Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 05:27 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_gooner View Post
Tampaguy (or anyone else who lives in Tampa who's willing to help), my wife and I (and 2 yr old) are considering moving to Tampa from NoVA. We'd love some recommendations on neighborhoods to look into.

Criteria:
walkable (obviously includes safe, at least during daylight)
non-strip mall
weekend markets
quiet (not near universities or crazy nightlife)
neighborhood feel
sense of community
library
bike paths

Thanks!

Let me know if you need any other info...
What is your budget? What area is your job and what is an acceptable commute time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 09:17 AM

30 posts, read 85,368 times
I lived in Old Town Alexandria but worked in downtown D.C. by the White House. I loved the fact that even Old Town was walkable with quaint stores and restaurants.

We are now in the New Tampa area, off of Bruce B. Downs. We just bought a house that would have cost 1/3 of what a typical family home in D.C/NOVA would have cost. Plus it's about twice the size. So housing is a lot easier to come by in Tampa.

My neighborhood is not walkable (unless you are just walking the neighborhood and not to stores), but it's close to what I need. It's a drive to get to some of the fun places in Tampa, like musuems and downtown, but I don't mind the drive. D.C. driving was much worse. We have a nice community feel here, and have the bike paths at Flatbush Park, but as far as weekend markets, I don't think there is much of that where I am at. Maybe....but I haven't come across it yet. Definitely not anything like Eastern Market in D.C. I'm sure closer to downtown or South Tampa might have something like that. I'm still new here and learning my way around.

My husband works down at Davis Island and walks to restaurants and enjoys his area. It's a nice area.

Good luck with your move or whatever you decide.

Old 11-19-2009, 05:15 PM

10 posts, read 28,844 times
Thanks for the input.

We've visited a few times now. Haven't really examined the area very much. I've got family in New Tampa, so that's why we're considering a move. Strip mall and cookie cutter is not my bag, but this wouldn't be a permanent move so I think we can handle it. We'd probably look at a 2BR apt somewhere in the neighborhood of $1100/month. Not sure what/where we can get for that.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:41 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,378,211 times
Quote:
Thanks for the input.

We've visited a few times now. Haven't really examined the area very much. I've got family in New Tampa, so that's why we're considering a move. Strip mall and cookie cutter is not my bag, but this wouldn't be a permanent move so I think we can handle it. We'd probably look at a 2BR apt somewhere in the neighborhood of $1100/month. Not sure what/where we can get for that.
If cookie cutter and strip malls is not your bag, than you DO NOT want to be in New Tampa.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:48 AM

10 posts, read 28,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
If cookie cutter and strip malls is not your bag, than you DO NOT want to be in New Tampa.
I definitely know we won't be moving to New Tampa! We're looking for neighborhoods in the Tampa area since that'll put us close to family.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:05 AM

30 posts, read 85,368 times
Quote:
I definitely know we won't be moving to New Tampa! We're looking for neighborhoods in the Tampa area since that'll put us close to family.
Yes, my area is full of cookie cutter homes and tons of strip malls. I'm not fond of it, but this a temporary home and not even the state where we will live for our future years. It works for now since we are in our mid-30's with very young children.

Not sure about rentals and prices. We rented an apartment in Tampa Palms (New Tampa) for close to $1700, but it was a 3 bedroom with a separate den and family room, at 1800 sq. ft., so it was a bit bigger than typical apartments. The funny thing is our mortgage is A LOT less than that for a 3500 sq. ft. house in a great neighborhood. The downside is there are about 20 houses on my street and only 4-5 floorplans!

Old 11-21-2009, 11:15 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Interesting thread here. I live in New Tampa now. Hate it. I love urbanity and not having a car. I recently took a trip to Wash D.C. last month, love it. Going to be moving there. I really don't think you can compare D.C. to Tampa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay