U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2009, 08:24 AM

1 posts, read 3,349 times

Advertisements

Hey all! I am going on vacation with my family (myself (22yo), sister, and parents). We are staying the Marriott Renaissance Hotel right by the airport and I'm definitely excited to see a new city, but I am little hesistant about the safety/traffic. I've heard some bad things about both and was wondering if someone could tell me if it's dangerous and what the tourist scene is like?

Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 09:58 AM

158 posts, read 467,374 times
No it's not dangerous. I assume from your screen name that you're from Maryland/UMCP? The VERY worst areas in the entire Tampa Bay area are no worse than College Park/Hyattsville and certainly NOTHING like Capital Heights or SE D.C. for that matter. Very safe for tourists. Traffic isn't even close to the traffic up north but there are a lot of drivers from different areas and a lot of tourists that don't know where they're going so do drive carefully. Drivers can be pretty aggressive here.

The Marriott Renaissance at International Mall is very nice as is the mall. As far as what to see, we have some of the best beaches in North America here so I'd definitely recommend visiting the beaches(Ft. DeSoto Park, Clearwater Beach, Sand Key Beach, St. Pete Beach/Pass-e-Grille, and Siesta Key Beach down in Sarasota). Downtown St. Pete has a nice walkable waterfront and the Baywalk complex. Old Hyde Park in Tampa is a nice little village to visit and there are some nice restaurants and pubs on or around South Howard Ave, also take a drive through the neighborhoods and definitely up/down Bayshore Blvd(big homes along the bay and the world's longest continuous sidewalk). Also visit Channelside and/or Ybor City in Tampa for dinner or drinks. Busch Gardens(African Safari theme as opposed to Williamsburg's European theme) has a lot of great rollercoasters and animal attractions. The Tarpon Springs Sponge Docks is a cool little Greek fishing village that might be worth checking out. John's Pass Village in Madeira Beach has a lot of shops and restaurants along a small boardwalk.

There are a lot of events and festivals this time of year. Check out both weekend papers, Creative Loafing and TBT(or their websites), that you can find at most newspaper stands.

But again the area is not dangerous, at least certainly not as dangerous as any of the major cities in the northeast or in even Florida for that matter. It is a fairly big city so of course, always be smart and just follow your instincts, just like in any city/area.

Last edited by DC2Tampa; 03-19-2009 at 10:26 AM..

Old 03-19-2009, 10:16 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,307,128 times
I agree with a lot of what was said here.
International area is nice. Tampa is not that bad-it's a metro area, no city has no crime-but this area isn't as bad as others. Tampa is actually pretty nice, and as one of our fellow members posted on here yesterday-it's ranked #5 in the country. Traffic is common in any metro area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2Tampa View Post
No it's not dangerous. I assume from your screen name that you're from Maryland/UMCP? The VERY worst areas in the entire Tampa Bay area are no worse than College Park/Hyattsville and certainly NOTHING like Capital Heights or SE D.C. for that matter. Very safe for tourists. Traffic isn't even close to the traffic up north but there are a lot of drivers from different areas and a lot of tourists that don't know where they're going so do drive carefully. Drivers can be pretty aggressive here.

The Marriott Renaissance at International Mall is very nice as is the mall. As far as what to see, we have some of the best beaches in the North America here so I'd definitely recommend visiting the beaches(Ft. DeSoto Park, Clearwater Beach, Sand Key Beach, St. Pete Beach/Pass-e-Grille, and Siesta Key Beach down in Sarasota). Downtown St. Pete has a nice walkable waterfront and the Baywalk complex. Old Hyde Park in Tampa is a nice little village to visit and has a variety of restaurants and pubs on South Howard Ave. Also visit Channelside and/or Ybor City in Tampa for dinner or drinks. Busch Gardens has a lot of great rollercoasters and animal exhibits. The Tarpon Springs Sponge Docks is a cool little Greek fishing village that might be worth checking out. John's Pass Village in Madeira Beach has a lot of shops and restaurants along a small boardwalk.

There are a lot of events and festivals this time of year. Check out both weekend papers, Creative Loafing and TBT(or their websites), that you can find at most newspaper stands.

But again the area is not dangerous, at least certainly not as dangerous as any of the major cities in the northeast or in even Florida for that matter. It is a fairly big city so of course, always be smart and just follow your instincts, just like in any city/area.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:34 PM

27,798 posts, read 28,311,416 times
Taking a family vacation to Tampa - is it dangerous? ..................

don't get too close to the alligators

Last edited by Keeper; 03-19-2009 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: removed img that was advertising

Old 03-31-2009, 08:39 PM

14 posts, read 43,245 times
Most of Tampa is safe. However, if you visit Ybor City you should not walk alone at night and park in well lit areas. East Tampa is the less safe area. Ybor City is the only tourist attraction in East Tampa. Brandon and areas are East of Tampa but are safe areas. However, crime can happen anywhere even in the nicest of areas. But, generally Tampa is safe if you take the same precautions as you would anywhere. Tampa airport is in a nice part of town. Great shopping and dining nearby at the International Mall. You can easily get to the Courtney Campbell Causeway to get to Clearwater Beach.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:14 PM

154 posts, read 494,389 times
Please read this forum: Tampa is extremely dangerous. If you are not hit by teenage drivers, Valrico gangs, confederate flag holders, herds of unemployed, HOA rules enforcers, Scientology members, redneck conspirators..... then you might get addicted and never want to leave....

Old 04-02-2009, 07:26 PM

203 posts, read 893,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Taking a family vacation to Tampa - is it dangerous? ..................

don't get too close to the alligators

HAHA! I agree! The alligators are much worse than the people here!
I would agree not to walk around alone at night, but during the day I would not worry about Tampa!

Old 04-03-2009, 12:48 AM

11,501 posts, read 14,030,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaOrNotTampa View Post
Please read this forum: Tampa is extremely dangerous. If you are not hit by teenage drivers, Valrico gangs, confederate flag holders, herds of unemployed, HOA rules enforcers, Scientology members, redneck conspirators..... then you might get addicted and never want to leave....
And don't forget the sun, it can be dangerous.

With the heat and humidity and all those northern drivers who are too old to drive I wouldn't leave the hotel if I were you.

Why on earth would you even go on a vacation if you believe it is dangerous?

Millions come to the Tampa area for vacation ever year including me and never one time had any problems.

If you see a pickup truck with Georgia license plates with a confederate flag run for your life!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay