U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2009, 08:03 PM

30 posts, read 93,303 times

Advertisements

Let me apologize from the start since I know there are a lot of these threads already posted and I'm just adding to the lot. I read most of them and have picked up some decent info, however I would be interested in hearing more. I will be moving to Tampa in May from the Bay Area of California; although, I'm not necessarily new to Florida. From '03 to '07 I lived in Melbourne, FL but only took a few trips to Tampa, not nearly enough to know the area all that well. My stay in Florida was enough to want to bring me back for more though! I will be working downtown and would like to live in a decent area within a 20-30 minute drive.

After speaking with my Tampa counterparts they advised that the places I would be most interested in are Hyde Park, Seminole Heights, and Channelside (downtown, basically). I'm assuming they recommended these areas because I am single and like to get out. After looking into these areas it seems that Hyde park and Channelside are probably the most intriguing. Would I be wrong in assuming this?

Your insight on these areas would be greatly beneficial since I will not be able to travel out there before I move. The way I see it having varying opinions, or simply an abundance of them, is always a good thing. Also please advise if there are areas I should be leery of. I definitely appreciate the help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 08:31 PM

1,824 posts, read 7,983,064 times
WHat is important to you? Proximity to work, renting or buying, house or condo, surburbs/chain big box stores and strip malls, or mom and pop retail and restaurants, proximty to nightlife, etc...

Hyde Park...very nice neighborhood, Channelside, brand new urban neighborhood...thre is also areas like Harbour Island, Davis Islands, and many toher neighborhoods in the South Tampa area...

Old 03-01-2009, 08:57 PM

I can't say that I am necessarily worried about major retail, malls, or any of the like. As I mentioned previously, I would like to stay somewhere within the 20-30 minute commute range. I will be working directly downtown so I figure I have somewhat decent options. The other areas you mentioned were also given to me so I should probably put them on the list to check out more thoroughly. I will be renting for at least a year so I can get a feel for the area and decide where I would like to buy later. At this point I am looking into condos, townhomes, and single family residences. Since prices are extremely outrageous here in CA I am able to get a decent place without spending a fortune, at least that is what I have seen thus far. Obviously the more desired areas are a little pricier but I can live with that. Currently, Hyde Park is at the top of the list but Channelside, Harbour Island, and Davis Island are not too far behind. As I am a single 31/M, I do like to get out a bit but I wouldn't necessarily say I am a frequent partier or clubber. When I do go out I would much rather hit up the smaller places which I feel have a little more personality to them.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:34 AM

1,824 posts, read 7,983,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshStart09 View Post
As I am a single 31/M, I do like to get out a bit but I wouldn't necessarily say I am a frequent partier or clubber. When I do go out I would much rather hit up the smaller places which I feel have a little more personality to them.

Sounds like South Tampa neighborhoods would fit in well for you.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:35 PM

27,798 posts, read 29,723,554 times
depends on your finances, too - you can find some nice condos to rent/buy on Harbour Island - from reviewing websites, it looks like the apartments at SoHo and along Bayshore BLVD aren't that nice (old, run down) - and still more expensive.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
Sounds like South Tampa neighborhoods would fit in well for you.
From what I have read on the forum and on the internet you are probably right. I do appreciate your help. I look forward to getting out there and actually getting a FRESHSTART! Let me know of any places I should check out when I get there. I'm sure an hour after I get there I'll be at some spot drinking my first beer!

Old 03-02-2009, 12:58 PM

check out Tampaguy's blog - he has a ton of recommendations for the local restuarants, bars, etc. Very good blog site, imo.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
depends on your finances, too - you can find some nice condos to rent/buy on Harbour Island - from reviewing websites, it looks like the apartments at SoHo and along Bayshore BLVD aren't that nice (old, run down) - and still more expensive.
Yea, finances are actually quite good, no problems there. I have been looking at a few condos, but not apartments. Ideally, I would like to be in something more like a townhome/single family home/ or loft. I'll have to rent for the first year since I do not know Tampa well but after that I'll figure out where I want to buy.

My new boss has actually mentioned Harbour Island also. Is there much to do there? From what I seen it simply looked like a great place to live that was close to all the attractions. Is this accurate?

It seems as though Channelside was a pretty trendy place to live also and that the city is trying to build more there to make it more of an attraction. I have looked in this area also and it seems that lofts and condos are the what I would be looking at there. I agree with your comment about most of the apartments along Bayshore. They seem to be older, however, I'm sure it is still a nice place to stay. An apartment would be my last resort though.

Thanks for the post.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:54 PM

Waterfront 1 Bedroom 1 Bath on Davis Islands (http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/apa/1057098424.html - broken link)

Old 03-02-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Waterfront 1 Bedroom 1 Bath on Davis Islands (http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/apa/1057098424.html - broken link)

Another good one, but unfortunately I am looking for 2bd/2ba in the area. My daughter stays with me every summer so it is important that she have her own room. Plus, I already have a list of friends that plan on visiting...happened shortly after I found out I was moving. Definitely plan on having a good time out there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay