Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2009, 09:03 PM

14 posts, read 54,232 times

Advertisements

looking for friends for my son that has high fun, Asperger syndrome, we are new in the Tampa area, he is 19-20, is a genius at music, and playing music. nice guy, just shy and does not know where to meet friends.
thanks for any advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 07:13 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,653,627 times
I just did a search on www.meetup.com. I searched for asperger's. It came up with several groups. One being an adult with aspergers group. It is meant for people 16 + to meet and socialize. Several years ago I had questions on whether or not my daughter had aspergers. It was suggested to check out USF. They have a specific area connected with USF medical that they evaluate for aspergers. I know he is already diagnosed, but after looking over their website, I found support groups. I wish I could remember what the name of the organization. Maybe find out if they have any connections to anything he can get involved with. If you want me to find out the name of this organization, let me know.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:08 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,653,627 times
I just checked the USF program. Google CARD and USF. CARD stands for Center for Autism and Related Disabilities. Once you are in the website, you can choose options on the left (Resources, Links, etc). One of them lists support groups. They will link you to a website that has a list of support groups depending on which county you live in. I choose Hillsborough and found a support group for men 18 +. They charge $25 per session. They discuss job related issues, social skills, etc. They meet every other Thursday from 7 to 8 pm. This may be a good source to find other things.

Good luck.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:34 PM

1 posts, read 4,145 times
CHEER! Mental Health & Relationship Counseling1206 Mitchell St. Brandon, Fl. 33511(813) 620-4900, (813) 381-7551 CHEER! is excited to announce that we have outgrown our old office & have moved into our own house with plenty of space, including an outdoors play area for children and an outdoors therapy room surrounded by Jasmine flowers.This Month’s Announcement!SUMMER CAMP FOR CHILDREN WITH SOCIAL DISABILITIES SPECIAL NEEDS SUMMER CAMP Begins June 23Does your child have problems with ADHD, LD, Delayed Development, Communication Disorder, or Autistic Spectrum Disorder that prevents him from attending summer camp? Sign up now for summer camp. This camp is designed by our child psychologist, Dr. Jeffrey Goidel, to help children with communication and social interaction problems. Dr. Goidel has worked with special needs children over the past 20 years. He specializes in helping children with ADHD, learning problems, behavior problems, hypersensitivity, autism, and communication disorders. Camp will meet for 3 hours, 2 mornings a week (Tuesday and Wednesday 9-12). Optional individual therapy will be available in the afternoons. This camp will provide children who couldn't otherwise attend camp (due to social, behavioral, or communication problems) the opportunity to have fun and make friends while learning new social and communication skills in an accepting environment. Camp will include social interaction therapy, anger management, communication practice, arts & crafts, music, snacks, theatre, water play, sensory integration, Sign Language, puppy day and more! Ratio 1 adult to 2 children. Staff has CPR & First Aid training. Call now to reserve a place. Enrollment is limited to ten campers per session. – BCBS & ASO funding accepted. Cost without insurance is $200 for two weeks pd in advance.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,556 times
how do I get my cousin who is 62 years of age diagnosed. He lives in the Brandon tampa area.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:29 PM

210 posts, read 382,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenesblacker View Post
how do I get my cousin who is 62 years of age diagnosed. He lives in the Brandon tampa area.
I did this a few years ago in a different state for a 50 yr old relative. Typically you need an evaluation from a neuropsychologist. It can cost upwards of $1000 because it's a 4-5 hour evaluation.

I assume FL has a department of developmental disabilities, and this may be a good place to start for advice--but be prepared that you may need to show that the disability is from a young age. I was able to get transcripts from high school that had IQ and class grades that supported this.

Good Luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: