Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 08:24 PM

14 posts, read 54,232 times

Advertisements

I moved into a house sight unseen from Craigslist. The house is really nice, the neighbors are super kind, the area where the homes are are nice as well. However...
I live off a main St. called Nebraska, and it seems Skecthy..
I just moved from 22 miles Vancouver, BC. in WA. state. So I am not sure, if I have moved my family to some bad part of town, it is strange, how it is laid out,
I live inbetween Hanna and Sligh, on N9th St..
Is it better in St. Pete or Clearwater.
I feel worried...
thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 08:50 PM

158 posts, read 503,873 times
I think your area is okay but parts of Nebraska Ave. further north are kinda notorious for, well, ...sketchiness. I don't really recall anything in the way of violent crime but there is or has in the past, been a problem with prostitutes and drugs along parts of Nebraska Ave.. The area has been targeted by the police though so maybe it's been cleaned up some. There are definitely better areas all around this region to live to be honest but if your neighborhood is fine then just try to ignore the surroundings on Nebraska Ave or take a different route. As long as you're not involved in that stuff, you and your family shouldn't have any problems. As always though, just be smart.

Vancouver is one of the most beautiful cities(was back there as recently as this past August) in the world but it has some extremely sketchy drug and prostitution infected areas itself.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:08 PM

thanks...so much so you don't think St. PETE WOULD BE BETTER...so sorry for the caps

Old 02-18-2009, 09:28 PM

158 posts, read 503,873 times
Be sure not to get too caught up in the names of cities because they usually cover a vast area and thus a diversity of income groups and living conditions. There are multi-million dollar neighborhoods in St. Pete and there are bad neigborhoods in St. Pete, same for Tampa and Clearwater. A lot depends on what your budget is.

Honestly, I'm not real familiar with your particular neighborhood(though I think I know what it's like) so take what I say with a grain of salt. Others more familiar with your street/block range might have a better idea. But generally it comes down to what you feel comfortable with. Seminole Heights just a few blocks west is considered by most to be a good area with a lot of young professionals and families. Usually you don't have to look too far to find better areas.

It's a gamble buying sight unseen here because location is extremely important in these parts but sometimes that can't be helped and you just gotta go with it. But note that the area of Nebraska Ave that I was refering to is much further north than where you're at.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:20 AM

1,222 posts, read 3,829,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christinelaabs View Post
I moved into a house sight unseen from Craigslist. The house is really nice, the neighbors are super kind, the area where the homes are are nice as well. However...
I live off a main St. called Nebraska, and it seems Skecthy..
I just moved from 22 miles Vancouver, BC. in WA. state. So I am not sure, if I have moved my family to some bad part of town, it is strange, how it is laid out,
I live inbetween Hanna and Sligh, on N9th St..
Is it better in St. Pete or Clearwater.
I feel worried...
thanks for any advice.
Nebraska is rundown and tacky. There are a lot of transients etc. It is a ghetto area of Tampa.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:51 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,376,422 times
My rule of thunb is to stay West of Florida Avenue in the Seminole Heights area, although I have friends that live just north of Sligh and East of Nebraska near the river, and its a nice mix of profressionals, families and long time residents. You are in a neighborhood called Old Seminole Heights, Nebraska Ave was at one time very busy with Prosititutes and Drugs, alot of changed over the past 10 years or so....the point being though is how comfortable are YOU?, regardless of what people are saying, for me personally, there are other areas of the City that I would rather live(like South Tampa). But thats me.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:21 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christinelaabs View Post
i MOVED FROM OUT OF ST. FROM wA. sTATE, AND WELL PEOPLE KEEP TELLING ME, THAT i MOVDD TO A BAD AREA
i AM BETWEEN haNNA AND sLIGH, NEAR n. 9TH ST.
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP..
I used to own property not too far from there from 2000 - 2003. Back then it was really crime infested and dangerous even though the area didn't look that bad. I don't know if it's cleaned up now or not, since I don't live in Tampa or own property there any longer.

I agree with tampaguy - there are much better places in Tampa to live, South Tampa being the best, IMO. After south Tampa, I would pick old Carrollwood, or possibly Temple Terrace; or at least if you stay in Seminole Heights go well west of Florida Ave. But that's just me. Have you had or seen any problems with the area? How about your neighbors? I would ask around, or check some crime maps.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:37 AM

154 posts, read 533,685 times
Christinelaabs: you might want to take the opinion from the poster below with a grain of salt. This poster think that the people of Tampa are: "REDNECKS and maybe one or two friendly people".

Obviously the one or two friendly people don't live near Nebraska Ave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
Nebraska is rundown and tacky. There are a lot of transients etc. It is a ghetto area of Tampa.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:44 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
Maybe where you live but have you been down all of Nebraska from Downtown to where it merges with FLa Ave near Land O Lakes?

That is McFarland Park area IIRC. That area is not bad but there are some not so good areas around it. You aren't too far from Hillsborough River. There are some really nice $$$ homes around McFarland Park.

There are many areas like Seminole Heights and Tampa Heights were a certain portion is fine but go a few streets away and it has not been revitilized. Talk to your neighbors or check the crime map if you are worried.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:14 AM

Default Fun things to do in this new area of Sem. Heights

I hear that there is a zoo and some parks here. I would love to know more to do. so I can be positive about this area too. peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay