U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 11:42 AM

27 posts, read 143,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheadabovewater View Post
Hi TampaStar, I just feel I have to throw in my two cents' worth.

I'm a CA native, but most of my relatives live in Tampa. I'm getting laid off in a few months, and I previously made rock-solid plans to move to Tampa this year. I had called the moving company and was starting to get rid of things, then I went to Tampa again a few months ago - and I called off the move. Why? Let me list the reasons below:

1. Commuting. I will be basically starting over in the TB area, so I will most likely be working downtown. I'm used to living in a lovely area (I'm currently in Cupertino, CA) so I'd like the same after my move. I realized during this last trip that if I want to live in a "nice" area of Tampa Bay, I'll have probably an hour of commute time each way. What a downer!

Believe me, I've done a LOT of research over the past few years on the areas in Tampa Bay to live in, especially on this board and during the times I've been there. My niece is the entertainment editor on CreativeLoafing, so she is a great resource for information on good and bad areas to live in. I might consider living in the better area of Seminole Heights which isn't too far from downtown, but if that didn't work out, I'd most likely have to drive to Lutz or Tampa Palms (I like Brandon but the commute is awful). So that goes into....

2. Roads - condition, car pooling, etc. I've been spoiled by CA traffic - they've done a lot over the past ten years here to create car pool lanes, meters on the on-ramps, signs stating how long it takes to get to certain areas. etc. Commuting in CA is actually much better than in Tampa, which surprises a lot of people. As someone said in another post, the roads in Tampa are simply not kept up. No car pool lanes - no meters. Traffic is HORRENDOUS during rush hour. If I was living in Lutz, it would take probably 45 minutes - 1 hour to get home. I know, I've been in that traffic many times. Things are better than they were - recently signs were put up that state travel times, but Tampa has a long way to go.

3. If I stay here, I'll have an easier time finding a job during this recession than if I go to Tampa. I've been in CA all my life and I have a lot of connections with a lot of networks. I have nothing like that in Tampa. I realize that's specific to me, but it may pertain to others.

4. I live in Silicon Valley and I'm a computer geek, which means I'm used to the latest technology being used...well, everywhere - work places, homes, you name it. In Tampa - at least to me - it's not the same. None of my sister's friends are on email. Most of them don't know how to turn on a computer. Again this is probably "me-specific", but I'm afraid that technologically, I might be unhappy there. Could be minor to others, but it's a little higher up on the priority list for me.

5. Crime rate - much higher than where I currently live - so much that it's a real consideration.

6. Downtown Tampa. What a waste of good space! It amazes me that they haven't developed more restaurants/sidewalk cafes, etc. there. It's all business and it closes up at 5 PM on weekdays and is a ghost town on weekends. Nobody home, nothing there. Zippo. Nada. Wasteland.

7. Salaries. I realize the cost of living is much lower in Tampa, but I would be earning approximately 30 - 35% (if I'm lucky) of what I make now (I'm an executive assistant). That means I'd be broke all the time. Hey, I went thru my poor times and hated it....I have enough money now to live comfortably and put some in the bank. We exec assts get bonuses and stock options in CA, which is unheard of in Tampa. I don't want to be poor again.

I would still like to move to Tampa someday, but it will probably occur after I retire. By then I'll have more money saved up and I won't have to worry about commuting. I would love to live closer to my sister.

I realize others will probably totally disagree with at least some of what I have to say, but these are my honest thoughts.
People here are "on email", it's no silicon valley but you see iPods walking down the street with people attached everywhere. Downtown tampa is picking up now that the condos are filling. Due to the bubble and collapse, there are actually some condos down here that are converting to rentals at this time, so you can live in a brand new condo right in downtown tampa for a pretty nice price. Can't beat walking to work!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 12:57 PM

232 posts, read 526,425 times
I was just there last weekend and took a picture of a baby lizard

One fun thing to check out is Vinoy Park in St. Petersburg. I saw a pod of dolphins swimming at the marina entrance on Sunday morning (around 10 a.m.)

Old 08-05-2009, 01:48 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,254,543 times
Right, because the beach/ocean/wild life and fish and lizards/gators all look different every time you see them? LOL If you want to see fish jumping out of the water I suggest going to Sunset Key Park in Tarpon Springs, you can also see that at Howard Park, and sting rays in Honeymoon Island....The sun sets pretty much the same, the only thing that makes it a bit different every time is the clouds around! no clouds, well, same sunset! how many times can you do that in 365 days a year before it gets OLD? the only photography you can get here is weddings and stock, you take as many yacht photos and lizards until you have enough to make up a store front! Then what? that sounds pretty boring to me! and especially with what people pay for stock these days....I am not sure it is worth your fuel!

TampaGuy32
You forgot to mention that walking to work in Down town requires extra cash for all the homeless asking for it! been through there in the morning time and they were all out waiting to be fed some booze money!!!!! that should make it for an interesting walk, especially if you walk from those condos passed the courthouse! pretty much everything else is dead, not much action for a down town! been through there several times and it all looked the same, I am trying to figure out at what time a day you've been there and what you saw other than what I mentioned??

In my sub division I can count the people we see in one week on one hand! it looks deserted, like one of those ghost towns in the wild west!

You can't have people expect they will find a great walkable area here, especially if they come from California or the east coast (NY, NJ) seriously! Plus, even if you had a more walkable area, you still have to warn people about the heat and how will they carry a few pounds of groceries in this heat??? or need a change of shirt of they go to work since they'll be drenched by the time they walk that mile from the condos to the courthouse for example!

Sure we have water sports, so what? water sports don't pay the bills!

Working your way up the ladder if your're in your 40, 50's...good luck! I see people in their 80's "working up the ladder" at Publix!

I will say it again, even if it falls on deaf ears, Tampa (and FL at large) is NOT for the middle class. Either you're low class (Springer's people, and poor), or very very rich, in my field I've seen people buying homes without even seeing them, one did last week, dropped 2 million bucks on a house in Davis Islands without even touring it! this should give you an idea of what kind of people live around here!

Oh well, I really hope for your sake that you new found job will provide enough for you, your bills and some entertainment, otherwise you will want to be in the first flight out of here very soon! and will probably appreciate snow. Like many who left did......

I don't think it is fair to raise someone's expectations when they are looking to move here from other parts of the country who are KNOWN for carrying a lot better for their citizens. Sure if someone moves here from a 3rd world country, they'll think it's heaven........however, people who've lived in places who have lots of good quality culture, well paid jobs and general respect for others will have a culture shock when they'll get down here!

This hardly has to do with just one person's opinion....Usually the people who have more "negative inclined" opinions on this board and others, ARE people who actually experienced and lived in cities that were far better than Tampa or any other city in FL and who didn't get the "death look" for holding the door for someone!

Good Luck!

Old 08-05-2009, 02:07 PM

15,925 posts, read 33,574,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Right, because the beach/ocean/wild life and fish and lizards/gators all look different every time you see them? LOL If you want to see fish jumping out of the water I suggest going to Sunset Key Park in Tarpon Springs, you can also see that at Howard Park, and sting rays in Honeymoon Island....The sun sets pretty much the same, the only thing that makes it a bit different every time is the clouds around! no clouds, well, same sunset! how many times can you do that in 365 days a year before it gets OLD? the only photography you can get here is weddings and stock, you take as many yacht photos and lizards until you have enough to make up a store front! Then what? that sounds pretty boring to me! and especially with what people pay for stock these days....I am not sure it is worth your fuel!

TampaGuy32
You forgot to mention that walking to work in Down town requires extra cash for all the homeless asking for it! been through there in the morning time and they were all out waiting to be fed some booze money!!!!! that should make it for an interesting walk, especially if you walk from those condos passed the courthouse! pretty much everything else is dead, not much action for a down town! been through there several times and it all looked the same, I am trying to figure out at what time a day you've been there and what you saw other than what I mentioned??

In my sub division I can count the people we see in one week on one hand! it looks deserted, like one of those ghost towns in the wild west!

You can't have people expect they will find a great walkable area here, especially if they come from California or the east coast (NY, NJ) seriously! Plus, even if you had a more walkable area, you still have to warn people about the heat and how will they carry a few pounds of groceries in this heat??? or need a change of shirt of they go to work since they'll be drenched by the time they walk that mile from the condos to the courthouse for example!

Sure we have water sports, so what? water sports don't pay the bills!

Working your way up the ladder if your're in your 40, 50's...good luck! I see people in their 80's "working up the ladder" at Publix!

I will say it again, even if it falls on deaf ears, Tampa (and FL at large) is NOT for the middle class. Either you're low class (Springer's people, and poor), or very very rich, in my field I've seen people buying homes without even seeing them, one did last week, dropped 2 million bucks on a house in Davis Islands without even touring it! this should give you an idea of what kind of people live around here!

Oh well, I really hope for your sake that you new found job will provide enough for you, your bills and some entertainment, otherwise you will want to be in the first flight out of here very soon! and will probably appreciate snow. Like many who left did......

I don't think it is fair to raise someone's expectations when they are looking to move here from other parts of the country who are KNOWN for carrying a lot better for their citizens. Sure if someone moves here from a 3rd world country, they'll think it's heaven........however, people who've lived in places who have lots of good quality culture, well paid jobs and general respect for others will have a culture shock when they'll get down here!

This hardly has to do with just one person's opinion....Usually the people who have more "negative inclined" opinions on this board and others, ARE people who actually experienced and lived in cities that were far better than Tampa or any other city in FL and who didn't get the "death look" for holding the door for someone!

Good Luck!
Why the heck did you ever move here, anyway? Surely you would be happier somewhere else, and I mean that in a sincere way.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:32 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,254,543 times
gypsychic
Hubby got new job here! hardly had a choice! his previous company laid him off!

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Tampa, I just don't like it when some people sugar coat an area (because their situation is ALL GOOD) or because they enjoy water sports making the assumption that all the other people who move here, only move for the water sports! completely ignoring the fact that some of these people may actually have been exposed to some awesome culture and high quality entertainment in their lives and good paychecks! .....and then I go to the store/beach/restaurants and all I see is miserable people who wouldn't say "Thank you" when I hold the door open for them! or people who think they are far better than everyone else as they walk back to their Hummers, without saying "thank you" if I had held the door...

I would gladly stop being polite too, and join the general attitude that people have, unfortunately I can't do that as I have small kids who I teach manners (everywhere we go), so I can't act impolite while I am telling THEM to always BE polite!!!!!!! catch 22 for sure!

Old 08-05-2009, 04:27 PM

47 posts, read 186,645 times
Wah Wah Wah... hopefully we never meet.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:11 PM

161 posts, read 413,501 times
im going to partially agree and disagree with algia

if youve lived in a big city with lots of culture, higher pay, more respect, tampa will seem a bit....below standard to say the least. i dont think that means that all there is to do or take pictures of is lizards and sunsets. as a 20 somethings professional, i keep pretty busy and i do think there are many unique opportunities in this area (though personally i would be happier in chicago perhaps). just about everything in this area is, unfortunately, brought to a pretty low standard because of tourism and cheap labor, but that doesnt mean EVERYONE has a hummer and doesnt give a crap or that EVERYONE is poor and uneducated, it just means there are some of those sort of people. trends amongst under 30s seem to be different for the area (more urban, creative lifestyles with some level of education and community responsibility)

algia, are you familiar with the art scene is the greater tampa bay area, the good and the bad? do you seriously not enjoying riding your bike on the trail or kayaking to honeymoon once in awhile? have you lived in the dunedin area, where sense of community sometimes is a bit stronger?

check out: suncoast primate sanctuary in palm harbor

Old 08-05-2009, 06:32 PM

15,925 posts, read 33,574,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
gypsychic
Hubby got new job here! hardly had a choice! his previous company laid him off!

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Tampa, I just don't like it when some people sugar coat an area (because their situation is ALL GOOD) or because they enjoy water sports making the assumption that all the other people who move here, only move for the water sports! completely ignoring the fact that some of these people may actually have been exposed to some awesome culture and high quality entertainment in their lives and good paychecks! .....and then I go to the store/beach/restaurants and all I see is miserable people who wouldn't say "Thank you" when I hold the door open for them! or people who think they are far better than everyone else as they walk back to their Hummers, without saying "thank you" if I had held the door...

I would gladly stop being polite too, and join the general attitude that people have, unfortunately I can't do that as I have small kids who I teach manners (everywhere we go), so I can't act impolite while I am telling THEM to always BE polite!!!!!!! catch 22 for sure!
You know, it's good to set a good example, not only for your kids, but everyone else. don't let rude people ruin your day. We all have the choice of being happy or miserable, and it is possible to change one's attitude and make the best of things. I am always teaching myself not to be reactionary when I don't like what someone says or how they behave. It's a lesson in discipline. You won't regret teaching your children how to be happy and behave properly.

I am sure that living here is yet just another chapter in your life which when you move on the negative will fade and you will probably remember what you did like about the area.

I have been a pretty grateful and appreciative person most of my life, so I guess I am always pretty happy even when things aren't as good as they could be. You know, the type that sees the glass as "half full." What country are you from?

Old 08-05-2009, 06:48 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,963,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aninaction View Post
im going to partially agree and disagree with algia

if youve lived in a big city with lots of culture, higher pay, more respect, tampa will seem a bit....below standard to say the least. i dont think that means that all there is to do or take pictures of is lizards and sunsets. as a 20 somethings professional, i keep pretty busy and i do think there are many unique opportunities in this area (though personally i would be happier in chicago perhaps). just about everything in this area is, unfortunately, brought to a pretty low standard because of tourism and cheap labor, but that doesnt mean EVERYONE has a hummer and doesnt give a crap or that EVERYONE is poor and uneducated, it just means there are some of those sort of people. trends amongst under 30s seem to be different for the area (more urban, creative lifestyles with some level of education and community responsibility)

algia, are you familiar with the art scene is the greater tampa bay area, the good and the bad? do you seriously not enjoying riding your bike on the trail or kayaking to honeymoon once in awhile? have you lived in the dunedin area, where sense of community sometimes is a bit stronger?

check out: suncoast primate sanctuary in palm harbor
The bay area and FL in general just isn't for everyone. You see it mentioned over and over again that it is such a low paying state and the lack of industry and jobs but so many of the states the transplants have moved from are dissolving in that aspect as well. One should keep in my mind that they have largely squandered their well paying opportunities in northern states by being inefficient and basically letting a bunch of uneducated Chinese show them how to do it right, hence the Rustbelt. An example that comes to mind is the auto companies, they no longer start at $28 an hour, it's $14 an hour now.

It takes a special kind of individual to succeed in FL, one who is creative, smart, and not only has skills but can utilize those skills with a little finesse and is a good time manager and productive. These are attributes many tranplants don't posses now, nor will they ever, they don't have too as long as Obama keeps pumping handout money to the companies in the North like GM, AIG and a plethora of others. My suggestion to the miseable and downtrodden transplants in the great state of FL would be to return to thier home states where under the current administration they can continue to be unproductive and get the handouts so at least they would have some income.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:09 PM

47 posts, read 186,645 times
Some people just fail regardless what profession they choose. That's just who they are. Failures.
I live my life knowing that my downfalls are my responsibility and I also know my successes are entirely mine as well. Going around blaming other people or entire states or governments for their lives being miserable is pathetic. Nothing more. I am not rich nor did I graduate at the top of my class but I have money (money I have worked hard for) and a plethora of knowledge I have spent a lifetime acquiring. If I hadn't landed a job, I guarantee you I would not be on this board crying about how Florida employers are evil jerks that won't give me a break. I would suck it up, hope I wouldn't have to dig too deep into my well-planned savings and go at it extra hard once I was down there. My responsibility. My life.
Now, I am asking nicely, if certain members of this forum want to whine about their sad miserable lives, please start your own thread.
This thread, MY thread, is about how I am HAPPY and EXCITED to be moving to the Tampa Bay area and how super PROUD I am to have found a job. Members who would like to comment on those topics, feel free to post.
Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or