U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2013, 08:04 AM

8,704 posts, read 9,419,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiepoke View Post
I haven't had any issues with bugs since I've moved here...I think they're taken care of by all the snakes
and the lizards.

It is possible that people who complain of bug issues live away from the coast and maybe, just maybe, it has to do with the lack of breeze more inland.....at least as far as flying bugs. We have been here for over half the year so far and no problems at all with any kinds of bugs....whether they be flying or crawling. Or then again, maybe people who have problems with bugs just aren't very clean people.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 12:58 PM

25,359 posts, read 14,243,156 times
hahahah the luv bugs lol... love it.. just imagine rain, heat and lost of places to breed,,, Florida-

Old 05-15-2013, 03:46 PM

484 posts, read 657,706 times
A couple spiders inside my pool enclosure is really all the bugs we have had to deal with. Nothing so far inside the house. No bug spray here - too toxic.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:49 PM

323 posts, read 610,820 times
We didn't have any bugs in our apartment in Gulfport, and pest control was considered an "amenity" lol. But hey, it worked. Now that we have a house on an incredibly wooded/landscaped lot, we see a lot more bugs. Lots of jeweled spiders, palmettos, ants, brown spiders. However, pest control (and two cats) keeps the pests in the house down to a minimum. We occasionally see a palmetto, but I honestly don't see any other bugs in the house. The palmettos seem to find their way in after a really heavy rain. We consider it a tradeoff, either live on an empty treeless lot and probably have fewer bugs and other creepy crawlies (we've got lots of snakes, lizards and tree frogs, squirrels and I believe an armadillo or two) or live on a nice sized parcel of land with tons of greenery in an established neighborhood that values the wildlife and plants. If you've lived in Costa Rica, I don't think FL is going to awe you much in terms of bugs.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:50 PM

1,988 posts, read 4,842,096 times
I lived in Tampa 12 years and on the east coast 25 years before that. As for bugs inside the home: the occasional house spider and jumpy spider, a wold spider once, a palmetto bug here and there (they really prefer outside), sugar ants. That's about it, and we never did much preventative spraying for pests.
I've seen a LOT more bug since I moved to GA... millipedes, several species of spiders, scorpions, ants, beetles... I'm so glad to be moving back to Florida where there are less bugs!!

Old 05-15-2013, 09:40 PM

5,120 posts, read 3,796,274 times
My chief complain is the mosquitoes last year they were unbearable more so than I can remember since I moved here.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:18 AM

5,592 posts, read 2,648,596 times
Welcome to nature,people.
You want to live somewhere that's not a concrete jungle ? Funnily enough, so do bugs. After all, they were here first.
Learn to co-exist with them because they're not going to go away no matter how many chemicals you throw at them.
It's like saying you want to live somewhere with all the cuddly stuff such as dolphins and manatees but not the creepy-crawlies. It just ain't gonna happen.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:36 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,010,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Welcome to nature,people.
You want to live somewhere that's not a concrete jungle ? Funnily enough, so do bugs. After all, they were here first.
Learn to co-exist with them because they're not going to go away no matter how many chemicals you throw at them.
It's like saying you want to live somewhere with all the cuddly stuff such as dolphins and manatees but not the creepy-crawlies. It just ain't gonna happen.
This.

Bugs exist here in Florida no matter what one poster here seems to think. Bugs, lizards, snakes, and alligators are all part of living in paradise.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:26 AM

8,704 posts, read 9,419,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
Lizards, snakes, and alligators are all part of living in paradise.
Yes. and I enjoy all of them. Just haven't had the kind of issues with bugs as some seem to. Maybe I just keep a cleaner household.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:03 AM

25,359 posts, read 14,243,156 times
not always about clean it's what's in the walls/ or neighbors or what mound you decided to park your new house on... I rem my last house, the neighbor had bug issues and when the exterminator came to heir home came to mine and said --spray your house cause they will come looking for a new dweling... Some times boxes etc will bring bugs, and you just have to be watchful. I hate the hard brown beetles that are hanging on my screen door- and the worse is during a big rain & a huge plametto bug always finds a way in/ ugh!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay