U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 02:02 PM

1,730 posts, read 4,234,770 times

Advertisements

I did not move to Apollo Beach. I ended up staying in Valrico and have come to be glad I did althought that has little to do with Apollo Beach. I just woke up one day not too long ago and realized that both Valrico and Brandon have kind of grown on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 07:57 AM

28 posts, read 83,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltznucs View Post
1. There is currently no growth in the area, the mall scheduled to open near Big Bend has been delayed several times and the new hospital hasnt even broke ground. The only developer building homes currently is KB for all intents and purposes.
2. The school system is okay, the schools located in Apollo Beach proper arent bad. Those in Ruskin are a different story.. So far as friendliness goes, thats a crapshoot in that you dont know what your going to get in any new community.
3. I have a two year old and theres a few local parks including Simmons and another located near East Bay High School.
4. Apollo is a quiet town. Theres few eateries, little to do for entertainment, and with the sour economy its likely going to stay that way for a while. I enjoy that about the town, others find it quite dull...
This comment was made in '07, has anything changed since then?

Old 05-03-2011, 08:50 AM

3,237 posts, read 5,419,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
Apollo Beach has and always has had the potential to be a perfect little town but keeps finding ways to shoot itself in the foot.
Yea, except for that huge coal fired power plant you have right there dusting you with toxic exhaust 24/7. Big Bend power plant is one of the top polluters in the state.

Apollo Beach would be an OK place as long as you stay on the west side of US 41. The East side of US 41, you might as well live anywhere else in Florida that DOESNT have a huge power plant next to it.

As far as development goes, this area of the county was one of the ones which was REALLY overbuilt in a very short time and there are tons of vacant homes and foreclosures, especially EAST of 41. Chances of growing are slim to none in the next 5 years.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:30 AM

1 posts, read 3,889 times
Wink Moving to Apollo Beach from Michigan

January 2012..... We are in the process of buying a house in Symphony Isles in Apollo Beach. Getting nervous with all the negative replies. Are the smoke stacks really bad? They seemed kind of far away and the house we're looking at doesn't face them at all. I know there isn't a ton to do there but hoping it will begin to grow in the future. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:35 AM

265 posts, read 884,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine68 View Post
January 2012..... We are in the process of buying a house in Symphony Isles in Apollo Beach. Getting nervous with all the negative replies. Are the smoke stacks really bad? They seemed kind of far away and the house we're looking at doesn't face them at all. I know there isn't a ton to do there but hoping it will begin to grow in the future. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Please disregard Crazynip as the name tells you all you need to know. He/she has no clue what they are talking about as it relates to Apollo Beach/Big Bend.

So, I've been in AB since 07'. There has been no significant growth in AB proper since that time, if anything theres been contraction as several businesses have closed. What few businesses that are there are struggling and outside of a few eateries that have come and gone theres no real glimmer of hope at the moment. With this, the petty crime in the area has risen significantly. Cars being broken into, petty theft, and whatnot have risen sharply in the area as is the case with many areas during the sour economy.

To clarify this a bit, please understand that AB is the 5-6 mile stretch extending down Hwy 41 running from one mile south of Big Bend Rd. until the southernmost end of the Mira Bay community. Anything off Big Bend Rd is actually considered Riverview.

The Riverview side is doing quite well. In the past year we've added some retailers/banks/service industries, a Sam's club, and a few eateries. Booming metropolis?... absolutely not. Coming along?... definitely. From Symphony Isles this would mean you would have to drive a dreadful 4-6 miles..

With regards to the Big Bend power plant, the majority of outspoken opponents are simply uneducated talking heads. The exhaust from the plant is almost entirely steam and Big Bend isn't nearly the eyesore most make it out to be. Like anything else, it simply blends into the background. The prevailing winds for Tampa are westerly which means virtually all the steam blows straight into Riverview/Gibsonton and not Apollo Beach. I've never "smelled" the power plant nor have I ever met someone who has. I'd give the power plant very little consideration if you like the home.

Hope this helps..

Old 01-02-2012, 04:13 PM

2,360 posts, read 4,662,257 times
That power plant is a good place to view the Manatees. At least it used to be. I havent been there in a few years.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:00 PM

3,237 posts, read 5,419,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltznucs View Post
Please disregard Crazynip as the name tells you all you need to know. He/she has no clue what they are talking about as it relates to Apollo Beach/Big Bend.

With regards to the Big Bend power plant, the majority of outspoken opponents are simply uneducated talking heads. The exhaust from the plant is almost entirely steam and Big Bend isn't nearly the eyesore most make it out to be. Like anything else, it simply blends into the background. The prevailing winds for Tampa are westerly which means virtually all the steam blows straight into Riverview/Gibsonton and not Apollo Beach. I've never "smelled" the power plant nor have I ever met someone who has. I'd give the power plant very little consideration if you like the home.
The exhaust coming out of the stacks at Big Bend is direct exhaust from the COAL FIRED power combustion units mixed with steam.

Here is some info on Big Bend, you are fooling yourself if you think it's not a polluter. It all depends on which way the wind is blowing on whether or not you will get showered with toxic fumes...

EPA tightening mercury emissions rules « smokestackfree.com

New Report: Florida Ranks 3rd Nationwide for Most Pollution from Power Plants - Environment Florida (http://www.environmentflorida.org/news-releases/global-warming/global-warming-campaign-news/new-report-florida-ranks-3rd-nationwide-for-most-pollution-from-power-plants - broken link)

Old 01-03-2012, 06:32 AM

265 posts, read 884,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
The exhaust coming out of the stacks at Big Bend is direct exhaust from the COAL FIRED power combustion units mixed with steam.

Here is some info on Big Bend, you are fooling yourself if you think it's not a polluter. It all depends on which way the wind is blowing on whether or not you will get showered with toxic fumes...

EPA tightening mercury emissions rules « smokestackfree.com

New Report: Florida Ranks 3rd Nationwide for Most Pollution from Power Plants - Environment Florida (http://www.environmentflorida.org/news-releases/global-warming/global-warming-campaign-news/new-report-florida-ranks-3rd-nationwide-for-most-pollution-from-power-plants - broken link)
Florida ranks 3rd for most power plant pollution? This is alarming? I'd say it seems pretty logical when one considers that Florida is the 3rd or 4th most populated State in the union depending on which census data you analyze.

So what exactly is your plan to power the millions of people in our city and the State?

Nuclear? I understand there is a reactor in Fukushima, Japan that isnt getting used right now.

Hydroelectric? Which river to you plan on putting a dam on? Which communities do you plan on flooding and which families do you plan on displacing to make it happen?

Let's consider Solar... It's the sunshine state right? Find me a single person or country who's made this concept work at a large scale.

Is Big Bend perfect? No... With fossil fuels its the nature of the game. But, if Big Bend were a legitimate health concern then people would not be allowed to live near it. It is just that simple. Telling a person not to buy in the area because of you're own misguided ideals is ridiculous.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:01 PM

46 posts, read 118,270 times
You guys are all (mostly) nuts! No place on earth is perfect...................no place!

You can pick apart any community in the world and make it sound lke it's a ghetto, a slum, or a haven for crooks.

Is the Apollo Beach area perfect............by no means! However it is a decent place to live and raise a family. And it beats the hell out of ANY area North of Georgia in the winter months!

Grow up.........OR..........move! if it's that bad.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:28 PM

2 posts, read 5,772 times
Have there been any positive changes in Mira Bay? We're thinking of a vacation home/condo in the St Pete area. Is Apollo Beach worth looking at? We're also considering Tierra Verde.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay