U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 08:50 PM

15,021 posts, read 10,563,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameraLens View Post
Then how do we know if she really got a good job or not?

How? Simple!
If she got ANY job and she is HAPPY with her job, then all is good and fine! Her perception and expectations of a good job is her very own thoughts and may not measure or match up to your own.

I have a GREAT job! But you may think it's the pitts. We are all different.
Sounds like she is very happy just to have A job!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 10:02 PM

47 posts, read 186,658 times
It doesn't matter whether or not YOU think I got a great job or not and certainly not up to YOU whether or not my pay is good.
Should I also be asked to prove I live in Vermont? Would you like my address so you can come see for yourself???
The point is, I have no reason to make up fake realities. Truth be told, this job may not be the perfect job but it is a JOB and it will pay my bills. I know I am fortunate for that.
Can we please get back to how dang EXCITED I am that I am employed and will be moving in less than 2 weeks!??!! Tampa Bay here I come!!

Old 08-04-2009, 06:19 PM

92 posts, read 330,449 times
LOL. Meanwhile these greedy fat cat employers are lickin' their lips on their way to the bank while they profit off of workers who are thankful just to be able to scrape by and pay the bills.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:36 PM

508 posts, read 1,022,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaStar View Post
Hello again! So I've secured a job 12 minutes from my apartment in Palm Harbor. It's right at the end of Tampa Rd before it becomes Ozona. SOOOOOOOO EXCITED!!
I think proving people wrong is 1/2 the fun of accomplishment! No one thought I'd be able to find a job while I lived in VT. But I did and it's well within the pay limits I set for myself. From the phone conversations I've had, the job sounds great. And if it's not, at least it's money to pay the bills.
Only 2 weeks and I'll be making the drive to my new home. I can't believe how fast the time went.
I honestly can't wait. It's going to be such a huge change. A change I'm totally pumped for!
Congratulations! It's fun to read your excitement.

Quote:
...And last, my boyfriend and I would like any suggestions for fun, inexpensive things to do for couples. Cool restaurants, fun community events, hidden local treasures, best places to watch a sunset. Really I'm down for anything from walking through a farmers market to sky diving...
Take some time on a weekend to go south of Tampa, there's so many secluded places along the coast and great destinations for shopping, recreation etc.. you'll see it I'm sure. Siesta Key has a drum circle, Myakka Park get's you up close with nature and has a lookout point above the treetops, there's a few places that take you diving off St Pete's area for sand dollars and starfish, I also heard something about a snorkeling tour where you might find Spanish doublons, a sunset view at St Armands is cool and then you can walk into the downtown for something to eat or drink, you should check out the Mote Marine Aquarium on (Longboat?) I think that's where it's at, nice little place with rehabilitation efforts for sea creatures. Farmers Market is every Saturday in downtown Sarasota but lots of places down there have orchards or markets open almost every day. A drive past the mansions of Casey Key is kinda neat, while daydreaming about being rich and then you can go sit on their beach.....I guess I just wanted to throw in a vote for the Sarasota area and all the little keys leading to Port Charlotte! Landywithafan has alot to share on this topic...

Last edited by ZaraZoteBuccaneer; 08-04-2009 at 06:50 PM..

Old 08-04-2009, 07:28 PM

161 posts, read 413,534 times
i havent read the whole thread (being lazy tonight, sorry guys), so if i repeat any ideas that were already thrown out, my apologies. also, sorry for the long post.

Quote:

* I hear June - August is probably the worst time of year to be moving to Tampa because of the heat and thunderstorms... I'll be driving my black car all the way down... How bad are the storms? When does the weather get really bad? When does the weather start getting better and more mild? What is your favorite time of year in Tampa?
THIS IS MY FAVORITE TIME OF YEAR HERE! the heat can be overbearing, but we youngins throw on a pair of shorts and get outside. and when it rains, it can be so very awesome to watch, once in awhile its a bit heavy and difficult to drive, but not for long...something youll learn about this area, it can rain on one side of the street and not the other, frequently a shower over your house can last only ten minutes. the rains tend to let up after the hurricane season ends. please dont be scared of hurricanes either, ive lived here almost my whole life and every summer, we throw hurricane parties when the power goes out; its something we look forward to. about october the weather usually lets up, but be ready to wear shorts most of the year.

Quote:

*I have a feeling the homesickness will kick in at some point... any suggestions of things to check out that will keep my mind busy and interested in Tampa? I'm really excited to live near the ocean and experience a small city atmosphere. I'm very into photography so I'm sure if I just go exploring I'll find loads of things to take pictures of.
kayak out to the small islands in the intercoastal and camp (its free and part of the parks system). make sure to take some bug spray, though often you wont need it. build a huge fire, enjoy a night with no cars, and little noise other than waves, take many photos! if you havent yet bought your own kayaks, you can rent them at the dunedin causeway for maybe about 40 bucks for 4 hour blocks, but buying your own is a great idea, (check craigslist for good deals)

Quote:

*We will most likely be living in Sabal Palms at Boot Ranch in Palm Harbor... Do you guys have any thoughts on that complex?? Suggest any places that you like better? Cool stuff to check out in the area? Can I walk to anything right from the complex? Is it safe enough for me to walk?
Uh, walking in that area is about out of the question. get very use to car-dominated pinellas county. check out dunedin house to rent if you are looking for a more pedestrian friendly community.

Quote:

*I know that many people in Tampa aren't necessarily from Tampa. Anything I should know as a newcomer about things I shouldn't say or do? I'm very open minded and not necessarily sheltered so I'm not naive to normal social behavior... but from reading some threads on here I get a bit weary. I am really courteous to strangers (ie. hold the door, say thank you for those that hold the door to me, let people out in traffic, etc.) and I'm just wondering if people are going to look at me funny if I do those things. Also, I've heard that many people don't tip in Tampa and I always tip at Starbucks or take-out places, not a lot but at the very least a dollar, is that unnecessary?
we tip at starbucks (at least i do). people here can be...very undereducated and rude sometimes. its probably like this everywhere, but it drives me nuts. anyway, dont wear socks with sandals, and of course go buy some sandals, we tend to wear them A LOT! also, bathing suits usually allow us to pick out non-locals; try mandalay surf shop on clearwater beach. DONT SIT IN YOUR AIR-CONDITIONED HOUSE ALL THE TIME ISOLATING YOURSELF! get out, have fun! youll find good people and bad people, good drivers and bad drivers. youll be fine.

Quote:

*And last, my boyfriend and I would like any suggestions for fun, inexpensive things to do for couples. Cool restaurants, fun community events, hidden local treasures, best places to watch a sunset. Really I'm down for anything from walking through a farmers market to sky diving...
im in my late 20s and i can tell you a few decent spots...

downtown dunedin (park your car):
House of beers (40 brews on tap, decent prices)
Casa Tinas (if weekend, plan on waiting a loooooong time) try their beer "mexican style" with hot sauce and other sauces
Skips bar on the trail (bike bar, like bycle, lots of youth hang out here for the cheap drinks)
Green market on friday mornings
walk down edgewater, the long street on the water, always walkers, sunset is great
dunedin marina, always fishers at night (sometimes all night) who are usually friendly, people like to sit here and watch the sun or have a beer
rent a bike (or buy one somewhere!) and take the pinellas trail which runs the length of the county and is heavily used especially during weekends
UPCOMING: dunedin fine art museums gallery off main street

downtown st pete (maybe park your car):
st pete fine art museum, recently expanded, often many exhibits of decent quality
cupcake spot on central, sells only gourmet cupcakes made on locations, delicious!
the gas plant, a four story antique store further down central, awesome finds!
2nd saturdays are very popular, though i stay away because of the...rowdy crowds, they block off central for a ways, open containers allowed
ceviche tapas restuarant on central, i think its overpriced, but very popular tapas and sangria, one of my wifes favs, salsa dancing on saturday nights
saturday farmers market in the morning

tampa (bring your car):
international plaza, somewhat high end shopping mall
skatepark of tampa, art, youth, skateboarders (if youre into this sort of thing)
mons venus, internationally known strip club (full nude, no alcohol)
ybor, rowdy on the weekends, but many bars and lots of people

greater tampa (car needed, vote yes for high speed rail!):
south florida museum
hillsbourgh river park
weedon island with kayaking
crystal river archeological park (indian mounds!)
beaches beaches beaches! sandkey, honeymoon island, fort desoto!

i hope some of this helps

Last edited by aninaction; 08-04-2009 at 08:20 PM..

Old 08-04-2009, 09:27 PM

47 posts, read 186,658 times
WOW!!! Thanks so much aninaction and ZaraZoteBuccaneer!! That is a lot of knowledge! I can't wait to show the boyfriend (who's been living in Tampa Bay for 3 years) some stuff he's never done or been to!!!
Zara, I've heard Sarasota is beautiful and I know he's never been there.
aninaction, thanks for the nice breakdown! We both enjoy exploring and taking full advantage of our surroundings. I think I've got the flip flops and summer attire down. Come to VT in March on a rare sunny 55 degree day and you'll see hoards of scantically clad youngins'. We are so desperate for sunshine after 5 months of miserable weather we'll dig to the back of the closet for the skirts and flip flops only to put them back the next day.
Only 10 more days! (Could I request a dancing emoticon???)

Old 08-05-2009, 05:02 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,255,279 times
I don't think someone should work to pay the bills ONLY! that is a waste of time, if you're not making any profits and can't afford to save anything left from your paycheck you're not any better than a slave!

The attractions in Tampa will not be within reach if all you make pays the bills and nothing else is left to enjoy any of it! You'll be miserable once THAT reality sets in and you're stuck in the house!

Soon, you will end up with so many beach and beach photos, boats and lizards....that you won't know what to do with them!? there is no variety in the landscape here in Tampa, we don't have mountains or seasons....it will take a while to get used to that.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:03 AM

7,136 posts, read 11,564,537 times
I'm so happy for you! Don't let the perpetually negative posters spoil this special time for you. Tampa is a great place to live and it's very rare for anyone to start at the top of the pay scale! Most of us started our working lives just barely being able to cover our bills and worked our way up from there. I know I was living on change at the end of each month when I began my career and it turned out fine. Coming from Vermont, you'll especially appreciate the weather and natural beauty. Check out Fort DeSoto when you get a chance - I never tire of that place. Be safe on your way down.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:46 AM

15,926 posts, read 33,578,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I'm so happy for you! Don't let the perpetually negative posters spoil this special time for you. Tampa is a great place to live and it's very rare for anyone to start at the top of the pay scale! Most of us started our working lives just barely being able to cover our bills and worked our way up from there. I know I was living on change at the end of each month when I began my career and it turned out fine. Coming from Vermont, you'll especially appreciate the weather and natural beauty. Check out Fort DeSoto when you get a chance - I never tire of that place. Be safe on your way down.
Sunnydee, I so agree with you. When me and DH were first starting out we used to have to shake the piggy bank for a night out at the local buffet joint! lol. Now years later having worked our way up, we are doing great and appreciate what we have. Bottom line, IMO, there is NO BETTER PLACE TO LIVE than the Gulf Coast regions of Florida, which to me is the greater Tampa Bay area which includes several counties. The whole area has so much to offer, I feel really blessed to live here - in fact almost every day I get up and give thanks that I live here.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:19 AM

161 posts, read 413,534 times
i disagree somewhat with algia on the lack of variety in photography opportunities. as a professional in the arts field, ive just had to get more creative and explore a little bit more. yes i did take a picture of a lizard this week (he was soooooo tiny), but there are plenty of things to take photos of.....

a true story: my friend who is a professional photographer was crying one day while we were at the beach about having nothing to take photos of and how nothing ever happened...at the EXACT moment he finished his last word, a fish jumped from the wave coming at us, flying through the air at least ten feet, smacking me right in the face and ricocheting right off my face. we all laughed and had wished we had gotten a photo of it.

check out jack jack swenningsen, the photographer who helped define the tampa bay area, hes still alive living here, at 92 years old
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay