 80 and they just renew the DL.

Tampa Bay also leads the nation in teen crashes, they let them start driving at 15.

[quote]

Seain Dublin, perhap you should read the Florida Drivers License Regulations:

Florida DHSMV - Obtaining Your Florida Driver License - General Information

>Id like to know where the figure 40% uninsured came from?

>You have to be 16 to get a drivers license(15 for learners permit) - was the same for me in NY State.

>You have to take a drivers test, along with written, hearing, vision.

>You can only renew online or by mail(not phone) if you had your license as of 2002. Before 2002 you must go to the Office.

>Those 80 years or older can only renew iwth a vision test

Non-Commercial Driver Licenses
Class E: Any non-commercial motor vehicles with Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) less than 26,001 pounds, including passenger cars, 15 passenger vans including the driver, trucks or recreational vehicles and two or three wheel motor vehicles 50 cc or less, such as mopeds or small scooters. (see below). Farmers and drivers of authorized emergency vehicles who are exempt from obtaining a commercial driver license must obtain a Class E license.

Class E Exam Requirements - Minimum Age 16
Road Rules
Road Signs
Driving
Vision
Hearing

Note: A new resident exchanging a valid out-of-state license for a Florida license will be required to pass the vision and hearing tests only. If you are under 18 and are not married, your license application must be signed by one parent or legal guardian. Step-parents may not sign for you unless they have legally adopted you.

Note: Beginning October 1, 2000, teens applying for their full operator's (Class E) license will be required to:
hold learner's license for 12 months
not incur any traffic convictions
be certified by parent or guardian to have at least 50 hours of behind-the-wheel training, at least 10 of which must be at night.

Teens with learner's license issued before October 1 are exempt from the above requirements. Teens issued a traffic citation can elect to attend a traffic driving school to avoid a conviction.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:32 PM

154 posts, read 533,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You said it Judi, driving in Fl is scary and it isn't people from NY.

The culture shock is that there is no culture....a recent article came out regarding education levels and the states where people are happier....FL ranked very low as did the rest of the south....what a shocker!!!!!

Only quoting Tampaguy03 here:
In Depth: America's Most And Least Popular Cities - Forbes.com
5th popular city, not everyone ranks Tampa very low....
Thanks Tampaguy!

Old 03-18-2009, 08:42 PM

158 posts, read 503,873 times
The Tampa Bay area is low culture? Yeah, okayyyyy...

I guess that's why we're the home to the largest performing arts center south of the Kennedy Center(and one of the largest per capita in the entire country, not to mention the Mahaffey Theater, Ruth Eckerd Hall, the Van Wetzel, etc...), THE Salvador Dali Museum(not in Spain but in St. Pete!), and soon to be THE first Dale Chihuly Museum of Glass Art.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:44 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Florida is one of the top 5 states in the nation with uninsured drivers.

And Tampa Bay leads the nation in deadly teen crashes.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:03 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,376,422 times
Quote:
Florida is one of the top 5 states in the nation with uninsured drivers.
Yep...23% in state of Florida are uninsured drivers, and whats even scarier is that they are predicting that by 2010, every 1 in 6 drivers in the ENTIRE COUNTRY will not have car insurance due to the economy.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:13 PM

1 posts, read 3,243 times
Default looking to relocate to fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obamanation View Post
I cannot relate to a lot of you because I do not have a family or kids, etc. I can however say that my city is not crime-ridden. There are bad areas, but most of the area is very safe, especially the suburbs. Anyone is free to private message me on this stuff... I'm pretty young but have solid knowledge in demographics, crime, etc about the MSA.

i am looking to relocate to fl around feb of next year. i also do not have kids or family in fl. i will be moving down by myself and probably renting an apartment while i test the waters in a new state. i currently live in overland park, ks. i have lived in ks for 28 years. i have been to fl three times and have loved it more and more each time i went. where do you think would be a great spot for a single 28 year old guy that loves to be outdoors? i would like to live/work in tampa so i would have access to the st pete area. i dont want to deal with ghetto areas, high crime or a 1/7 hurricane ratio. please let me know what you think when you have a second. thank you in advance for your help. take it easy.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,880 times
Quote:
Be very careful and do your research.

The schools here compared to NY are not good. FL ranks in the bottom of the 50 states in education.

Salaries are much lower, so while it is somewhat cheaper then NY the lower salaries find many here struggling.

I have known people who have taken a 50% pay cut, yet their cost of living didn't decrease that much.

And coming from NY there is culture shock, the FL white trash, and there is a lot of that.

People who drive around with no car insurance is rampant here.

The family of that missing Haleigh Cummings, people like that are very common in Florida.
This is my first post.
I have to say that my husband and I have to buy car insurance because if we don't the state will take our tag.
Also, I don't think you are right when you say there's alot of "white trash" in Tampa.
What do you mean by this statement?

Old 10-16-2009, 10:49 PM

515 posts, read 1,179,850 times
MagicaRose - people see what they want to see.
Posts like that are much more a reflection of the poster than they are of reality.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:43 AM

455 posts, read 978,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcar View Post
I'm glad that someone has something has nice things to say about the Tampa area. I will be taking a position at USF and have been looking in the Wesley Chapel, Brandon and a few other areas. All of your information has been very helpful. I have a thirteen year-old and have a concern about schools. I also want to feel safe whereever we live. I'm also looking at Lutz, Land O Lakes, and Valrico. Any information about these areas would be appreciated. I'm a little scared because my son and I are alone with no man in the house.
I left the Tampa area exactly 10 years ago to move to "the Wealthiest County in the State" I made the move as a newly divorced Mom to be closer to family support.

I pulled my Gifted daughter out of Hillsborough schools, where she was working 3 years ahead of grade level, to put her into the lousy schools down here that felt that Gifted kids should not be allowed or pushed to work beyond their age level. Had I known what I was doing to her, I would never have left.

There are some bad areas...even as there are in this wealthy "Paradise" but the 'burbs are great. Lots of young families and good schools. I lived alone, in a somewhat isolated, rural area but I was never afraid because I had two very protective female German Shepherds. If you decide to buy, you might consider a big dog. They REALLY DO make you feel safe.

I also worked at USF. I would recommend looking for something on the north side of town. You can find many nice, safe areas on the north side and avoid that godawful commute through town...make life a little easier on yourself.

Last edited by MrsTommy; 10-17-2009 at 04:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay