U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 03:57 PM

108 posts, read 338,481 times

Advertisements

Way to go!

Keep posting! You can let Tampa Wannabe residents like me

know what moving and living there is like!

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 05:56 PM

47 posts, read 186,645 times
Well one week down!! So far it's awesome.
I've started learning my way around. Navigating takes a little bit of time to get used to but if you are a good quality driver, you'll be fine. Do Not Tail!!! Seriously... people love braking out here. LOL Once you get the main roads and what direction they run, it's easy.
I've only encountered 2 really rude people so far... I'm sure it's not over but from what I've heard and read I was expecting everyone to be rude jerks and that's certainly not the case. I'm a friendly smiley person so I figure if that's what I put out there, that's generally what I should get back.
My job is great. I don't deal with many people from Florida as we're an international company so I can't comment on that. The people I do work with are cool. Our office is in a cute area. I look out my window every day and am in awe of how many people ride bicycles. Maybe it's just where I am since we're so close to the Pinellas Trail... ?
The rain we had in Palm Harbor on Saturday was pretty intense. I tried to go to Ikea in Tampa and decided to turn around... not worth getting soaked or possibly getting in an accident.
OH! Am I just weird or are those little anole lizards endlessly cute?? I love seeing one scurry under a leaf.
I'll keep checking back in when I have done some more exploring...

Oh and I'll take any suggestions!!!
Where is the St. Pete farmers market located?

Old 08-24-2009, 07:46 PM

1,824 posts, read 7,828,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaStar View Post
Where is the St. Pete farmers market located?
It starts back up in the fall(October maybe?), and located downtown near Al Lopez Field.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:04 PM
MT8

60 posts, read 171,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaStar View Post
OH! Am I just weird or are those little anole lizards endlessly cute?? I love seeing one scurry under a leaf.
They also make great earrings!

Old 08-25-2009, 01:01 PM

14 posts, read 29,516 times
Default I happen...

Hi TampaStar,

I've been down here as a transplant for 2 1/2 years and I still think the little lizards are adorable. Every time I see one they make me smile (and yes I see a lot of them). Plus, they eat other bugs... which makes them a huge favorite in my book!

Congrats on your move and learning your way around already. One tip - roads here can have 2, 3 or even 4 different names! No one ever told me that. Once you figure the main roads that run north/south and east/west, the rest should be pretty easy.

Welcome!

Old 08-25-2009, 04:02 PM

508 posts, read 1,022,121 times
Glad things are still going well. You're turning into a Floridian!!!!

Yeah the lizards totally rock. Try catching one!

Old 09-12-2009, 12:02 PM

16 posts, read 34,190 times
Hey everyone I am moving down to St.pete/tampa area in a couple months I have no debt. I have two yers of car insurance pid up, 1 yer worth of grocery money, 6 mos of rent, and 1 year worth of other bill money saved up do you think I will be ok down there with the job market how it is going?

Old 09-15-2009, 11:09 AM

8 posts, read 88,000 times
laurag, No offense but this is not the place to come for jobs. Unemployment here in the bay area is over 10% now. I'm from here and have been trying to get a job for 1 1/2 years now with no luck. I lost my job in upper management when the company I worked for went down. Please don't come here with out a job lined up. Property taxes are increasing all the time to make up for the lost tourism income.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:47 PM

16 posts, read 34,190 times
flnative thanks for the concern I was asking bout the job market for my room mate I actually allready have a job lined up so I think i will be ok.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:03 PM

47 posts, read 186,645 times
It depends on what your roommate wants to do. I see the grocery store, the bank, and the CVS near my work are hiring. There are jobs, just depends on what you are trying to get. I do know that when I was looking for a job down here there were plenty of office jobs but not living in the area was a huge disadvantage. I honestly don't believe the economy here is worse than other areas of the USA. People are shopping, new restaurants are being opened, people drive nice cars (much nicer than in Vermont), live in decent houses or apartments. Obviously not everyone, but it's not the slums everywhere you look like some people try to make it out to be.
Those are just my observations. I wish anyone that wants to make the move, good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay