Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 09:35 AM

73 posts, read 187,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
There is nothing wrong with Plant City if you are aware of what amenities are available in the area. Many people move to a new city, away from all the amenities they are accustom to being close by and then wonder why they are unhappy. Some ppl want to be able to go malls, restaurants and entertainment only 10-15 minutes away. I lived in Odessa before the expressway and the closest mall was Tampa Bay Mall and the closet grocery store was on Dale Mabry at Busch. I would never recommend that area to anyone back then if they weren't looking to live in the country.

Tell the OP what makes Plant City a great place to live..
When we moved here from Ca. we thought we had gone back in time. Plant City has some issues but Florida as a whole has issues. What I like best about this charming small town; Walden Lake and some surrounding neighborhoods, I can stroll my children to their Dr. or school, I can be on the hwy in 3 minutes but far enough away to never know there is one so close, shopping is abundant and again seconds away, upscale shopping, great eateries, (Kazbor's the best family place),and the sceanery is pretty. You can be in Tampa in 20-30 minutes or Orlando in 30-45 minutes. As a new school mom, I am impressed with the active roles of many parents. In fact, I have had six relatives wanting to move or retire here after visiting, one already did upon second visit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 09:57 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,890,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
There is nothing wrong with Plant City if you are aware of what amenities are available in the area. Many people move to a new city, away from all the amenities they are accustom to being close by and then wonder why they are unhappy. Some ppl want to be able to go malls, restaurants and entertainment only 10-15 minutes away. I lived in Odessa before the expressway and the closest mall was Tampa Bay Mall and the closet grocery store was on Dale Mabry at Busch. I would never recommend that area to anyone back then if they weren't looking to live in the country.
I lived outside of Plant City for about a decade as a kid. The town sucks for younger people. There is virtually nothing to do unless you like shopping at Walmart and planting strawberries.

When I left the Bay Area, I vowed I would never visit Eastern Hillsborough again unless it involved a trip up I-4 and I have kept true to that. Haven't been back since 2003.

For someone moving to the Tampa Bay Area for the first time, I would most certainly NOT recommend Plant City.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:27 AM

93 posts, read 258,393 times
Regaring South Tampa, I have pretty much given up on buying there, essentially because I'm estimating that taxes and insurance are $12000 per year.

$12000 !!!!

That's like an entire second mortgage.

With that added on, we can't really afford too much of a house in Palma Ceia. We're seriously considering renting a townhome long term. If you calcultae in about $1000 per month in tax/insurance the home ownership-to-annual rent cost ratio is above 20:1. (i.e., buying a home in So. Tampa seems like a horrible financial desicion).

Old 02-21-2009, 07:40 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,378,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdvalle View Post
Regaring South Tampa, I have pretty much given up on buying there, essentially because I'm estimating that taxes and insurance are $12000 per year.

$12000 !!!!

That's like an entire second mortgage.

With that added on, we can't really afford too much of a house in Palma Ceia. We're seriously considering renting a townhome long term. If you calcultae in about $1000 per month in tax/insurance the home ownership-to-annual rent cost ratio is above 20:1. (i.e., buying a home in So. Tampa seems like a horrible financial desicion).
WOW...what kind of house are you buying? I cant imagine that the approx 100k people that reside in the South Tampa area are all paying $12k for tax/insurance...

Old 02-22-2009, 03:15 PM

93 posts, read 258,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
WOW...what kind of house are you buying? I cant imagine that the approx 100k people that reside in the South Tampa area are all paying $12k for tax/insurance...
Taxes on a 350K home in Palma Ceia are approx $6000+ dollars by my calculation. Insurance in the evac zone that is So. Tampa (if your lucky enough to even get it) is probably going to run $5000+.

Please tell me I'm way off. Unfortunately, I don't believe I am.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:59 PM

353 posts, read 802,418 times
I believe that the best thing to do is buy a fixer-upper (lord knows there's MANY of them in South Tampa) for very cheap, so at least you can keep your taxes low.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:36 PM

127 posts, read 427,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdvalle View Post
Taxes on a 350K home in Palma Ceia are approx $6000+ dollars by my calculation. Insurance in the evac zone that is So. Tampa (if your lucky enough to even get it) is probably going to run $5000+.

Please tell me I'm way off. Unfortunately, I don't believe I am.
We paid $435K for our home in Virginia Park (same millage as Palma Ceia) a little over 3 years ago. Our taxes are around $5,800/year and our homeowners insurance is $1,900 a year.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:18 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,654,792 times
A friend of mine did give up looking in Seminole Heights area because of the same issues. She ended up buying a house in New Tampa near her job. She loved Seminole Heights area because the houses are so unique and have a lot of personality. She had looked for over a year and gave up. Too much money for these old rundown homes.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:51 AM
Nav

346 posts, read 1,491,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltzman143 View Post
I believe that the best thing to do is buy a fixer-upper (lord knows there's MANY of them in South Tampa) for very cheap, so at least you can keep your taxes low.
Unfortunately your taxes will not stay low even with a fixer upper. Remember, taxes are locked to a max 3% (currently) annual increase if your home is homesteaded. The minute the house is transfered, sold, or renovated, the county will come in an reassess the value of the house. Our house taxable value is 359k and this years property tax is $8500. Hillsborough County has one of the highest property tax rates in the nation and they seriously gouge the homeowners who reside here. Someone with a 750k value house pays roughly $21,000 / year in property taxes.
The only way you can keep taxes affordable is to purchase a really old home and then renovate the interior only. Since taxes have an age figure factored into them you may be able to get by with only a small increase. The minute you start doing major exterior renovations or add additions, you open the door for the county to come an reassess. Its stinks, but this is the cost to live in the Bay area.

Nav

Old 02-26-2009, 08:11 AM

353 posts, read 802,418 times
I am confused. rtjr (above) paid 435k for his house and he pays 6k in taxes. Yours is valued for less and you pay MORE in taxes???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay