Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2009, 09:37 PM

15 posts, read 80,646 times

Advertisements

Hey,

So what is recommended for Tampa and/or Tampa "suburbs"? I'd even consider all the way over to Clearwater or St. Petersburg I guess my list would be:
  • work in downtown tampa and don't want to commute for more than 30-45 minutes (I'm moving from Chicago, so this time-frame would be a welcomed change)
  • have kids so would need good elementary schools
  • has to be safe (do I really need to mention this?)
  • looking for a 3br or 2br w/ den apartment for $850-$900
Would love any feedback that includes best cities / good neighborhoods and boundaries by streets.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 07:35 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
You will NOT want St. Pete or Clearwater unless you want a hellish commute. I would try to stick to the neighborhoods in South Tampa - Tampaguy is our resident expert here on South Tampa and can tell you neighborhoods and streets.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:35 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,699,605 times
Brandon/Riverview/Valrico and New Tampa are nice areas as well. You might want to consider these.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:46 AM

102 posts, read 423,057 times
is that a reasonable price for that size in tampa? i moved away in 06 to miami, where youd only find a place like that with that price in the middle of the ghetto. id imagine a 3/2 with a den would be at least $1000 or more.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:48 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,699,605 times
Miami is different, bigger, more congested, more expensive. It's cheaper to live here in the Bay area compared to Miami.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:53 AM

15 posts, read 80,646 times
Default Commute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
You will NOT want St. Pete or Clearwater unless you want a hellish commute. I would try to stick to the neighborhoods in South Tampa - Tampaguy is our resident expert here on South Tampa and can tell you neighborhoods and streets.

What do you consider hellish? Keep in mind that I'm coming from Chicago and can easily drive an hour and not be out of the city. What are we talking here? 30, 45 minutes?

Old 02-20-2009, 09:09 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elevendollarlife View Post
What do you consider hellish? Keep in mind that I'm coming from Chicago and can easily drive an hour and not be out of the city. What are we talking here? 30, 45 minutes?
Well, you said you didn't want more than 30, to 45 minutes. I think you would be looking at an hour at least with a LOT of traffic from St. Pete. Of course it will depend where you are driving from and driving to, and what time you are traveling. If you are driving over the bridge every day you will be stuck if there is an accident. That is what I would hate, maybe it won't bother you personally. But your original post said you wanted an easier drive from the one you were making in Chicago. Keep in mind my own hubby has always made LONG commutes to downtown Tampa because we don't want to live in Tampa. We have lived north of Tampa (Dade City 37 miles northeast, one hour commute) Lakeland (37 miles east, 45 minutes commute) and now north Sarasota (58 miles, one hour commute). As I said, I think commuting from St. Pete would just be problematic having to cross the water everyday, and there are a lot of accidents on that bridge. JMO, however.

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay