Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 04:12 PM

17 posts, read 39,717 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a realistic comparison from people who lived in DC and now live in Tampa (or even vice versa). I lived in DC (not the suburbs) for 25 years and need a change and have decided on Tampa. I'm not anywhere near retirement, so work (instructional design) and commuting will be a factor. Any information or advice (including neighborhoods) you can provide will be much appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 05:07 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,829,488 times
I moved to Tampa one year ago from Nova/D.C. I too wanted a change of pace. I tried to like Tampa, but it is hard. It depends who you are and what you are interested in. Tampa is an urban sprawl without much character. If you like strip malls, billboards, strip clubs and tattoos you will love it. The people overall are blue collar or redneck. The level of education is quite low. There isn't any culture here like in D.C. On the other hand I found that St. Petersburg is very different than Tampa even though it is only 30 minutes away. The streets are cleaner and their are many art museums etc. You also have the beaches and Sarasota is about an hour from there. Sarasota seems neat and cultured. The traffic in Tampa is as bad as D.C. and all hours of the day and night. It is not a walkable town either. People are not has health concious here either. The only thing I have heard good about Tampa is S.Tampa which I have not visited. On the other hand, it is very cheap to live in Tampa, Florida compared to Nova/D.C, but you do not have nice streets and trees or parks around hardly at all. The pay here is low and the unemployment rate is awful. The healthcare field is big here. Good luck.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:50 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,376,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
I moved to Tampa one year ago from Nova/D.C. I too wanted a change of pace. I tried to like Tampa, but it is hard. It depends who you are and what you are interested in. Tampa is an urban sprawl without much character. If you like strip malls, billboards, strip clubs and tattoos you will love it. The people overall are blue collar or redneck. The level of education is quite low. There isn't any culture here like in D.C. On the other hand I found that St. Petersburg is very different than Tampa even though it is only 30 minutes away. The streets are cleaner and their are many art museums etc. You also have the beaches and Sarasota is about an hour from there. Sarasota seems neat and cultured. The traffic in Tampa is as bad as D.C. and all hours of the day and night. It is not a walkable town either. People are not has health concious here either. The only thing I have heard good about Tampa is S.Tampa which I have not visited. On the other hand, it is very cheap to live in Tampa, Florida compared to Nova/D.C, but you do not have nice streets and trees or parks around hardly at all. The pay here is low and the unemployment rate is awful. The healthcare field is big here. Good luck.
Artsywoman --Please advise what part of Tampa you live? I suggest you take a peak at the South Tampa area that you say you never been to...(Which comprises of about 1/2 of the city of Tampa), and then note your opinion....it is the complete opposite of what you speak of above. South Tampa is comprised of numerous neighborhoods, each individual of the other, mostly all mom and pop type restaurants and retail, walkable neighborhoods, all of it is surrounded by water, easy access to most everything(theaters and performing arts, museums, attractions in downtown tampa, the Forum, Stadium for Hockey and Football, concerts, festivals, etc...

Old 02-06-2009, 08:57 AM

1 posts, read 4,178 times
I don't know where Artsywoman lives; perhaps she went from living in Dupont Circle to living in Brandon, or something like that. If that is the case, and she is more of a city person, I could see why she would hate Tampa (after all, Brandon lacks the filth, the rats, the homeless people, the pollution, etc!). But she did say that she was in NOVA. Um, Northern Virginia looks and acts just like every other suburb in America: strip malls, billboards, tattoo shops, etc. In fact, there's even strip clubs in S. Arlington and Alexandria. (NOVA also has the worst traffic of the Washington area, by the way.)

Tampa and DC are like apples and oranges, so I won't even go into how they compare. What I can tell you is that you could not pay me enough money to ever go back to DC, and you will meet a lot of ex-DC people in Tampa who will tell you the same thing.

I live in South Tampa and my commute is a breeze. In fact, I don't understand how a DC person could say that Tampa traffic is as bad as DC. DC has the 2nd worst traffic in America, behind Los Angeles. I don't even think Tampa makes the top 10. Now, yes, there is traffic in Tampa. But it's concentrated to a smaller area, and does not last all day, like in DC. In Tampa, the rush hour is from 4ish to about 6:30-7. In DC the rush hour is from 2 to 8ish. In DC I had a 2 hour commute twice a day. In Tampa my commute is 15 minutes twice a day. I guess it all depends on where you live and work. In DC the only people who can afford to have a 15-minute commute (FROM BURBS TO CITY) are renters who live in the city and pay 1800 bucks a month for a 500-sq foot studio, or millionaire politicos/well-heeled who have houses close-in. In Tampa you don't have to live in a shoebox or be a millionaire to have a 15-minute commute. I do not recommend living anywhere where you have to depend on driving on I-275 or I-4. The Suncoast is a little better. But in general South Tampa is the way to go, because you have great amenities and you never have to deal with freeway traffic. (This all assumes you'd be working in Tampa.)

People in South Tampa and in Florida in general are very health conscious (I always make my decision on where to live based on where the Whole Foods is, and the only Whole Foods in the Bay Area is in South Tampa), and everyone is always out biking, blading, walking, etc. I guess Artsywoman wants to move back to DC and go back to hibernating for 5 months of the year? South Tampa is very walkable, as is Downtown St. Pete.

Re: the people. Whether they are "rednecks" (Artsywoman's word, not mine) or yuppie transplants from the Northeast like myself, or Europeans, the people are laid back and generally friendly (You could never say the same about the uptight, stressed-out, rude Type A people in DC). And the pace in Tampa is much slower, which is wonderful. In DC you will find a line of 20 people at the Starbucks, and people behind you are tapping their feet, wondering what the hell is taking so long. In Tampa, that is unlikely to happen. (I wonder how much of a toll those kinds of stressors take on the body on a daily basis......)

If you are interested in big-city living (and all of the pros/cons that entails), you may wanna stay in DC.

If you are interested in slowing down, getting away from the cold (and all of its negatives), spending less money, lowering your blood pressure, and breathing cleaner air, I highly recommend South Tampa.

I did DC for 12 years. I went all over the Northeast and tolerated the stress. Now, if I wanna go to the Northeast, I get on a plane. I put up with the pollution and frenetic pace for a few days. And then I get the hell out.

I do agree that wages in the Bay Area are low and unemployment is high. That is a bummer. But sometimes money is not everything.

Ideally, I think the thing to do would be to winter in Tampa, and summer in Maine.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:01 PM

139 posts, read 476,340 times
I lived ten years in NY subs

3 years DC subs

and moved to Tampa last year.

To me, Tampa is just as expensive as NY. Car and health insurance are high. Home priced are about the same, but property tax make up for the state tax in Va, and NY. Fuel prices are the same as NY and VA

Florida used to be cheap, but not anymore

Old 02-07-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
Artsywoman --Please advise what part of Tampa you live? I suggest you take a peak at the South Tampa area that you say you never been to...(Which comprises of about 1/2 of the city of Tampa), and then note your opinion....it is the complete opposite of what you speak of above. South Tampa is comprised of numerous neighborhoods, each individual of the other, mostly all mom and pop type restaurants and retail, walkable neighborhoods, all of it is surrounded by water, easy access to most everything(theaters and performing arts, museums, attractions in downtown tampa, the Forum, Stadium for Hockey and Football, concerts, festivals, etc...
Please tell me where to go! I live in North Tampa off of Busch and Armenia. It is near Florida Avenue area and kind of blah. I admit I have not been to South Tampa, but it seems like that is another world from where I am. I hate that I can't walk to Starbucks. There is nothing out here but Auto Parts places and dollar stores. Help! I do enjoy Ybor city and downtown. I am more of a city type. I am not a big partier, but I like unique store and just hanging out at book stores and Starbucks.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:37 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
Please tell me where to go! I live in North Tampa off of Busch and Armenia. It is near Florida Avenue area and kind of blah. I admit I have not been to South Tampa, but it seems like that is another world from where I am. I hate that I can't walk to Starbucks. There is nothing out here but Auto Parts places and dollar stores. Help! I do enjoy Ybor city and downtown. I am more of a city type. I am not a big partier, but I like unique store and just hanging out at book stores and Starbucks.
Artsywoman, you are unfortunately living in one of the least desirable areas of Tampa, IMO, and knowing where you live now I see why you are unhappy. There are many much nicer neighborhoods to live, where there are trees, sidewalks, cafes and all the things you would like. The best can be found in South Tampa. Tampaguy is the poster here who is an expert on south Tampa, maybe he can give you some suggestions. You really can't make a blanket statement about the whole city based on your neighborhood. You would definitely be happier living close to the city - I bet it would change your whole perspective on Tampa.

Good luck to you!

Old 02-08-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Artsywoman, you are unfortunately living in one of the least desirable areas of Tampa, IMO, and knowing where you live now I see why you are unhappy. There are many much nicer neighborhoods to live, where there are trees, sidewalks, cafes and all the things you would like. The best can be found in South Tampa. Tampaguy is the poster here who is an expert on south Tampa, maybe he can give you some suggestions. You really can't make a blanket statement about the whole city based on your neighborhood. You would definitely be happier living close to the city - I bet it would change your whole perspective on Tampa.

Good luck to you!
Wow! Thanks. Maybe you are right. I had no idea this was a bad area, but have talked to people here and there and they make comments about it. I guess that is why my rent is so cheap. I really want to visit S.Tampa and then maybe you are right, my view will change. Thanks for your input.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:38 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Artsywoman.. there are lots of places to live in S. Tampa that are reasonable and would be exactly what you are looking for in a place. The problem is many of these places do not advertise on the internet. If you give us your general price range, maybe we can help you find a place where you would be happier.

You can walk to many places in S. Tampa plus bus service is there which will take you to Westshore and other areas. I know my SIL lived in a little apt complex right near SoHo when she was on Sec 8. Not real fancy but the area was great.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Artsywoman.. there are lots of places to live in S. Tampa that are reasonable and would be exactly what you are looking for in a place. The problem is many of these places do not advertise on the internet. If you give us your general price range, maybe we can help you find a place where you would be happier.

You can walk to many places in S. Tampa plus bus service is there which will take you to Westshore and other areas. I know my SIL lived in a little apt complex right near SoHo when she was on Sec 8. Not real fancy but the area was great.
Thanks. I am actually living on disability for the past two years. I pay $525 for studio where I am now and thats what I can afford. I am hoping in the future to actually get back to work and then maybe I can afford a bit more. One step at a time. I don't drive, but I am very familiar with the buses here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay