Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 04:12 PM

44 posts, read 248,625 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! My husband is considering taking a job in Orlando, but we don't want to live in Orlando we would rather live in Tampa. Can someone tell me how far of a drive it would be for him to go to work in Orlando everyday? would it be to long of a drive? Or would it be best to just go ahead and live in Orlando? Thanx for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 04:28 PM

219 posts, read 588,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautifulbrwnbabydoll View Post
Hello everyone! My husband is considering taking a job in Orlando, but we don't want to live in Orlando we would rather live in Tampa. Can someone tell me how far of a drive it would be for him to go to work in Orlando everyday? would it be to long of a drive? Or would it be best to just go ahead and live in Orlando? Thanx for any info!

I can answer this question for you without difficulty. I made that drive 3 or 4 times a week from Orlando to Tampa for hockey games and I can tell you it takes 1 hrs and 20 minutes from Orlando I4 exit 72 (Universal Studios exit) to St. Pete Times Forum (downtown Tampa). Now you do have to factor in traffic. Most of the time I was traveling around 5:30 in the afternoon and the traffic is a nightmare leaving orlando but once you pass the disney exits there isn't much traffic until you get into Tampa. My wife and I are actually moving back to Florida (from Charlotte, NC) in a few weeks and are looking around the Lakeland area. We, like you, don't want to live in Orlando and Lakeland is a good halfway point.

Your question will vary greatly on two factors...where in Tampa you live and where in Orlando you work. I am very familiar with both areas and would be happy to give you any tips if you like.

Best of Luck

Old 03-13-2009, 04:46 PM

Well he would be working at this company called HD Supply in Orlando. I think it is on W. Church st, but i am not sure...I have been trying to get the full address online but i am having a hard time getting it. I guess once I find out where HD Supply is I can go from there. If you have any idea where it is or what part of town it's in please let me know. Any info would help at this point. Thanks so much!

Old 03-13-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Well he would be working at this company called HD Supply in Orlando. I think it is on W. Church st, but i am not sure...I have been trying to get the full address online but i am having a hard time getting it. I guess once I find out where HD Supply is I can go from there. If you have any idea where it is or what part of town it's in please let me know. Any info would help at this point. Thanks so much!

3881 Old Winter Garden Rd, Orlando, FL.

That is right around the I4 and the 408 interchanged. It is a very congested area and getting in and out of there and then driving to Tampa everyday is really going to be a strecth. I would recommend looking into living in another area. Winter Garden, Ocoee may fit for you. We used to live in an area called Waterford Lakes. It is right off the 408 so it wouldn't be bad access to where he will work. It's a odd town. If you get off at a exit and turn left...crap....turn right....nice area. We have no plans on living there again, it just isn't for us. But all of our closest friends live and love it there.

I may be able to point you in a little better direction if you let me know are you planning to rent or buy and what price range? Kids? Nightlife??

Old 03-13-2009, 05:45 PM

Well looks like i will be stuck in Orlando...lol I have two kids ages 5 and 6. And we currently live in sacramento ca. We rent a 3 bedroom house for 1200 a month. I was hoping that florida might be cheaper than cali. I just want to live in a safe neighborhood with a decent school for the kids. And i don't do the nightlife thing!

Old 03-13-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Well looks like i will be stuck in Orlando...lol I have two kids ages 5 and 6. And we currently live in sacramento ca. We rent a 3 bedroom house for 1200 a month. I was hoping that florida might be cheaper than cali. I just want to live in a safe neighborhood with a decent school for the kids. And i don't do the nightlife thing!

You can find prices in Orlando and outskirts in that price range. Look into Oviedo, Winter Springs, Altamonte Springs area. It's a decent commute into where he will be working yet away from the downtown Orlando area. Also look at Celebration. It is very Stepford wife (we love it there! ha). They filmed "The Truman Story" there. VERY safe and close to the interstates for easy access. If I were forced to move back to Orlando the Celebration and surrounding areas would be where we would go! Yeah...now that I think about it...I love Celebration area. Lots of townhomes and houses there for rent. I have a buddy that lives in there and works in real estate. I will buzz him to see if I can find some rental links for you guys.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docbest74 View Post
You can find prices in Orlando and outskirts in that price range. Look into Oviedo, Winter Springs, Altamonte Springs area. It's a decent commute into where he will be working yet away from the downtown Orlando area. Also look at Celebration. It is very Stepford wife (we love it there! ha). They filmed "The Truman Story" there. VERY safe and close to the interstates for easy access. If I were forced to move back to Orlando the Celebration and surrounding areas would be where we would go! Yeah...now that I think about it...I love Celebration area. Lots of townhomes and houses there for rent. I have a buddy that lives in there and works in real estate. I will buzz him to see if I can find some rental links for you guys.

Thanks so much, the links would help out a lot!

Old 03-14-2009, 09:51 AM

I checked with my buddy and he said that he doesn't deal with any properties in Celebration but he did tell me that on average and rental townhouse or condo in the 3 bedroom size runs around 1300 a month. He said the houses usually run around 1500 and up.

I would try google and just type in homes for rent in celebration florida and see if you find anything that may be to your liking.

Anymore questions on Orlando feel free to ask! Best of luck.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:54 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,145,925 times
Quote:
I think you should look into southwest Orlando (Dr Phillips, Windermere, Winter Garden). I find this area to be nicer than equivalent areas in Tampa. The only reason to pick Tampa over Orlando really is for the beaches.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:03 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
Quote:
The only reason to pick Tampa over Orlando really is for the beaches.
Heh. There is a lot more to it than that in my opinion.

However I won't get into it because I would not recommend a commute across I-4. Every once in a while, ok. Every day? No. But I hate driving, and that stretch of I-4 in particular. Except at about 3am - then it's just beautiful.

If I was in your situation I would live in or near Orlando. Anything you'd want to do in Tampa is an easy day trip away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay