Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2009, 07:53 AM

326 posts, read 1,301,591 times

Advertisements

I moved here from NJ a couple of months ago and I just recently recieved a letter from NJ Motor Vechicles asking me to pay a new surcharge that come up.

Can anybody tell me if I'm still required to pay this since I no longer have a NJ license and everything has been transferred to FL?

I already have sent them a monthy payment of what they were asking but was just wondering if I still need to keep paying them or can I call them up and tell them that I no longer have a NJ license?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 03:45 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,655,241 times
I moved from NJ 4 years ago and never got a surcharge. I would imagine you should not be responsible for paying for something you no longer have. Do you still have a NJ license? Why should you be charged for it, if you no longer have it. Let them know that you no longer live in NJ and are getting a surcharge. I would not have paid it to begin with. I would ask for a refund.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:20 AM

Thanks... I might as well try. I don't have a NJ license anymore everything has been transferred to FL. I paid it so I would have problems with them and then have it transfer to FL.

I don't thing it's fair that they are trying to charge me for something I don't have anymore.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:54 AM

30 posts, read 88,408 times
Thumbs down ahhh NJ the milking state

NJ is notorious for the surcharge letters. My husband and I both born and raised in NJ. After being stationed in California for 4 years and moving to MD, we received the "surcharge" letter from NJ DMV for tickets that he paid in full that he had gotten 6 years prior. At that time he had a CA license and were in the process of changing our license to MD.

NJ along with its other ridiculous laws, has this think of milking its residence for everything.

glad you paid, so theres one less thing to have to deal with. Here's the reason why u got the letter:

[LEFT]The New Jersey Merit Rating Program, created by N.J.S.A. 17:29A-35 requires Motor Vehicle Services to collect insurance surcharges from motorists whose driving records include certain motor vehicle offenses. The surcharges are in addition to any court-imposed fines and penalties, or any premium or surcharge fees assessed by insurance companies.
Surchargeable events include alcohol and drug related offenses, regulatory offenses such as driving without a license, driving without valid insurance or driving while suspended, and accumulating six or more points in a period of three years or less. These surcharges are assessed each year for three years. (Please note that point credits are not considered when assessing surcharges). All surchargeable offenses are billed as they appear on your motor vehicle record. Motor Vehicle Services does not have the authority to reduce your surcharge payments or change any court-reported violations.
Revenue generated is used to repay $705 million in bonds sold to eliminate the debt of the Market Transition Facility (MTF). The MTF provided auto insurance to those unable to obtain coverage in the voluntary market. Part of the revenue is also designed for alcohol rehabilitation for drunk drivers.
You are responsible for paying the surcharge even if you move out of NJ. The surcharge is imposed regardless of your current license, registration and/or insurance status.[/LEFT]

Old 04-29-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerdiva View Post
NJ is notorious for the surcharge letters. My husband and I both born and raised in NJ. After being stationed in California for 4 years and moving to MD, we received the "surcharge" letter from NJ DMV for tickets that he paid in full that he had gotten 6 years prior. At that time he had a CA license and were in the process of changing our license to MD.

NJ along with its other ridiculous laws, has this think of milking its residence for everything.

glad you paid, so theres one less thing to have to deal with. Here's the reason why u got the letter:

[LEFT]The New Jersey Merit Rating Program, created by N.J.S.A. 17:29A-35 requires Motor Vehicle Services to collect insurance surcharges from motorists whose driving records include certain motor vehicle offenses. The surcharges are in addition to any court-imposed fines and penalties, or any premium or surcharge fees assessed by insurance companies.
Surchargeable events include alcohol and drug related offenses, regulatory offenses such as driving without a license, driving without valid insurance or driving while suspended, and accumulating six or more points in a period of three years or less. These surcharges are assessed each year for three years. (Please note that point credits are not considered when assessing surcharges). All surchargeable offenses are billed as they appear on your motor vehicle record. Motor Vehicle Services does not have the authority to reduce your surcharge payments or change any court-reported violations.
Revenue generated is used to repay $705 million in bonds sold to eliminate the debt of the Market Transition Facility (MTF). The MTF provided auto insurance to those unable to obtain coverage in the voluntary market. Part of the revenue is also designed for alcohol rehabilitation for drunk drivers.
You are responsible for paying the surcharge even if you move out of NJ. The surcharge is imposed regardless of your current license, registration and/or insurance status.[/LEFT]
LOL... you are so right! NJ will get you for everything if they could.

I researched myself afterwards and found the samething that I have to pay.

I also just recently got another letter from them because I switched over my car insurance to a different company saying that my registration rights were going to be revoked because I didn't carry insurance!

I can't believe them they have my current address in FL and they are mailing everything there... my car isn't registered in NJ anymore.

Ohh but of course I did have to send them back my NJ plates which I still did have. Another rip off! You pay for plates but you have to return them... I know in FL you keep them.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:46 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,655,241 times
why didn't the florida motor vehicle department take them? They took ours when issuing florida plates. We had no surcharge. Was it because we had not violations? We did not have to pay anything extra for florida to take our nj plates. Maybe this is a new way to collect more revenue. Ridiculous. I find Florida nickles and dimes you to death too.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:53 PM

Interesting!! FL never asked me for my NJ plates. I did everything as a transfer and showed them proof the car was registered in NJ but they never asked me for my plates. If I had known they would take them I would have given it to them instead. I just payed almost $10 to mail them back to Jersey.

My parents same thing they have their Jersey plates to this day. FL never asked for them and they transfered registrations on two cars.

As far as surcharges yes you didn't have them because you didn't have violations that they can give you surcharges for. But this has nothing to do with transfering registrations... it's something seperate.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:13 AM

30 posts, read 88,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k101608 View Post
Interesting!! FL never asked me for my NJ plates. I did everything as a transfer and showed them proof the car was registered in NJ but they never asked me for my plates. If I had known they would take them I would have given it to them instead. I just payed almost $10 to mail them back to Jersey.

My parents same thing they have their Jersey plates to this day. FL never asked for them and they transfered registrations on two cars.

As far as surcharges yes you didn't have them because you didn't have violations that they can give you surcharges for. But this has nothing to do with transfering registrations... it's something seperate.
Its not FL who wants your plates, its the state of NJ who wants your plates and NJ wants you to turn them in once you leave the state, etc. It amazes me how they are allowed to get away with such CRAP!!

Last edited by Cheerdiva; 05-06-2009 at 07:15 AM.. Reason: ,

Old 08-28-2009, 02:32 AM

72 posts, read 389,258 times
Hello all. Has anyone consulted a lawyer regarding the possibility of having the amount reduced or eliminated?

Old 03-10-2010, 03:39 PM

72 posts, read 389,258 times
Anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay