Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 11:22 PM

3 posts, read 16,254 times

Advertisements

We are a family that is looking to spend some vacation time in Florida this summer. None of us have ever been and we live across the country in the pacific NW. I have always wanted to visit Florida. I am so excited.

I've been researching like crazy - I finally have narrowed down the whole state to this area, and really like what I see so far. From my understanding, the length of the beach area from Clearwater down to St. Pete Beach is kind of one and the same... sort of? I am looking at renting a condo along the beach and I love that we can trolley along there to explore different beaches and state parks. We are a nature loving family, a little earthy, into fun things to do, family friendly, but not super touristy. We are looking to spend time in the sand, ocean, and also would love an old Florida feel to our vacation - thinking beach bungalows, palm trees, funky shops, good food, and exploring the area by hiking or maybe kayaking. Also planning on visiting Tampa a bit for aquarium or zoo. One of my kids REALLY wants to see an alligator.

We're not really looking for fishing, boat/bay/marina type stuff.

I'm trying to get a feel for each of these little communities along the beach. What kind of vibe does each one have - like I mentioned, we are young 30's, with young kids - can anyone recommend a great beach area for us? What I am looking at is Clearwater Beach, St. Pete Beach, Redington Beach, Madeira Beach, Treasure Island Beach.... which of these do you think would be a good fit? I also was looking at something called Pass-a Grille, which seemed really cool too.

Thanks so much if anyone can offer some suggestions or help me get a feel for what these areas are like. It is hard to research it all on google earth!

Last edited by lillymom; 03-23-2009 at 11:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 06:26 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,378,770 times
For what you describe above, Pass-a-Grille would fit the bill best in the Tampa Bay area. The least touristy with b&b's, residential homes, a very nice and quaint "village" and beatiful beaches at the tip of st pete beach, no high rise condos or hotels. Quaint shops and restaurants in the main street area. Its closest to Fort DeSoto Park, which is a HUGE park...kayaking, biking, hiking, snorkeling, BEACH, all natural Florida, and an old historic fort to explore, boat rides to Egmont Key just off the coast.

While in the area, take a drive to Canoe Escape on Fowler Avenue in Tampa(near I-75), and take a great lazy canoe or kayak down the Hillsborough River..Florida nature at its best, LOTS of wildlife..google Canoe Escape for more info.

Besides the Aquarium and Lowry Park Zoo, there is also Big Cat Rescue in Tampa, a very interesting habitat of wild lions and tigers that have been rescued and cared for, personal tours are given.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:03 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,655,241 times
Oh boy! You are going to have fun! There is so much fun "nature" oriented stuff. I agree with Tampaguy03. Canoe escape is a fun thing to do. I did that twice with my girls. Call ahead to make reservations. If your kids are little, you just need one canoe. Bring a lunch, because it takes about 2 to 3 hours.

I also agree on Ft. DeSoto Beach. You can rent the bikes and kayaks at Ft. DeSoto, but bring your own snorkeling stuff. At Clearwater, it is very crowded and difficult to find parking. Go early if you plan on going. In the summer, Clearwater has a little water slide area, but do go early. Ther are some nice restaurants in Clearwater. Aquarium and Lowry Park Zoo is fun. Lowry Park Zoo has a nice little boat tour (you just might see an alligator). Big Cat Rescue may be for older kids, though I would call ahead. Near Big Cat Rescue is a horseback riding place. I don't know how old your kids are, but you can go horseback riding as young as 6 years. They have a little petting zoo there too.

For hiking, you can go to Lettuce Lake Park. You can hike around a wooden deck path. They also have a nice playground there. There is a really nice nature center at Brooker Creek Preserve. Check out there website: Friends of Brooker Creek Preserve Home Page. They have a very nice center for the kids to check things out. I believe they even have binoculars to borrow while you are hiking. Saturdays they have early (9 am) family hikes. Not sure they have them in the summer since it is very hot and very humid then.

Try to plan your day around the rain storms that happen around 3:00 to 4:00. We get some wicked thunderstorms around that time of day.

Busch Gardens is nice too. I know it is touristy, but they have an area where you can feed the ducks, see the alligators (though you will see them on the canoe trip), bird shows, dancing shows, etc.

If you son wants to see alligators, you may see them sunning themselves in any pond that you drive by. They typically don't bother you, unless you bother them, unless it is mating season, which is now.

My kids go to a nature centered charter school. They have gone on many field trips to various nature themed places. If you want, I can ask them which field trip they enjoyed and let you know.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:41 AM

17 posts, read 63,226 times
We like driving down to Sarasota and going to Siesta Key, Turtle Beach and Nokomis Beach.... There's so much to do down there, enjoy! so jealous

Old 03-24-2009, 09:53 AM

3 posts, read 16,254 times
Thanks so much for the suggestions! I kind of was getting the sense that Clearwater was really crowded, which I guess isn't a surprise - it looks beautiful. We can still make it work. I took a look at the canoe escape, which looks awesome. We love outdoorsy stuff and have our share of local rivers, but they're just full of fish. I can't believe you can canoe right past alligators?!

Fort Desoto, we'll definitely be going there - sounds perfect. Snorkeling would be fun.

Annaegel, that would be so great - thanks!

They will be 6 and 7, so they are young, but old enough to appreciate adventure and they love seeing and experiencing new things. Especially where we are from, Florida will be a completely different world.

Thanks again for all the info.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:23 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,305,617 times
Do not miss Ana Maria Island. A must see place and one of the best beaches in the world!

Siesta Key and Ana Maria Island are two you cannot miss.

There is a post here on city data I was reading that had a list of things to do in Florida. If I find it I will link it here. Someone else may know what it was and post it also.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:47 PM
Nav

346 posts, read 1,491,237 times
Ana Maria Island has a wonderful city pier where you can go out on and sit and watch the sunset. At the end of the pier, you will find a little seafood restaurant which is popular with the locals. People are always fishing on the pier and they will usually take the time to show the kids what they caught. Its a very family friendly place. The public beach next to the pier is one of the only places in the area where you can sit in the shade of an Australian Pine tree and be only 20 feet from the waters edge. It is not uncommon to see the dolphins swimming 100ft off shore. They live in the area and are there just about every day. Its a great little beach town tucked away from the crowds.

Nav

Old 03-24-2009, 03:36 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
I second Pass-a-grille. It isn't as crowded as Clearwater or St. Pete at the beach. If you are looking for quaint that is the place.

I will recommend going to Caladesi Island on the Ferry, voted the #1 beach in 2008
Caladesi Island State Park Beaches - Photos, reviews, and information.

Also St. John's Pass has a lot of shops and restaurants.
JohnsPass - Official Portal to John's Pass in Florida

Tarpon Springs is also a fun place. You can take a boat trip with the sponge divers plus they have great greek food plus wonderful pastries
Tarpon Springs Florida|Sponge Docks|Tarpon Springs Greek Restaurants|Epiphany|Tampa Bay|Shopping

Old 03-24-2009, 08:10 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,655,241 times
I asked my kids what field trips they enjoyed. They mentioned Big Cat's. There are other things they enjoyed, but it was more educational and arranged by the school, and not really open to the general public.

I see people have mentioned Anna Maria Island. It is one of my personal favorites. I have brought out of state guests there and they love it. We like to go to the the end of the island. There is a nice restaurant (Sandbar) that is right on the beach. The restaurant also has a shower that patrons could use. It is nice to stay for dinner and watch the sunset. Be sure, that when you decide to go to the beach, that there is no red tide in bloom for the beach you want to head out to. It is a drag to go out and see and smell all the dead fish. Seista Key has the softest, like baby powder sand and does not get too hot to walk on, but go during the week, because the weekends are crowded and parking in limited.

I know some people like to swim in the lakes, but that makes me nervous with snakes and alligators in there too. Maybe it is because I grew up in NYC.

Weeki wachee is another place you may want to consider. They have the mermaid shows and water slides in the spring. The water is always 72 (I think) degrees. In the HOT summer, it is very refreshing. They also have scuba diving, if you or your husband wants to do that.

You can check out some of the hillsborough county state parks. They may have fun activities. Also, check out Pinellas County parks. Just google them and you will find the various state parks nearby.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:28 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
You can also go see the Manatees
The Florida Manatee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay