Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2009, 05:42 PM

3 posts, read 9,617 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Tampa in a few months and have 4 kids ages 8, 6, 4, 2. My husband will be working in temple terrace and we are not too fond of traffic. I have searched this forum and read many of the posts regarding new tampa, lutz, odessa, valrico, brandon, westchase and south tampa. We want a family friendly place (suburban) but we need good schools as private school is not an option with 4 kids. can anyone advise on the difference between south tampa (which we didn't really care for the trendy feel) and north tampa? seems like top elementary schools are mckitrick, dale mabry, roosevelt, and clark, can anyone tell me about middle or high schools besides plant being the best. was wondering if anyone had any info on steinbrenner high. also if someone can tell us how long it takes to get to temple terrace from lutz assuming normal commute times.
any info you can give would be appreciated.
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 06:47 PM

14 posts, read 48,743 times
South Tampa does have excellent schools; however it's not my favorite part of Tampa to raise a family and it's a bit if a hike to commute to Temple Terrace. However, if schools are your number one requirement move to the Plant area schools in South Tampa (not Plant City). Real estate is pricey in south Tampa within the good schools, and homes to fit a large family are few. South Tampa as is most of West Tampa are all low lying areas. You will have to evacuate for hurricanes which is very inconvenient for a large family with small children.South Tampa living is a lifestyle. North Tampa is slower paced. I love South Tampa and the lifestyle but while raising a family I prefer North Tampa. Tampa Palms has a great Elementary school and middle school, the high school is not so good. Tampa Palms is nearby to Temple Terrace. I've seen some good real estate deals in Tampa Palms and even more in New Tampa. New Tampa schools are ok (not great) but not a bad commute to Temple Terrace. West Tampa, Brandon, Valrico, South Tampa are far commutes and traffic. Westchase is in West Tampa. It's a nice area with good schools. There are a lot of communites in that area off of Race Track Road. However, the commute to Temple Terrace would be long. Parts of Lutz have good schools, look in the Van Dyke Road and Lake Lutz Fern Road areas. Heritage Harbor has large homes and some good real estate deals with good schools. I think it is zoned for Sickels High School which is a good high school. Not sure how long of a commute to TT. Avoid Leto High School.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:21 PM

3 posts, read 9,617 times
thanks zevzen for your information. do you have to go bruce b downs in order to get to temple terrace or is there a cut through somewhere else. we came in december to look at tampa and looked at a few homes in tampa palms, but I hear bruce b downs in a nightmare

Old 03-18-2009, 07:57 PM

14 posts, read 48,743 times
Morris Bridge Road is an alternate route to Temple Terrace. I'm not sure it is quicker. There is a road near Oak Ramble apartments (forgot the name) which will take you to Fletcher Ave that use to save me time going to Temple Terrace.

Tampa traffic is bad before and after business hours, generally 7 - 9 a.m and 4 - 7 p.m. Compared to where I use to live, Tampa traffic is not bad. You have alternate routes most of the time and there are times, if you have a choice you can avoid traffic by changing your drive time. Where I use to live there were few alternate routes and we had traffic 24 hours a day.

I will say the Bruce B. Downs corridor offers few alternate routes. However, Temple Terrace is a closer commute than the other choices with good schools and affordable housing for large families.

Temple Terrace around the golf course and river is very nice. I know one of the elemetary schools is good. I don't know about the other schools.

Another option to consider is to rent for awhile until you get your bearings and figure out where you want to set your roots, if you can. The market is expected to drop another 19% in the next 12 months. There are a lot of renting options out there.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:37 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,653,627 times
I live in Tampa Palms. I have taken my daughter to singing lessons in Temple Terrace (56 and Busch/Bullard). It only took me 15 minutes during evening rush hour. I also drive my kids to a charter school in Lutz. I drive down Bruce B. Downs at 7:50 and arrive at the school by 8:00. Living in Tampa Palms, I avoid much of the nightmarish part of Bruce B. Downs. If there is an accident, B.B.D can be a complete stand still. The housing market is so depressed, you can pretty much decide where you want to live. I like living in Tampa Palms. It is family oriented, good schools, and near to many things like grocery store, restaurants, movie, parks, etc. I do, however, wish we lived in Seven Oaks (Wesley Chapel, Pasco County). Not sure about the schools up there and it would be a longer commute to Temple Terrace. Though, if you get on to I-75, it probably would not take you very long to get to Temple Terrace. Housing and taxes are a little cheaper.

The high school (Freedom) has done a dramatic turn around with a new principal who has taken charge and made a lot of changes. He is more approachable than the last principal, Everyone, even the teachers were afraid of him. The atmosphere is better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay