U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2009, 06:41 PM

2 posts, read 6,099 times

Advertisements

We will move to Tampa for a three year assignment at MacDill. We are considering buying in South Tampa or Valrico. We have four daughters in all levels of school. Is South Tampa/ Plant High district hard to break in to if you are only going to be there a couple of years? Any other feedback related to the benefits or negatives of either place would be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 09:37 PM

371 posts, read 1,084,928 times
We are moving to Florida this summer for a job on Macdill. After alot of research we have decided on the Brandon/Valrico area. Some of the factors that majored in our decision are 1. House size/cost/ammeneties 2. Commute. 3. Schools for our 7 yo and 17 yo. 4. Family Friendliness. 5. Military family friendliness. 6. Likelyhood of getting an enclosed pool with a home we can afford.

While I was quite impressed with Plant H.S. my 17 yo was horrified at the prospect. While she is quite bright here in an excellent school district in Virginia, the thought of moving to Plant H.S. which appears to excell in extremley bright students did not appeal to her. She did not like the idea of possibly dropping to the bottom or near the bottom of her graduating class her Senior year. Especially since alot of research we did online seems to indicate that those students that are not among the brightest at Plant HS seem to get left behind or looked over.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:56 PM

2 posts, read 6,099 times
Default Did you consider Robinson High

Did you consider Robinson High since your daughter did not like the idea of Plant HS?

Old 04-19-2009, 06:41 AM

371 posts, read 1,084,928 times
Yes, we did consider Robinson High. It did not seem to have as big an emphasis on the art programs that my daughter participates in. I suppose with such emphasis on the courses such as culinary, travel/hospitality and ROTC that something had to give. Plant was impressive in their arts dept. but I already posted her concerns about that school. Bloomington High's art dept looks to be pretty good though.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:21 AM

2,602 posts, read 7,505,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Cin! View Post
We are moving to Florida this summer for a job on Macdill. After alot of research we have decided on the Brandon/Valrico area. Some of the factors that majored in our decision are 1. House size/cost/ammeneties 2. Commute. 3. Schools for our 7 yo and 17 yo. 4. Family Friendliness. 5. Military family friendliness. 6. Likelyhood of getting an enclosed pool with a home we can afford.

While I was quite impressed with Plant H.S. my 17 yo was horrified at the prospect. While she is quite bright here in an excellent school district in Virginia, the thought of moving to Plant H.S. which appears to excell in extremley bright students did not appeal to her. She did not like the idea of possibly dropping to the bottom or near the bottom of her graduating class her Senior year. Especially since alot of research we did online seems to indicate that those students that are not among the brightest at Plant HS seem to get left behind or looked over.
I can testify to the fact that not every kid at Plant is a scholar. Plant has its fair share of "normal" students that seem to do alright. If I was her, I really wouldn't worry about dropping academically.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:06 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,284,507 times
If you are moving to Valrico, or considering it, I would look into Riverview High. It's an A rating school and I know that when my sister-in-law graduated there were a lot of kids with a GPA of 6.0 and higher. There are a lot of military families in this area-Brandon/Riverview/Valrico. Plant City I wouldn't live there since it's out of the way and more of a "bo-dunk" kind of town. At least here in Brandon and the surrounding areas your kids would have more things to do and not have to travel as far.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:56 PM

2,259 posts, read 9,052,901 times
Tons of military kids in Valrico and at Newsome High School. Look in Twin Lakes, River Hills or Fishhawk for homes.

Edited to add: Plant High School is an excellent high school. I'm not sure there will be many military kids though.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:05 PM

50 posts, read 136,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Cin! View Post
ditto that! we are moving this summer & actually dh is flying down this weekend to find a house. From school reviews we are thinking Valrico is the better bet (we have 3 pre-grade schoolers).

Riverview grade schools have pretty mixed reviews & lower ratings per GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community so I'm on-the-fence about Riverview

Old 04-22-2009, 01:35 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,284,507 times
Actually, if you look online to Hillsborough County Schools, you will get a more reliable source since it is based off of the test ratings and so forth. Riverview has A rating schools. Riverview Elem. and Sessoms Elem. is A rated and Riverview High is A rated...these are just a few. Here is the website: http://www.sdhc.k12.fl.us/schools/SelectSchool.asp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfragger1 View Post
ditto that! we are moving this summer & actually dh is flying down this weekend to find a house. From school reviews we are thinking Valrico is the better bet (we have 3 pre-grade schoolers).

Riverview grade schools have pretty mixed reviews & lower ratings per GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community so I'm on-the-fence about Riverview

Old 05-04-2009, 09:00 AM

126 posts, read 492,550 times
I live in Valrico - lots of military families. MacDill also has a service center for military families in Brandon, which is nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or