Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 02:37 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender View Post
I have just got back from the funeral of Joey (driver killed with seat belt on ) and nathanial - thrown from car. Speaking there was Corey (thrown from car and not wearing belt but survived). Thursday I attended Keith's and tomorrow we go to LeShawns.
There was only one teen driving here not five, he was sadly rushing home - he was a little past the legal curfew, minutes. These were not crazy kids, there was no alcohol involved or drugs.
The driver who clipped their car pulled out wide to turn in the opposite direction. He (an adult) did not use his blinker. My daughter recently was hit by a car from behind for doing the same maneuovre but she was using her blinker. The sun was low and the driver behind did not see it.
I'm not saying it would not have happened, but maybe it would not have had the blinker been visible. This was not the middle of the night, it was 11.15. The teary teens are working through their grief the best way they can, if this means memorials, then let them be to grieve.
Until the law is changed, they are not doing wrong, yes no seatbelts - but I see this every day with adults. Yes, cell phones in cars - but it's not illegal, until it is why expect them to be any different to adults who do it? I see adults driving daily with dogs on their laps, I've even seen babies on laps for goodness sakes. Today on the way home I saw four little kids in the back of an open pick up - it was driven by an adult. Teach your children well is a good standy. The parents of these boys, good folks, they were always in touch with the boys, they had open house for my son and any friend of their sons. These were not absent parents. It makes me a little sad that 'sue' is the first thought on folks' minds. Why not pause for a moment. Dont be so cynical about our young people.
As for the constant news story, they were not invited today, but they were there.
I hope that the law is changed, I hope that children stop thinking they are invincible, I wish that we didn't have a need for our kids to drive, but we live in a different world and they are allowed to drive and they do have cars because we have dreadful public transportation and we live in fear of our children walking streets. But right now, we can only hope our own children make it safely to adult years and we don't have to bury them like these very sad, and distraught families.
Just how fast was the kid driving? My brother goes to Largo and the rumor there is that he was driving about 85mph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 04:29 PM

314 posts, read 1,182,384 times
My 19 year old nephew was an unusually fine young man. Top grades in school, respectful, took an active part in his church and community...just the kind of son most parents dream of. BUT...he couldn't drive a car worth beans. He had 3 accidents that were *his fault* and none of them due to speeding. He just couldn't handle a car. He lost his license for a while and that made it difficult on the family...driving him to school, social events etc.

Not long after having his license restored, he banged up the family's newest car. My DH and I happened to be visiting in their home for a family dinner and we were all discussing this. His parents said they felt he'd finally learned that he needed to pay more careful attention to his driving and they trusted that he would and all would be fine.

Two months later he ran into a stopped freight train and was killed instantly. Turns out he'd fallen asleep at the wheel.

I feel certain not a day goes by that my BIL and SIL don't beat themselves up for placing car keys back in their son's hands. The writing was on the wall...big time, and it was a "convenience" to ignore it. I think other parents are ignoring the writing on the wall, too.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:38 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Lavender- the car was being driven at a rate of 85mph, it was on the news. This isn't the first, second, or third time........this is about the 20th time that I can think of in the last two years.

My point regarding "suing" was that I don't understand parents who can lose everything except their home( at least in FL) in lawsuits because of the minor children's reckless behavior.

Most people work too hard for what they have to lose it all because of they weren't strict enough with their kids. Learn to say no.

It is poor judgement to allow five teens to be driving around in a car and especially late at night. And if your child was in this car, you would have a different outlook.

Teach your kids to be responsible for their actions, the other driver did nothing wrong in this crash.

Thank God they didn't kill anyone else. And only one was wearing a seatbelt, so someone dropped the ball with this group.

I am sorry for the parents, as no one should have to bury a child, but they made heros out of them on the news.

Until people quit justifying reckless behavior and address this the issue this will continue.

Roadside memorials don't do anything. Telling your children NO and asking questions,
"where are you going?", "who is driving?" etc. We did it and our kids turned out fine.

The driving laws in FL need to be updated like other states have. Quit making excuses for bad behavior.

You can do more than "hope" you can talk to your kids, say no, be a parent not a friend.

Other people on the road have a right to be safe.

And if you think there aren't going to be lawsuits from the other families, you are not realistic.

The driver's insurance may not even cover this crash as he violated curfew.

Think about that. Quit making excuses for bad behavior.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:49 PM

And 11:15pm is the middle of the night. It is almost midnight.

You wouldn't know this Lavender, but growing up in NYC on the Channel 5, every night at 10pm a ad would come on.

"It is 10pm do you know where you children are?"

And in NY anyone under 18 is off the road at 9pm, that is late enough.

They also ran it when we lived in CA, maybe they should run it here.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:40 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
And 11:15pm is the middle of the night. It is almost midnight.

You wouldn't know this Lavender, but growing up in NYC on the Channel 5, every night at 10pm a ad would come on.

"It is 10pm do you know where you children are?"

And in NY anyone under 18 is off the road at 9pm, that is late enough.

They also ran it when we lived in CA, maybe they should run it here.
That would be great to have over here!

Also they all should have driving lessons and to learn how to learn their mirrors...which many adults also never have learned.

I admit that when I got my drivers licence when I was almost 19 since in Europe you only could start taking lessons at the age of 18 and it takes months before you can have the exam and get your license. Using your mirrors is a very important part of it and it really makes a difference.

Like many others you get sick of driving slow when you finally get your license and you feel you know it all. I was lucky...my driving instructor came to our house after h saw me driving too fast and told me he would inform my parents that this wasn't how he had teached me to drive and sooner than later I would get a ticket (he was in a way telling it stricked but nice). This was a wake up call for me (a teenager mostly doesn't think of the results) and from there on I kept mostly to the speed limit although in The Netherlands you don't have to be stopped by a police officer to get a ticket, they just mail it to your house.
They hide a camera behind a tree and every one who goes 5 km over the speed limit will get a ticket....so that is most of the people or you will have to use speed control in the city which is impossible and/or you have to watch more your speed odometer than you watch the road.

I heard on the news about the 85 mph...and I was shocked to readthe post about the curfew issue..so the curfew thing made him speed and cause the dead of the teenagers?
Accidents happen all the time but ins. companies aren't for no reason making ins. more expensive for teenagers...
It has been proven that the brain isn't developed until in their early twenties and a car can be a deadly weapon...

Old 04-19-2009, 06:51 AM

371 posts, read 1,191,120 times
I have a 17 1/2 yo daughter who hates driving here in Va because of the way the other drivers on the road are driving. I can only imagine how she's going to feel about driving down there in the Tampa area. She was in no hurry to get her permit or her license because she didnt want to be out there with the other teens that she knew were NOT responsible enough to be behind the wheel of a moving vehicle, let alone drive alongside the adults (in other vehicles) that she sees driving recklessly.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:38 PM

Bentlebee, I believe Holland also makes you change a tire as part of your driving test.

Anyone can get a DL in Florida, the driving test isn't even a road test.

To let an inexperienced driver have a carload of friends is looking for trouble.

I wouldn't allow a teenager to have more then one friend in the car at a time. When they turn 18 and have their own insurance they can do what they want.

I don't get parents who put themselves into a situation like this because they can't say no.

Why work hard for everything you have to lose it all in a lawsuit because your minor child injures or kills someone.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Bentlebee, I believe Holland also makes you change a tire as part of your driving test.

To let an inexperienced driver have a carload of friends is looking for trouble.

I wouldn't allow a teenager to have more then one friend in the car at a time. When they turn 18 and have their own insurance they can do what they want.

I don't get parents who put themselves into a situation like this because they can't say no.

Why work hard for everything you have to lose it all in a lawsuit because your minor child injures or kills someone.
I agree with you...not worth it.
I have never learned or heard how to change a tire while having driving lesson...We had something similar to AAA..

Old 04-19-2009, 11:30 PM

371 posts, read 1,191,120 times
[quote=seain dublin;8418265]

[quote]

Are you serious??? How in the world can you tell what kind of a driver someone is if you aren't out there in a car with them driving on a real road in real traffic situations??? If someone can't pass the test because of how they deal in real time traffic situations, stress from driving, reacting to other drivers, etc. then maybe they SHOULDN'T be allowed a license. Oh... now I get all the talk about how bad it is driving on the roads there.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:04 AM

Well I have to agree that overall the driving skills over here aren't too good. I noticed when the gas prices were higher the skills became much better and many people slowed down...that is history right now.

Specially on roads like St. Rd 54 where you can't pass another car and people go left and right without using a blinker...many people still are almost attached to the car in front of them and "surprised" if they cause an accident when the car in front of that car all of a sudden has to use their brakes....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay