U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2009, 04:01 PM

3 posts, read 10,892 times

Advertisements

Ok, I am looking at areas surrounding Tampa to Sarasota to relocate to, and the only question I have about Clearwater is this: Is the scientology presence overwhelming? I have read a lot about scientology and it honestly freaks me out and I don't really want to live in a place that is "run" by that freaky religion. Opinions? Experiences?

Oh, and please no scientologists trying to defend the religion. Not the conversation I am looking for....
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 04:24 PM

338 posts, read 905,039 times
Clearwater is not over run with scientologists but the downtown area is their headquarters. If you can stay away from the area north of the court house on Fort Harrison, you probably won't even know they are there. But if you drive north on Fort Harrison you can spot them a mile away. In my opinion Clearwater ruined it's chances of having a thriving downtown when they allowed it to be taken over by the scientologists. Such a shame,with the bay views ,Coachman Park, access to the beach it could have rivaled the best of Floridas cities.Good luck with your relocation search

Old 03-18-2009, 07:37 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,220,486 times
I live in Tampa and have only experienced one person in the 4 years I have lived here.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:01 AM

2,637 posts, read 11,510,648 times
It's not about running into low-level Scientologists on the street. They are creepy with their ten mile stares, but mostly harmless so long as you stay under their radar. But the Co$ in Clearwater has far too much power for my tastes, they own most of downtown at this point. I personally would not consider living within the city of Clearwater for this reason. I don't want my interests as a citizen subverted to the interests of the cult.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:43 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,947,345 times
I never felt thier presence was overwhelming. You see a lot of them downtown near thier HQ's at Fort Harrison, but they pretty much go about thier business and are not a menace or anything like that. They own properties scattered throughout Clearwater and tend to be to themselves.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:04 AM

2 posts, read 4,440 times
I have lived in Clearwater since 1990. I consider Scientology's presence in Clearwater the best thing that could have happened to it. The downtown area has a very low crime rate, and it has become beautiful, with restoration of motels, a nursing hospital, the bank,the Fort Harrison hotel, and numerous business. It has a look of prosperity. People flock to the downtown area for the people's market on Saturday morning. Ruth Eckerd Hall people bought the old movie theater, renovated it, and put on first-rate events there. And the abominable Clearwater Sun that shut down in the late 1980's now has a new owner who plans to give the city its own newspaper again. On top of all that, the Scientologists I have noticed on the downtown streets wear uniforms and go about their affairs quickly and with a friendly demeanor. The work for the organization. But as for other Scientologists in the area, they look like you and me and so you cannot distinguish between them and non-scientologists by looking at them. I have found those I have met to seem universally friendls, people of good will with a ready smile and good sense of humor.

No, Clearwater has not been taken over by Scientologists, but you wouldn't know if it had. If you like living in a fun, safe, beautiful city with gorgeous views of the gulf coast and beach access, Clearwater is the place to live.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:13 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,466,093 times
Be aware that Clearwater is a large place, very spread-out. So there are many areas to the north and east that aren't near downtown at all. There seem to be lots of nice areas to live. I live in the winter in Dunedin, and I feel like the downtown vibe is quite creepy, but haven't seen Scientology influence elsewhere, with the exception of an attempted takeover of a charter school up in Dunedin.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:44 AM

792 posts, read 2,090,280 times
The only time you ever see any is if you drive to downtown clearwater and even then, they are not that numerous.

There are lots of people in clearwater. Scientologists are only a small fraction.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:56 PM

921 posts, read 2,247,380 times
Default Downtown Clwr

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
The only time you ever see any is if you drive to downtown clearwater and even then, they are not that numerous.

There are lots of people in clearwater. Scientologists are only a small fraction.
I drove through Downtown Clearwater, North on North Fort Harrison for many years, starting in the late 1970s. Until the Scientologists moved in, the place was super nasty and mostly boarded up. They did a great job cleaning and rebuilding IMO. Today, and for the past many years, that is all you see downtown. I disagree completely with the above statement from stpeteguy.
They don't bother anyone that I know of. They do walk around in a hurry, like ants.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:44 PM

146 posts, read 278,804 times
Default Clearwater Scientology question.

Clearwater is quite spread out. IT is only the downtwon are that predominatly Scientolgy. The northern section up by Countryside is pretty nice and close to shopping and restaurants. Go a little further north or south and its quite nice too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay