Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 11:26 AM

7 posts, read 22,178 times

Advertisements

im a young proffesional (23) moving to tampa in march. I have narrowed my choices down to south tampa and new tampa. My max rent would be $800.00. Any suggestions on apartments in the south tampa or new tampa area. Being new to the city i would like to live around people my age. any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 01:48 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,377,342 times
where will you be working? is the only thing your interested in is being around people your age? Check out craigslist or tbo.com for private condo/townhome rentals...800 can be hard to come by in south tampa, but there are private and smaller one bedrooms around...you also may want to drive up and down the roads in areas like hyde park, davis islands, palma ceia, SOHO, westshore, check out communities like the cove, ballast point apartments, camden and post for any specials, there are alot of little 'melrose'type places throughout south tampa, many dont advertise.....south tampa to me has much more going on for someone your age than new tampa.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:55 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,422,470 times
Those small rentals around hyde, DI, and SOHO - would you guess they'd be less likely to be sold or foreclosed causing rentors to be displaced? I'd imagine the owners who are renting out may be older, long time owners with no intentions of selling. Last thing I'd want is to sign a rental agreement then be told by the landlord that he/she is selling, and I'd have to move.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:25 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,082,883 times
South Tampa and New Tampa are like apples and oranges - how did you "narrow it down" to those?

Old 02-18-2009, 02:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,145 times
you should check out temple terrace, lots of nice communities there for young professionals including the river chase one. I lived there from the ages of 26-28 and loved everything that came with the apartment, pools etc...

Old 02-18-2009, 06:40 PM

Eastern Roamer- im not familiar with the area, but being younger i heard all the place to live is south tampa. But i also heard New Tampa is around the USF area, so im assuming there would be younger people around that area? just a guess. But im looking for a 2bd to 2bath for around 800.00 a month. any help in any area would be great thanks.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:18 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,698,579 times
I like New Tampa, it's nicer and newer. I am sure right now you can find great rent specials.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:23 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,082,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobuck View Post
Eastern Roamer- im not familiar with the area, but being younger i heard all the place to live is south tampa. But i also heard New Tampa is around the USF area, so im assuming there would be younger people around that area? just a guess. But im looking for a 2bd to 2bath for around 800.00 a month. any help in any area would be great thanks.
You will get more apartment for your money in New Tampa, but you may find the entertainment lacking. USF is very much a commuter school. Although there are dorms, campus life, and some local hang-outs - the area immediately surrounding the school is not by any means a "college town"

New Tampa itself is the epitome of sprawl with one main road, jammed up traffic, and the same homogonized, strip mall, big-box garbage dominating the landscape. It's boring. South Tampa is urban - houses are closer to commercial areas so walking and mass-transit are feasable. There's much more of younger crowd, too. New Tampa is for soccer moms and suburbaphiles. However, you won't likely find something worth living in with 2 bedrooms and 2 baths for $800 in South Tampa. Again, the apartments are nicer and newer to the north.

The question is: do you want to live near the fun and commute to school, or live near school in a nicer apartment and commute to the fun?

Check out USF St. Pete, too. St. Pete is a whole other city but right over the bridge.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:25 PM

Eastern Roamer, thanks for the help. so south tampa sounds a little bit out of the price range. 2 bd, 2 bath , 800.00.. im willing to go anywhere im a recent college graduate from ohio going down looking for a job. Im a recreation major, and have applied places, but without a florida address yet, it seems unlikely to get a full time job. So if it means picking up a part time jobs thats what i will have to do. would you suggest checking out the st.pete area for apartments? does it fit what im looking for?

Old 09-01-2009, 08:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,436 times
ohiobuck- or other readers who may help!
You probably don't check this anymore since you are now settled in Florida i'm sure. I am in the same situation that you were. I am 22 and will be graduating in december. I am planning to move down to the tampa area. I am interested in tampa general hospital, but am also willing to apply at other hospitals that are smaller than 300 beds. I don't want to live in the heart of the city, but i also don't want to live in a retirement community. I like to go out, shop, hang out at the beach, and i would love a nice park or somewhere to run or rollerblade in. I'm from a small town in illinois of 11000, so i love the small town feel, but i reallly don't want to be isolated from people my age...but i am also over the whole college scene, so i don't want to live near campus.
ohiobuck- it sounded like what you were looking for is what i'm looking for. please let me know of what you found or other areas you saw with potential once you got down there.
Anyone else, feel free to help! thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: