U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 06:46 AM

7,269 posts, read 9,751,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurag8707 View Post
flnative thanks for the concern I was asking bout the job market for my room mate I actually allready have a job lined up so I think i will be ok.
"Now" you can find jobs at the places that TampaStar mentioned - I've seen Chase Bank in Oldsmar with a "hiring" banner in front recently.

When mid-October/end of October hits. . . good luck finding anything at all after the High School and College/University students grab them all up for Christmas. I'm a business owner in the area and my applications that I received quadrupled (last year) at right about that time which had me sitting pretty good with employees until the kids went back to school after New Years. This fall/winter, due to the economy and layoffs, etc. - I think there will be many more applicants than I saw last year.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 07:12 AM

7,269 posts, read 9,751,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaStar View Post
I've only encountered 2 really rude people so far... I'm sure it's not over but from what I've heard and read I was expecting everyone to be rude jerks and that's certainly not the case.
TS, you know. . I used to complain that FL had some of the most rude people until I met my Godzilla sized, resident Wolf Spider, with a head the size of a "dinner plate," 2 weeks ago.

Oh! And last week, while waiting for my dog to finish going poop. . 3 feet in back of me was a black snake peeking his head above the height of the grass looking at me. I'm sure it was harmless, maybe a King Snake [I own two snakes here at home, I'm only freaked out by unknown snakes that catch me off-guard] . . but still. . . .

Just some food for thought if ever the people here seem a bit scary. . .

Old 09-20-2009, 05:37 PM

46 posts, read 113,440 times
TampaStar,

How did your relocation go? Did you make the move? I am from NE and considering a move to the St. Pete area. Just want to hear about your 'transplant' experience! Hope you're still checking in...

and to respond to JeepGirl--OMG!! on the wolfspider description. I know the further south you go, the bigger the bugs get, but what do you do besides go into cardiac arrest? Shoot it? :O

Old 09-20-2009, 07:09 PM

72 posts, read 198,243 times
Tampa Star, you are a true optimist, good for you. I hope everything keeps going well for you.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:41 AM

47 posts, read 186,828 times
icorvidae - The relocation has gone awesome! Much better than could have been expected. I love love love living in FL. I don't think I can name one thing I hate about living here. Perhaps some things I could do without but nothing I hate. I might not like living in another part of FL as much. I visited my friend in Orlando this past weekend and realized just how much I like living in the Tampa area more. Palm Harbor (where I live) is beautiful. It's a strange mix of city life and natural beauty.

NYorker4Now- Thanks so much for the compliment. I am a big believe in the basic saying "Life is what you make it!" (SpongeBob Squarepants recently said this and although I'm sure he's not the first, I like quoting sponges that wear slacks and a tie) If you are a miserable minded person, life will be just that, miserable. But, if you are like me and find something to appreciate in everything, life will be just fine. Like the other day, sitting in traffic on Tampa Road, I see this crazy-looking barefoot man running across 6 lanes of traffic holding a turtle... I could think "Damn homeless people taking over, what is this town coming to!" But instead I laughed (for a good 8 minutes) about this guy endangering his life to save a turtle. It was sweet really.

Basically, don't let the negativity spewing out of certain peoples arses change your decision. Use your brain, and follow your heart.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:10 PM

13,768 posts, read 35,438,791 times
Good for you TampaStar. I agree you can focus on the negatives and be unhappy or you can look for the good in an area. Heck even the wolf spider is a good thing because they eat bugs.

Look for the good, the bad shows up soon enough

Old 09-23-2009, 11:35 AM

508 posts, read 1,024,270 times
I so love seeing your posts TampaStar. They make me smile. Your experience is very encouraging.

By the way... I know you're adventurous at heart....for some added fun in your new location... do you think Tampa's too far to see a launch from Cape Canaveral? Especially in the daytime? It's only 125 miles and I think visibility is easily 3 times that but I just haven't been down there to experience it before. If you look to the east from where you are between 8-9am tomorrow, NASA is shooting off a missle for the defense department. Way cool.
United Launch Alliance

Old 09-23-2009, 06:04 PM

27 posts, read 143,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaraZoteBuccaneer View Post
I so love seeing your posts TampaStar. They make me smile. Your experience is very encouraging.

By the way... I know you're adventurous at heart....for some added fun in your new location... do you think Tampa's too far to see a launch from Cape Canaveral? Especially in the daytime? It's only 125 miles and I think visibility is easily 3 times that but I just haven't been down there to experience it before. If you look to the east from where you are between 8-9am tomorrow, NASA is shooting off a missle for the defense department. Way cool.
United Launch Alliance

You can see the trail, I believe. On a clear day. Sadly I don't really look out for it but I'm pretty sure you can. At the right times, you can also see the international space station lit up in the sky. It's a matter of when it passes through the sun's light while the sky is dark, kind of like the moon but with a much shorter window because it is closer.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:34 PM

5 posts, read 33,330 times
Default how is it going so far in tampa?

how is tampa working out for you?

Old 02-26-2010, 10:43 AM

4,091 posts, read 5,181,318 times
If heat's a problem for you, might I suggest not moving to a state that's known for it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay