Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2007, 02:52 PM

119 posts, read 301,455 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I'm new to the boards!
So glad to have found this board. I have already read lots of great info on the greater Tampa area here, but haven't seen a lot on St. Petersburg.

After a lot of research into different areas in Florida my husband and I are considering moving to St. Petersburg. The move won't happen for probably 2 years as I'm currently in the process of studying for my masters degree as a Nurse Practitioner. Hopefully by then we will also have a little bambino in tow.

So my questions are:
How are my job prospects as a NP (ARNP) in the Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater area?

If we live in St. Pete, is that commutable to jobs in Tampa or Clearwater as well? Any other locations/major medical centers easily commutable?

Where are some of the better school districts in St. Pete?

We've seen there are some great historic neighborhoods in St. Pete, but someone in another thread mentioned crime being an issue in the neighborhoods closer to the city proper in Tampa. Is that the same for neighborhoods close to the city of St. Pete? If so which neighborhoods should we steer clear of and which are safe?

I think those questions are a pretty good jumping off point, but any other good practical info provided is definitely appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2007, 04:30 PM

523 posts, read 2,830,147 times
St Pete is pretty expensive in the northeast district. I would not want to commute over the bridge everyday, accidents keep you stuck for hours. I would live near where you get job. YOu should have no trouble getting job.
good luck.

Old 03-25-2007, 01:27 PM

119 posts, read 301,455 times
Thanks for the input floridasunshine I definitely want to try to keep the commuting time down.

Can anyone tell me about these neighborhoods:
Historic Uptown
Historic Kenwood
Old Northeast
Historic Roser Park
Euclid St Pauls
Crescent Lake

Friendly/Snooty, Crime/Safe, Expensive/Cheap? Any thoughts?

Also, what are the bigger hospitals in St. Pete?

Old 03-27-2007, 01:37 PM

32 posts, read 238,884 times
Old Northeast and Crescent Lake are very nice areas. Lots of old historic homes and close to great restaurants and nightlife. The area is expensive but safe. Alot of young families too. Its also very close to the highway - a commute to Tampa is definitely do-able but expect the commute to be just under an hour as the bridges do get backed up. Clearwater is closer but there isn't really any highway to Clearwater so I would image a commute of about 45 minutes as US 19 can also get very congested. There is alot of old people in Tampa Bay and in turn alot of Hospitals that need nurses - I am sure employment wont be a problem! Don't know much about the school system but Pinellas County has a lottery system with key deadlines so make sure you look into that before you move. St. Pete is a great place to live. Goodluck!

Old 03-29-2007, 09:56 AM

1 posts, read 2,774 times
Default About St. Pete

I have been a St. Pete resident since the 50's. You need to know about another historic district in SE St. Pete known as Old Southeast. I have lived in that area since 1986. I live on 20th Ave. SE three houses back from a gorgeous waterfront park facing Tampa Bay. The park borders our neighborhood on the east. Look on line at a map. Housing values have increased substantially, reflecting the restorations of the neighborhood, the strong neighborhood assoc. and the continuing attraction to our area. It would be a great place for you to investigate, because we are within blocks of the largest two hospitals in St. Pete.----Bayfront Med. Center(major trauma center) and ALL Children's Hospital. It is also within blocks of The University of South Florida,which just keeps on growing, and very close to the interstate access. I don't think you will have any problem,either, finding a job in St. Pete or Tampa. I just favor St. Pete.
I can give you much details re: the other neighborhoods you mention in St. Pete --later, however ...I'm out of time at the moment.

My name is Tenn.transplant, because I am going to retire to the Tenn, Mtns. soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay