U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 07:03 PM

1 posts, read 17,404 times

Advertisements

My fiance and are are planning to move to Apollo Beach, Florida in the summer of 2010. We visited in August of 08.. are currently dealing with KB homes at the moment, still looking at other options as well. We hope to begin building OR buying something already built in 3-6 months. I am a teacher, my finance is an IT systems admin. We woud like to know:

1. How is the Apollo beach area is developing?
2. How is the school system in Hillsborough? Are people generally friendly? When we visted last summer and had a great feel, but we would still like to know from natives and people already living in Tampa.
3. We are a young family (my three-year old daughter so far), Is Apollo beach a good comunity for families?
4. Lastly, any and ALL other details that anyone would be willing to supply me with about Apollo beach, we'd love to hear. We are very excited about our move, and tired of the cold!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 10:46 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,155,140 times
I live in tampa, but I visit apollo beach every once in a while. Its a great family community. I love the carribean waterside feel it has driving though those beautiful nieghborhoods. And the coconut trees you dont see a lot in the tampa area. Theres a great beach on the bay down there that I love to go visit an relax for a while. Its small and has the powerplant as an eyeshore, but if you can get past that, Its a wonderful park to fish, swim, spot dolphins, make a sand castle or just put your feet in the water and read a book. Hit that beach up while your there.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:48 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,155,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcnate View Post
My fiance and are are planning to move to Apollo Beach, Florida in the summer of 2010. We visited in August of 08.. are currently dealing with KB homes at the moment, still looking at other options as well. We hope to begin building OR buying something already built in 3-6 months. I am a teacher, my finance is an IT systems admin. We woud like to know:

2. How is the school system in Hillsborough? Are people generally friendly? When we visted last summer and had a great feel, but we would still like to know from natives and people already living in Tampa.
3. We are a young family (my three-year old daughter so far), Is Apollo beach a good comunity for families?
4. Lastly, any and ALL other details that anyone would be willing to supply me with about Apollo beach, we'd love to hear. We are very excited about our move, and tired of the cold!
I live in tampa, but I visit apollo beach every once in a while. Its a great family community. I love the carribean waterside feel it has driving though those beautiful nieghborhoods. And the coconut trees you dont see a lot in the tampa area. Theres a great beach on the bay down there that I love to go visit an relax for a while. Its small and has the powerplant as an eyeshore, but if you can get past that, Its a wonderful park to fish, swim, spot dolphins, make a sand castle or just put your feet in the water and read a book. Hit that beach up while your there. Hope you enjoy Florida as much as I do.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:58 AM

265 posts, read 883,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcnate View Post

I live in the community your referring to and I'll go on the record and say that theres a reason KB is offering the homes so inexpensively. And that reason is quite simply that the homes are poorly constructed and that KB will fight you tooth and nail when you want things fixed. Next time you speak to KB you might ask them about the house on Slipper Key Drive that was without air conditioning for nearly 3 months. KB got to it "just as quickly as they could." Considering what we get for our money, the CDD is absurd and the community facilities are falling apart. Feel free to private message me about the community..

To answer your questions..
1. There is currently no growth in the area, the mall scheduled to open near Big Bend has been delayed several times and the new hospital hasnt even broke ground. The only developer building homes currently is KB for all intents and purposes.
2. The school system is okay, the schools located in Apollo Beach proper arent bad. Those in Ruskin are a different story.. So far as friendliness goes, thats a crapshoot in that you dont know what your going to get in any new community.
3. I have a two year old and theres a few local parks including Simmons and another located near East Bay High School.
4. Apollo is a quiet town. Theres few eateries, little to do for entertainment, and with the sour economy its likely going to stay that way for a while. I enjoy that about the town, others find it quite dull...

Old 03-05-2009, 07:05 AM

1,730 posts, read 4,234,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltznucs View Post
I live in the community your referring to and I'll go on the record and say that theres a reason KB is offering the homes so inexpensively. And that reason is quite simply that the homes are poorly constructed and that KB will fight you tooth and nail when you want things fixed. Next time you speak to KB you might ask them about the house on Slipper Key Drive that was without air conditioning for nearly 3 months. KB got to it "just as quickly as they could." Considering what we get for our money, the CDD is absurd and the community facilities are falling apart. Feel free to private message me about the community..

To answer your questions..
1. There is currently no growth in the area, the mall scheduled to open near Big Bend has been delayed several times and the new hospital hasnt even broke ground. The only developer building homes currently is KB for all intents and purposes.
2. The school system is okay, the schools located in Apollo Beach proper arent bad. Those in Ruskin are a different story.. So far as friendliness goes, thats a crapshoot in that you dont know what your going to get in any new community.
3. I have a two year old and theres a few local parks including Simmons and another located near East Bay High School.
4. Apollo is a quiet town. Theres few eateries, little to do for entertainment, and with the sour economy its likely going to stay that way for a while. I enjoy that about the town, others find it quite dull...

Sadly I agree. I have had several friends move into the Apollo Beach area over the last ten years and every single one of them could have written your post. Apollo Beach has and always has had the potential to be a perfect little town but keeps finding ways to shoot itself in the foot. I came this close to buying a property there a few years ago but am glad I was too lazy to act quickly and ended up staying in Valrico.

To the OP, if you are still intent on living there I would try and look at some of the older homes. They seem to hold up much better than the newer construction built in the last ten or so years.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:26 AM

250 posts, read 634,522 times
I am moving from Miami but living in lovely Kabul Afghanistan for a few years. I want that small beach town feel but a short distance from Tampa day and nightlife if I want some excitement. Then back to tranquility. I am also moving summer of 2010. Its a hard gage from here but from what I read and hear from friends that live in Tampa its what I am looking for at 42 and single. I would love to flip through the yellow pages from there. I am going to get a good look on vacation this August. I would love to hear more about the area.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:51 AM

3 posts, read 50,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
I live in tampa, but I visit apollo beach every once in a while. Its a great family community. I love the carribean waterside feel it has driving though those beautiful nieghborhoods. And the coconut trees you dont see a lot in the tampa area. Theres a great beach on the bay down there that I love to go visit an relax for a while. Its small and has the powerplant as an eyeshore, but if you can get past that, Its a wonderful park to fish, swim, spot dolphins, make a sand castle or just put your feet in the water and read a book. Hit that beach up while your there.
you CAN swim there??

Old 04-30-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
Sadly I agree. I have had several friends move into the Apollo Beach area over the last ten years and every single one of them could have written your post. Apollo Beach has and always has had the potential to be a perfect little town but keeps finding ways to shoot itself in the foot. I came this close to buying a property there a few years ago but am glad I was too lazy to act quickly and ended up staying in Valrico.

To the OP, if you are still intent on living there I would try and look at some of the older homes. They seem to hold up much better than the newer construction built in the last ten or so years.
Hello Kathleen, did you build in Harbour Isle's? we are building there now and I find the staf very nice and helpful. You know better because you live there, I knocked on a few door's and people told me they were satisified, are you on the board there?? What is falling apaet, so I can go look and say something before I sighn papers, everything has been done just waiting for the final yes in 1 to 3 day's, that kill's me!! Thank's for any info you can send my way!! Michele

Old 04-30-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post

Kathleen do you live there in Harbour isle's?? we are going to be there in 5 mth's, I did go door to door and everyone told me they were happy with there experience, Can you fill me in on what's broken so I can check it out, thanks a bunch

Old 04-30-2009, 12:21 PM

265 posts, read 883,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmbianca View Post
Kathleen do you live there in Harbour isle's?? we are going to be there in 5 mth's, I did go door to door and everyone told me they were happy with there experience, Can you fill me in on what's broken so I can check it out, thanks a bunch
Due to moderator cuts, I'll simply say the few doors you knocked at probably represent a minority of homeowners. KB is trying to make changes, their service guys are getting better, but the quality of construction of the new homes is abysmal. But heck, at the price point their offering what do you expect?

The CDD fee is absurd and the HOA is worthless. Committments from the HOA and CDD to the community are not followed up on and as a result the grounds and lakes are not being maintained properly. In fact, most of the HOA meetings are held in clandestine locations and times and are not announced to the community. On more than one occasion when the HOA learned there was going to be community attendance, they cancelled the meeting! The amenities center is poorly maintained and all of the community resources are being exploited by trespassers. On any given afternoon or weekend, half the people there are not residents or guests of the community. Break-ins, vandalism, and thefts have all been problems.

If your under the notion of having a nicely maintained community enforced by the deed restrictions; let me assure as it relates to Harbour Isles this is false. There are homes with weeds up to your knees on Moon Shell Drive. Coincidentally, those same homes generally have more cars than they do residents, and most dont understand what a driveway is for.

The neighborhood had great potential, KB's pricing and the lack of an effective CDD/HOA have made sure the community will be one very small step above a trailer park for years to come.

I'll simply say if given the chance to do it all again... I wouldnt be there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay