U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 10:24 PM

2 posts, read 10,796 times

Advertisements

I'm 27, from Atlanta, and have just been offered a job in the Tampa Bay area. I have my choice of 3 territories- Brooksville, Lakeland, New Port Richey/Hudson. Planning to visit next week and do some research, but was wondering if anyone had any advice regarding commuting from Tampa to any of these three locations? I'd rather live in a bigger city with more nightlife for someone my age. I think Tampa will be a better fit for me than living within one of the other towns. I'd love to hear advice on estimated commuting times and whether you think it's worth reverse commuting from Tampa. Thanks so much!

Courtney
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 04:00 AM

807 posts, read 2,918,756 times
Any one of those will be at least an hour during rush hour. I-4 (Lakeland), I-75 (Brooksville) or the Suncoast Parkway (either NPR or Brooksville) get very congested as you approach Tampa. So a lot depends on specifically where you are and where you're going.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:42 AM

15,835 posts, read 33,176,251 times
Pick the Lakeland territory and then live near south Tampa - believe me it will be the easiest commute and I believe you will enjoy the territory more. Don't even consider the Hudson area, I don't think you would likt that AT ALL. Brooksville is the boonies and the commute from the north is terrible. The commute to Lakeland from downtown is pretty easy, it's just I-4 to the Polk Parkway, and it is much less than an hour, but will depend on traffic and where you are going. We lived in Lakeland for 1 and a half years, and hubby commuted to downtown Tampa every day (usually about 45 minutes, but a few times quicker, a few times longer)

Good luck!

Old 03-11-2009, 01:46 PM

3 posts, read 19,992 times
I live in Brooksville, but I am currently doing a Master's Program in Atlanta. The commute from Brooksville can be 45mins to an hour depending on where in Brooksville you live. I live close to 41 and the Suncoast Parkway so it is not as bad for me as it is for people who live deep within the city limits. However, the commute from the north can be rough when you get to one of the toll booths with a serious merge in Hillsborough county in the mornings on the Suncoast and when you reach Land O Lakes HS on 41 in Pasco County due to merging of lanes and a traffic light that takes forever to change. However, many people from the Brooksville/Spring Hill area commute to and from Tampa for work.

Brooksville is a relatively quiet place and may seem boonie to some depending on what you're looking for. The housing is relatively cheaper here than in other parts of the Tampa Bay area and you can get new and spacious homes, condos, apartments. It is a very family oriented place-- great for people with young families and older couples. However, if you're not into that you may want to look elsewhere. With that said, the weekend or night commute into Tampa to enjoy the night life is fine.

My bf lives in Odessa which is in Pasco County and very close to the Suncoast Parkway. It is about 30 minutes south of Brooksville and will cut down your commute to Tampa if you choose to live there. It is a relatively up and coming area and has new housing and many new stores. I think it is a great location for someone who will be commuting into Tampa daily because the drive is not too long and you have a lot of newer and more affordable housing options than living in the more congested and older areas of the TB area. Not to mention, if you like beaches, living in one of the coastal counties as opposed to Polk county will make for an easier commute to the water.

The best bet is for you is to check out all the areas you've chosen and get a feel for your wants and needs.

All the best!

Old 03-11-2009, 01:48 PM

326 posts, read 1,205,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by court282 View Post
I'd rather live in a bigger city with more nightlife for someone my age. I think Tampa will be a better fit for me than living within one of the other towns.
Courtney
I'm not sure about the other two towns but Lakeland itself doesn't have much of a nightlife.

You would have to drive to get to a good club.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:56 AM

178 posts, read 358,176 times
Lakeland is larger than either Brooksville or New Port Richey/Hudson and in my opinion much nicer than New Port Richey/Hudson. PLUS it's about midway between Tampa and Orlando not a bad commute to either. With Orlando much of the tourist stuff and nightlife is on the Lakeland (or west) side of the city. That's one reason I like Lakeland if I want to get out of town to a larger city I have my choice of two close by, same with beaches I could go east or west. There are also a lot of lakes, parks and trails in the area if you like nature.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:25 PM

3 posts, read 13,599 times
I live in the New Port Richey area and commuted for three years to Tampa for a job as a caricature artist at Busch Gardens. Commute on average was 45 minutes. My friends husband is local as well and has had a job in Tampa he commutes too. (It's ironic that the new local job I have in NPR, there's a guy from TAMPA commuting HERE). It is a decent drive and the time does add up.

Lakeland might be a good idea, or if you prefer the night life and larger cities, I think you may be happier just living in Tampa or somewhere on the fringes.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:10 AM

713 posts, read 2,482,260 times
Lakeland over the others esp. at your age.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:22 AM

314 posts, read 1,083,843 times
LAKELAND!

Old 09-30-2009, 02:43 PM

32 posts, read 67,928 times
Living in Tampa and commuting to one of these is not going to be bad. Most people commute to Tampa, not from Tampa. Lakeland is a growing area and probably the best for a Territory sales type position (Pharm sales and such). I don't know what your occupation is, might help if you disclosed that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or