U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2009, 06:27 PM

6 posts, read 24,080 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I, with my wife and two school going boys (6th grader and 3rd grader) are planning to relocate to new Tampa in the 33647 zip code area. I want to know if there is any school in this area offering any pre-AP or accelerated subjects in Math or Science. My elder son is enrolled in accelerated Math and in Pre-AP for other subjects. It seems they will attend Benito Middle school and Hunter's Elementary school closer to community (Andover Place/Addison Park) having 9 rating.

Please advice.

Thanks in advance
Nik

Last edited by ndbhatt; 04-19-2009 at 07:23 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 09:44 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,258,344 times
We live in Tampa Palms. The elementary school (Tampa Palms Elementary) does have a math AP program. I don't know about the middle school (Liberty), though I would think that it does too. The high school (Freedom) has an advanced program as well. They are all very good schools, for Florida.

My kids are currently not going to any of those schools. We have them in a charter school, Learning Gate Community School. They will be attending the high school though.

Have you thought of a magnet school for math?

Why don't you just give the schools that you are looking to have them go to and see what kind of AP classes they offer and how can your kids get into them. The schools are very good about questions like that.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:29 AM

Thanks for your reply.I intend to live in rental apartment. I haven't decided on any specific community to live in. If community has schools that offer AP classes, I would be more than happy to consider them.Is there any way I can find what classes are being offered by schools? I was looking to move in a community where my elder one will attend Benito Middle school.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:51 PM

WHY would you want him to go to Benito??? Tampa Palms elementary AP class are just excellerated math and science. They are learning the same material just a bit faster pace.

Tampa Palms elementary, Liberty Middle and Freedom high have high ratings too. I have heard people say that they are not impressed with Benito.

Have you tried to look at the Hillsborogh County education website? You may find what you are looking for there.

Freedom High School has a more challenging program that seems to be similar to the IB programs, though I am sure it is not as academically challenging.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:07 AM

Thanks for responding and I apologize for responding late; I was too busy winding up stuff here in Austin. My younger one goes to Elementary and elder one goes to Middle school. My decision was purely based on the ratings of schools, Benito showed 9, better than the rest. Ofcourse, I am hearing different from you which shows how much dependable are the school ratings than actual in-person experience.
I looked at the Hillsborogh County education website. Here's what I found
"The program has now expanded to include all of the high schools and middle schools in Hillsborough County, making the district the first in the nation to take EXCELerator countywide."
BTW, I have sent my apartment rental application to Andover and Addision community. I'll re-assess my decision once I move there.
Thanks,
Nik

Old 07-18-2009, 12:36 PM
MT8

60 posts, read 172,246 times
You can check out the schools at this site:

School Information

Old 07-18-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT8 View Post
You can check out the schools at this site:

School Information
Thanks MT8. This site is helpful.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:13 PM

3 posts, read 9,526 times
Just a note, AP classes are generally only offered at the high school level. Not sure of this whole "Pre-AP" thing...

A note to annaegel and others (no offense intended), but the area where ndbhatt is moving to is more than likely zoned for Benito and Hunter's Green Elementary. To send their children to any Tampa Palms area schools would require them to provide their own transportation (I'm assuming they don't want to drive their kids at least 15 to 20 minutes each morning when there is a middle and elementary school less than 5 minutes away). There is no bus for attending a school outside your zone (with the exception of magnet schools and the like).

Old 07-20-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2005 View Post
Just a note, AP classes are generally only offered at the high school level. Not sure of this whole "Pre-AP" thing...

A note to annaegel and others (no offense intended), but the area where ndbhatt is moving to is more than likely zoned for Benito and Hunter's Green Elementary. To send their children to any Tampa Palms area schools would require them to provide their own transportation (I'm assuming they don't want to drive their kids at least 15 to 20 minutes each morning when there is a middle and elementary school less than 5 minutes away). There is no bus for attending a school outside your zone (with the exception of magnet schools and the like).
Agreed. However, I wouldn't send my kids to Benito. I have heard other people tell me it is so-so. Liberty is much better. If it were me, I would make the 15 minute drive. My kids go to a charter school that is 15 minutes away. I would drive 30 minutes if it meant them getting a better education. When we first moved down here 4 years ago, we were told Hunter's as the most crowded elementary school in Tampa. Don't know if that is really true.

There is AP in elementary and middle school. I too don't know what pre-ap classes are.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:19 PM

134 posts, read 487,261 times
Default Schools

I am sending my kids to a Lutheran School in Temple Terrace that offers classes from pre-k thru middle school. I've tried both public and private school and hands down the private school is better for our family. They work with kids' individual abilities, there are small class sizes, they still have fun in school with holiday parties and family get-to-togethers and they do not teach to the test. Yes, they have to take a skills test at the end of the year such as IOWA or Stanford, but the teachers do not teach the test all year long in preparation for the test. We are much happier with the private school, although each is to their own, this works for our family. We can live anywhere we want without worrying about the schools or being redistricted. Good luck to you all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay