Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 01:16 AM

43 posts, read 247,543 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering a move to the Tampa area from Ohio and I am a bit concerned about the snake and alligator population. I have 3 dogs and a small child and I dont want to have to always be afraid they will be bitten or worse by a snake in the yard. Is it common for dogs and or unsuspecting children to be bitten or killed by snakes around there (water moccasins, rattlesnakes). Also how safe is it really to be near or in bodies of water that may have alligators in them. Being up here you always hear when somebody is attacked by a gator. Sorry if this sounds silly, but living up here, we do not have to deal with things like that and I want to be sure it is not a huge problem. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2007, 08:11 AM

523 posts, read 2,829,465 times
Alligators are part of Florida they were here before us. They usually dont come out of water if people are around. We have one in our pond 6 ft long,
He swims around, must eat fish, because he dont bother 35 swimming birds or turkeys I call them in the pond. They swim with him. We did have 2 attacks in South Lakeland this past year. One man was working on his car that had broke down, the other was swimming nude in pond at 3 in morning.
The wildlife wont come and get mine. I have called. But just don live on pond
if it worries you.

Old 03-13-2007, 07:54 PM

8 posts, read 79,246 times
i am born and raised in fla we respect the gators and the only snake i have ever seen is a black snake in my yard we leave them alone and they eat the unwanted bugs and other small stuff we all get along good luck i love living here

Old 03-15-2007, 01:13 PM

2 posts, read 49,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funfettigirl View Post
i am born and raised in fla we respect the gators and the only snake i have ever seen is a black snake in my yard we leave them alone and they eat the unwanted bugs and other small stuff we all get along good luck i love living here
This is what I was going to say. I have never had problems with snakes only grass snakes and other very small unharmful ones.

Old 03-15-2007, 05:30 PM

442 posts, read 2,912,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridasunshine View Post
Alligators are part of Florida they were here before us. They usually dont come out of water if people are around. We have one in our pond 6 ft long,
He swims around, must eat fish, because he dont bother 35 swimming birds or turkeys I call them in the pond. They swim with him. We did have 2 attacks in South Lakeland this past year. One man was working on his car that had broke down, the other was swimming nude in pond at 3 in morning.
The wildlife wont come and get mine. I have called. But just don live on pond
if it worries you.
I remember the guy swiming nude, and then confessed he had smoked some Crack before that...LOL only a crack head....
Well lets see...We have a small Gator in our Canel behind our house, that leads right into the Lake Kissimmee...actually i think there are more but i have only seen one...And as long as they are not fed by humans they pretty much stay away...i think?..lol
snakes different story we have had 3 Pygmy Rattlers (baby ones) in our garage...but they pretty much leave when they feel our movement...Black snakes are good to have around...
we also have a 5 ft fence to keep the gators out or at least for them to have something to restle with before they come in our yard...
when i first moved here i was more affraid of the rather LARGE wild boar...omg they can do some damage..
You just have to remember one thing be aware of your surroundings...i certainly would not let my child in a back yard with out supervision...

Old 03-16-2007, 08:49 AM

612 posts, read 2,777,796 times
I lived in Florida for 12 years and only saw one snake ever (in Miami). I grew up in Northern NY and saw them all the time in the summer there though. I was pleasantly surprised in Florida.

I always lived near water in Florida too.

Old 03-20-2007, 04:48 PM

2 posts, read 50,312 times
Default Been here 15 years

I've been in FL for 15 years and I've always lived around water. People told me there was a gator in one pond we lived in front of, but I never saw it. I have only seen one or two snakes over the years- one was dead on the street, and one was in the woods. That is it. I've never seen a gator unless pulling over on Alligator Ally looking for them. I would not be worried. My grandmother had a gator behind her house in Clermont and they just put a fence so us kids could go play. I have a small dog and have never been worried. He is never on a leash and we play frisbee by water. Still- nothing. Don't be worried! It's our teacher's that sleep with young kids that I'd be worried about!

Old 03-20-2007, 11:21 PM

30 posts, read 212,445 times
I don't think you have that much to worry about. Alligators are in a lot, if not most, small bodies of water around here, it is just a fact of life. There is a small pond behind the building where I work and we started to notice small alligators in it. We kept relocating them when they got too big, but new ones always moved in. In my experience, if they are on the bank they will go back in the water if they see you coming. Obviously you shouldn't let your kids or dogs play in or near water that you know has gators in it, but that's just common sense (even the ducks knew not to go in when the gators were there). If you are concerned, just don't live on a pond or lake. It's only really a problem if your yard is right up on the water.
As for the snakes, they are pretty common, but most of them are harmless black racers, garter snakes, or rat snakes. My back yard is right next to a large park (woods, nature trails, etc.) and we do have a snake in the yard now and then. In fact, my dog has killed a couple of them, much to my displeasure trying to get it away from her! You should know what poisonous snakes are in your area and what they look like so you know which to avoid, but most are harmless, fairly small, and just try to get away when they see you (or your dog). Not really anything to worry about in that it shouldn't keep you from moving here. You will have more problems with hurricanes and property taxes than snakes and alligators!

Old 03-21-2007, 02:43 AM

43 posts, read 247,543 times
Thanks for all the replies. It looks like we are going to try to be down there by december, assuming I can find a decent job.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:16 PM

4 posts, read 62,137 times
Snakes will be much more of an issue than gators. Unless your property borders a pond or lake, you might never see an alligator. If you live on the water, you are right to be concerned about small children and pets. So buy accordingly. Roaches, mice, rats, wasps, fleas, all of those are more worrisome (and more frequently encountered in great numbers) than snakes and gators. Arizona, anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay