Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2009, 12:51 PM

130 posts, read 265,377 times

Advertisements

I plan on moving into the Land O lakes area this summer, but I have a few concerns with child abductions in the state of Florida. I know this happens all over however, it seems as if Florida has a major child abduction ever few months....... I currently live in Michigan and this state has had 3 in the last 10 years and I compare it to Florida and Florida seems unsafe if you have children. There was another one on 2/11/2009 in Putnam County. Is Florida full of child killers??????????????? I really hope not but it seems like it..... Any opinions please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 01:45 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
In the Cailey Anthony case it is IMO the mom who killed her own child....in the other sad case, which is a strange case, we don't know what happened and it is very sad. I have heard that not all the doors were locked, but I'm not sure if this is true. In the Jessica case, as far as i know the doors weren't locked either and in both the Putnam County case and the Jessica case...the people don't live in a community but out in the open...I'm not saying that you shouldn't live out in the open but the chances are bigger to get away unseen as in a community.

I'm very surprised how many people still don't lock doors of their homes and cars....I'm raised in Europe and we have learned never to do that since it takes a split second to get your valuebles taken....I'm not even talking about kids being taken.

I'm shocked about the many sex offenders in Florida and there has been an article that before some one is labeled a sex offender, the average sex offender already has made 7 victims or 7 times offend some one....so how many will be out there who haven't been caught...?

The climate in Fl and CA makes it a nice place for sex offenders and many of them are home less to stay in the streets due to the nice weather....IMO they should put all sex offenders on an Island far far away from any child! (I'm not talking about people labeled sex offenders who had sex as an 18 year old with a 16 year old and there was consent just because the parents didn't like it the person has to live as a sex offender, JMO)

Old 02-12-2009, 01:48 PM

130 posts, read 265,377 times
Thanks for the reply....... I'm amazed at the number of these people living on the streets and not in prison..... We need to write the Florida Senators and demand stronger laws putting these sickos in prison for the rest of their natural life.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:08 PM

257 posts, read 824,234 times
I think if you live in a decent neighborhood the likelihood goes way down. The Caley story was most likely the mother and the very least due to serious neglect. I'd definitely raise a kid in Orlando or Tampa. I hope to move back to fl when I have kids.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:36 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
I have had no scares at all raising my kids here but we never had them outside by them self...we never did that in Europe either....times have changed.

you can sign up to get info when a sex offender moves within a certain miles from your home, school or whatever address you sign up for....great website, they also sent out alerts.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:41 AM

1 posts, read 4,708 times
I am a mother of 3 currently live in Pa but have lived in Davenport Fl for a 1 1/2 years. I would not recommend moving to Fl with small children. The year that we lived there my son had started K in the Polk county public school district. He just so happened to be one of three English speaking kids, everyone else spoke Spanish including the teacher. Which is great for him to learn Spanish and he picked up quickly but then I realized that he was being left behind. The teacher would spend so much time with the Spanish speaking children my son was bored and now getting into trouble during school. The notes that were sent home from the teacher amazed me. They would say something like " If Jacob keeps up this bad behavior he will be asked to leave the classroom." I am all for discipline but she wasn't telling me what my child has done wrong to correct him. Poor Communication! The teachers note were spelled wrong a handful of times. Scary! Now my son is in a Pa school in 2nd grade and doing great. PA state has the program NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND and I am not sure FL does. I am not trying to tell you every school in FL will be like this but my experience sure turned me off to FL. A few times the school would send home fliers of dangerous people saying if you see these people at your bus stop call the police. I feel that the happiest place on the earth attracts the sickos also.
One day from walking a mile from the bus stop an old man in a little white car was following me. He was driving slowly right behind me. Creepy.We even lived in a very nice gated community where they do criminal back-round checks before moving in.
I have even been followed home from the gas station by a creep.
I am not trying to scare you away from FL OK maybe I am. I would NOT move to FL with my children again. I LOVE THEM TOO MUCH!

Old 04-07-2009, 08:04 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelrat3 View Post
I am a mother of 3 currently live in Pa but have lived in Davenport Fl for a 1 1/2 years. I would not recommend moving to Fl with small children. The year that we lived there my son had started K in the Polk county public school district. He just so happened to be one of three English speaking kids, everyone else spoke Spanish including the teacher. Which is great for him to learn Spanish and he picked up quickly but then I realized that he was being left behind. The teacher would spend so much time with the Spanish speaking children my son was bored and now getting into trouble during school. The notes that were sent home from the teacher amazed me. They would say something like " If Jacob keeps up this bad behavior he will be asked to leave the classroom." I am all for discipline but she wasn't telling me what my child has done wrong to correct him. Poor Communication! The teachers note were spelled wrong a handful of times. Scary! Now my son is in a Pa school in 2nd grade and doing great. PA state has the program NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND and I am not sure FL does. I am not trying to tell you every school in FL will be like this but my experience sure turned me off to FL. A few times the school would send home fliers of dangerous people saying if you see these people at your bus stop call the police. I feel that the happiest place on the earth attracts the sickos also.
One day from walking a mile from the bus stop an old man in a little white car was following me. He was driving slowly right behind me. Creepy.We even lived in a very nice gated community where they do criminal back-round checks before moving in.
I have even been followed home from the gas station by a creep.
I am not trying to scare you away from FL OK maybe I am. I would NOT move to FL with my children again. I LOVE THEM TOO MUCH!
Davenport is NOT a nice town - there are many nice towns in Florida, and nice communities within the towns. People just need to research, there is good and bad everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay