Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 03:16 PM

403 posts, read 1,580,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfbaby View Post
I am a Tampa native, and Imoved to Miami a year ago. Just wanted to give some advice to anyone thinking on doing the same "DON'T"! These are the rudest people on the planet! anyway Miami isn't even part of America ! It has been taken over by immagrants who are racist towards americans, hard to believe, but true.
Why would you move to Miami from Tampa when Miami is more expensive and croweded! That makes no sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 12:44 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,746,949 times
Tampa is waaaaaaaay better. Im not saying because of ethnicity, but because, well just look around down there. Its a city stuck in the 70s as far as architecture goes. Very tackey plus very ghetto. and the people there are extremley rude and smug.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:16 PM

3 posts, read 21,649 times
I was about to move to Miami from NJ in 2007 and realized it wasn't as glitzy and and glamorous as it is depicted on TV in the normal, middle class areas. Like someone said previously...it is only good for the extremely wealthy who can afford to live away from the grit and crime. I also felt isolated ethnically in Miami. I did not feel that it was an inclusive city and has a lot more segregation than other major cities. With that said, I chose to move to the Tampa Bay area where my family lives. I think it's great and diversity is seen as a positive and not a negative. the TB area is definitely a better area to live in Florida and it is a shame that people outside of the Florida don't know much about what it has to offer.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:57 PM

158 posts, read 503,873 times
I've lived in Miami. Miami does suffer from severe social stratification. I can't blame the immigrants for wanting to be here, the majority of which are good hard working people and their kids do assimilate into American culture(for good or bad). I do blame the self-serving and corrupt banana republic politicians in Miami-Dade that don't do anything to help improve the status of the middle class or help bolster, educate and assimilate the immigrant working class to help them get out of poverty. They'd rather build a multi-million dollar stadium for the Marlins and their 600 fans.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:43 AM

326 posts, read 1,169,667 times
I don't think anybody should move from Tampa to Miami their in for a culture shock. Most immagrants don't want to move because they don't want to learn the language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Tampa is waaaaaaaay better. Im not saying because of ethnicity, but because, well just look around down there. Its a city stuck in the 70s as far as architecture goes. Very tackey plus very ghetto. and the people there are extremley rude and smug.
As for the architecture being stuck in the 70's thats when Miami grew alot you want them to rebuild all the buildings to keep up with the times. They have some architecture that you'll never see in the U.S. Like Coral Gables with the mediteranean look very beautiful. Opa-Locka has the most Moorish (Arabian) architecture in the Western Hemisphere and city hall looks like Aladdins Palace. I wouldn't recomend visiting though for obvious reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2Tampa View Post
I've lived in Miami. Miami does suffer from severe social stratification. I can't blame the immigrants for wanting to be here, the majority of which are good hard working people and their kids do assimilate into American culture(for good or bad). I do blame the self-serving and corrupt banana republic politicians in Miami-Dade that don't do anything to help improve the status of the middle class or help bolster, educate and assimilate the immigrant working class to help them get out of poverty. They'd rather build a multi-million dollar stadium for the Marlins and their 600 fans.
I have never seen so much corruption in the Government then in Miami. I think they should build a stadium for the Marlins being that they've already won two championships and set records for attendance when they were in the playoffs. So they have plenty of fans it's just that they play in a football stadium twenty miles outside the city doesn't help.

How about that tunnel they wanna build for traffic into the Port of Miami thats a waste of money!

Old 06-29-2009, 09:22 AM

43 posts, read 89,493 times
Well, I just came back to UK from Florida. Been there for 1 month. Spent a week in Orlando, 2 weeks in Clearwater/Tampa and week in Miami.

Travelled ALL OVER Florida and what can I say - Miami is definately the worst city in Florida. First of all its overrated. Wanted to compare it to what they show in the movies, and the only true resemblance is Bad Boys, where you can see how rich live and how poor (Haitians for example) live.

Got off the freeway to get some gas, and went into a wrong neighbourhood. At EVERY intersection people (mainly blacks from Caribbean) tried to sell us water. Girls were squezing their b-obies against the car window, which we did not really mind . Then some tramps were asking us for change.

Then we got to a street which was COMPLETELY flooded, and we had to drive through a foot deep water. Next street had 4 cop cars and 2 latinos were trying to fight the cops while shouting in a broken English "Police Brutality"... I guess these were the only 2 words they knew.

In the first day in MIAMI we almost had 8 crashes. Stupid latinos (I guess cubans being all macho) we pulling out of the side roads, without looking, jumping on red, cutting us up, beeping constantly (I am not saying all latino are stupid, but the ones we have met were ALL rude and arrogant)... During our stay in Miami we must have had about 20 near misses, all because people don't obey the road rules. But still managed to get a puncture and had to get our tyre repaired.

1 puncture in a month and it happened in MIAMI.

The beach is not as nice as they show it on TV, Clearwater beach is much nicer - cleaner and the water is warmer. And you don't see any abandoned buildings either.

Nightlife in Miami is ok, but not as good as I expected. When you come from Europe, you expect it to be OUTSTANDING, but in reality clubs in Miami are no better (but more expensive) than the ones in Europe.

So unless you got 10 million bucks and live in a nice gated community, living in Miami is pointless. I doubt I'll even go there again as a tourist.

People are VERY RUDE, no matter where you go, even staff in the hotel. The only places where they can be ok are expensive restaurants.

At least I can say about Miami "Yea, been there, done that"

I always thought America was a RACIST country - towards non - whites, but Miami has a reverse racism. I was supprised we did not get shot just for being white.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:19 PM

Location: I will be escaping Suck City and landing in Tampa in December
346 posts, read 910,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2Tampa View Post

As someone considering Tampa or Miami for next year...thank you for the only useful post in this thread.

Just about every other post contained stereotypes serving as facts...

Old 06-29-2009, 07:14 PM

18 posts, read 59,412 times
Both cities are great if you are seeking diversity and fun in the sun. Tampa is so much more affordable, has a beautiful bay, and a less touristy feel. On the other hand, Miami has unique charm because of the Latin American influence. The city's architecture is amazing. I would pick Miami, even the heart of Hialeah (see
YouTube - SWEEET HOME HIALEAH 2) over certain homogenous places in the South where minorities are sometimes stereotyped. As for the exclusion that many Whites and some biracial/bicultural people experience in Miami, this is nothing new. The tension was present when I was there in the late 1970s and early 1980s. The whole immigration experience, especially the language barriers may be part of the problem. In Miami, immigrants get a welcomed break because they don't have to learn English. Some immigrants lack the psychological resources to learn English. Asylees, for example, have experienced trauma (e.g., torture). They, especially older immigrants, may not have the capacity to go beyond the familiar. Whites or people who can not fully engage these limited English proficient immigrants may sense disconnect. In my opinion, Tampa offers more of a middle ground.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:11 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfbaby View Post
I am a Tampa native, and Imoved to Miami a year ago. Just wanted to give some advice to anyone thinking on doing the same "DON'T"! These are the rudest people on the planet! anyway Miami isn't even part of America ! It has been taken over by immagrants who are racist towards americans, hard to believe, but true.
I don't think they are racist toward Americans but more specifically to African Americans. If you are white or hispanic, you pass the test.

As someone that has lived in Miami for almost 20 years I must say I was pleasantly surprised with the racial relationships I saw in Tampa.

In Miami you rarely see white/black integration unless it's someone with Jamaica with a Latino. In Tampa everywhere I looked I saw white/black people hanging out together. It's so unusual here in Miami. I'm sure it could be better but trust me compared to Miami, Tampa is a racial utopia.

I hate that aspect about Miami. I blame both groups. Blacks down here have become bitter and self segregate and many hispanics down here do judge people by the color of their skin. It's not like they attack each other, but they are so segregated, it's ridiculous.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:34 AM

1 posts, read 8,912 times
I am from Tampa, I have spent very little time in Miami. Total 2 to 3 days in my entire life. Miami does seem to be a supercharged version of Tampa. I say if your native language is English, as most of the United States, than learn some Spanish, just to show to the near 70% Spanish as a first language residents that you are culture sensitive. If you speak spanish, learn English, because this is the accepted language for business, religion, and everything else you will ever be expected to do in the United States. The funniest thing I saw in Miami, a sign that said: Yes, We speak Inlish. -a gross mispelling for both languages! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay