Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2009, 07:05 PM

149 posts, read 467,093 times

Advertisements

I'm heading back to NY on Friday and I would really like to narrow my search down to a particular area or two. I've been doing nothing but driving around the past few days and I've definitely made some progress.

My plans are wide open at this point:
Either Work in Tampa
Go to grad school at USF
Work in St.Pete
Work anywhere inbetween these areas.

I need a centralized location that allows me to keep my options open. South Tampa would be the perfect fit here, but I don't see a lot of value there and I can't afford what I'm looking for. So I need to look elsewhere in hopes of getting more apartment for my money while still being somewhat centralized. I need a safe, quiet and clean place. Price range is ~$1300 for at least 2bedrooms.

I'll list a few of the places I've drove around and my thoughts. Any advice would be MUCH appreciated.

Oldsmar-I haven't explored here much, just driving through on my way to downtown Tampa from Palm Harbor. It looks very nice and the location is pretty decent and centralized . All kinds of shopping and food. St.Pete would be a somewhat long drive but my other criteria should be met fairly well. I plan on visiting this area as thoroughly as I can before leaving.
Safety Harbor- Another place I need to check out. This general location seems like a good fit and I've also read good things about the area. Not sure how many apartments they have here. Maybe it's just a nice single family home area?
Westchase-Nice place, but I'm not sold on it yet. Rush hour is probably a nightmare.
Brandon-Not what I had in mind when picturing my first move to Florida. I mean the beach is an hour away! The areas I drove through were very nice and seemingly quiet. Didn't see much in the way of apartment complexes. I drove all around the lumsden rd area out to valrico, back up to 60.
North Tampa by Fowler-Straight ghetto and I want no part of it.
South Tampa-Very nice between Kennedy and Gandy for the most part. Once again though, I can't afford what I want here. South of Gandy isn't my cup of tea.
New Tampa-Would rule out St.Pete jobwise and also the ocean is a ways away. I have not been up that way though.

I'm begging for advice. Please help so I don't leave here a wreck!

Last edited by BradS1; 04-26-2009 at 07:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 04:49 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,653,627 times
I don't think New Tampa is your area either. Your 1,300 for a 2 or more bedroom could be found no problem. It is not central to your locations for work. It would take you 45 minutes to busy Clearwater marina. Little night life. You sure you couldn't find something for $1,300 in South Tampa ??? Westchase is similar to New Tampa area. Brandon is more family oriented, less of the deed restricted communities like we have in New Tampa. Sorry, I don't know about Safety Harbor or Oldsmar.

It would seem to me that your best bet (without really knowing Safety Harbor/Oldsmar), that south Tampa is what you are looking for. I think in this economy, maybe you can haggle the rent prices. A friend of mine is in a rental home, and she told her landlady, she may need to move out because she cannot afford the rent. The woman was willing to reduce the rent $300 a month because she knows the house could sit there for months while she looses much more than $300 a month. If you see a place you like and it is just a bit out of your price range, see if you could get it reduced a bit. Offer to paint it or something. The same friend, offered to paint the inside of the house, if she reduced the rent $50 a month. The woman went for it.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:33 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,596,703 times
Check with Post Properties. They should have something in your price range. Post Rocky Point is on the Courtney Campbell Causeway (just west of the airport), Post Hyde Park is in South Tampa, and Post Harbour Place is on Harbour Island. Here's a link to their website Apartments for Rent - Post Apartment Homes - Furnished Luxury Apartments - Condominiums. Good luck!

P.S. I've read on this forum from others who suggested The Cove in South Tampa.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:43 AM

267 posts, read 1,122,965 times
Make life easy for yourself and minimize your stressors.

If you are moving to Tampa to go to graduate school, that is where your focus should be.

Graduate school is intense and stressful. Don't add to the stress by setting yourself up to battle traffic every day. If you will be a GA or have a teaching assistanceship at some point, your graduate program will OWN your life. Even if you don't, what makes you successful in college is not necessarily the formula which will make you successful in grad school. They are different animals.

Don't plan your life around an easy drive for the weekend trips to the beach that you may find you have no time for once your studies start.

Plan your life for the 90% of your life that you live day to day - school and work.

Get a GA or teaching assistanceship to pay for your schooling if you can, or look for aa job near USF - there's a lot in the area.

Look for a short term lease near USF. If you hate it, it's short term. If graduate school starts eating your life, you will be glad to have that extra 40 minutes each way to study instead of drive.

Best of luck to you.

goi_cuon
I survived grad school, you can, too

Old 04-27-2009, 07:22 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annaegel View Post
I don't think New Tampa is your area either. Your 1,300 for a 2 or more bedroom could be found no problem. It is not central to your locations for work. It would take you 45 minutes to busy Clearwater marina. Little night life. You sure you couldn't find something for $1,300 in South Tampa ??? Westchase is similar to New Tampa area. Brandon is more family oriented, less of the deed restricted communities like we have in New Tampa. Sorry, I don't know about Safety Harbor or Oldsmar.

It would seem to me that your best bet (without really knowing Safety Harbor/Oldsmar), that south Tampa is what you are looking for. I think in this economy, maybe you can haggle the rent prices. A friend of mine is in a rental home, and she told her landlady, she may need to move out because she cannot afford the rent. The woman was willing to reduce the rent $300 a month because she knows the house could sit there for months while she looses much more than $300 a month. If you see a place you like and it is just a bit out of your price range, see if you could get it reduced a bit. Offer to paint it or something. The same friend, offered to paint the inside of the house, if she reduced the rent $50 a month. The woman went for it.
I had one tenant asking me to lower the rent with $ 200.- and I said "NO", I told him I would raise the rent as he knew and already stated in his email with the question about the rent...I raised the rent and got it rented out within 2 weeks. Another rental that I have is in Wesley Chapel and my tenant is moving out this week and I put it on the market and never ever got so many responses and I have 2 days to get it painted, cleaned, etc. because it is rented out for 2 yrs with a higher rental price.

It is all about demand and the demand for rental is high right now, specially on top locations and in good condition. Mine are in Wesley Chapel and I'm not asking the cheapest rental price and not the highest but the Wesley Chapel/Seven Oaks area is where many people want to live.

Since 2005 I have been raising my rental prices with no problems of getting them rented out.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:41 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
Check with Post Properties. They should have something in your price range. Post Rocky Point is on the Courtney Campbell Causeway (just west of the airport), Post Hyde Park is in South Tampa, and Post Harbour Place is on Harbour Island. Here's a link to their website Apartments for Rent - Post Apartment Homes - Furnished Luxury Apartments - Condominiums. Good luck!

P.S. I've read on this forum from others who suggested The Cove in South Tampa.
Great advice - to the OP - look here, or find a place in South Tampa, believe me it will be worth whatever you have to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay