Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 02:19 PM

371 posts, read 1,259,617 times

Advertisements

Guess the question says it all....
Not into religion, like a free thinking, artsy kinda vibe for families
Any suggestions? ( be specific! )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 02:37 PM

96 posts, read 736,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liza54 View Post
Guess the question says it all....
Not into religion, like a free thinking, artsy kinda vibe for families
Any suggestions? ( be specific! )
Check my thread here as I asked this same question, specifically about the St. Petersburg/St. Pete Beach areas and got some interesting replies. (You can also check my posting history by visiting my profile page; I also asked a similar question about the Panhandle area).

From what I could gather by responses, most people felt that either Tampa or St. Petersburg were possibly the most liberal and progressive cities in Florida outside of Miami. (I personally prefer the St. Petersburg area as I just like the way the city and beaches look).

But you were asking specifically about Tampa, so I'll bow out and see if some others can address that area for you.

Good luck on your quest!

Last edited by Sailor Curt; 05-05-2009 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: Added clarification to answer

Old 05-05-2009, 03:12 PM

127 posts, read 427,409 times
All the hippies I know live in Seminole Heights

Old 05-05-2009, 06:30 PM

592 posts, read 1,814,082 times
I asked a similar question here once, too, particularly about where the liberal minded people live. What I got from the answers was Hyde Park (yuppy liberals), Seminole Heights, and St. Petersburg. I've also seen an area by the name of Historic Kenwood in St. Petersburg that is definitely free thinking, multi cultural, with an artistic vibe. There's a store there that sells a lot of the people who lived there's handmade creative products ( beautiful ones ) and a very big co-op pottery studio with huge outdoor kilns and things in a large old train station. Very cool.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiPatooti View Post
I asked a similar question here once, too, particularly about where the liberal minded people live. What I got from the answers was Hyde Park (yuppy liberals), Seminole Heights, and St. Petersburg. I've also seen an area by the name of Historic Kenwood in St. Petersburg that is definitely free thinking, multi cultural, with an artistic vibe.
I've also heard great things about the Historic Kenwood area, i.e., that it is liberal, very artsy, very gay-tolerant, and, judging by the Internet photos that I've seen, has some wonderful older, restored houses set in very neat and clean neighborhoods.

My wife and I have been mulling over the idea of moving to St. Petersburg for over a year now. We like the idea of living there and are continuing to look into it. Right now, it is the bad economy that is hindering our plans as we feel that we would have a hard time finding work there, or actually, in anyplace that we might want to move to at present.

And if we do decide to move there, we are torn between trying to find a great mid-century modern home in a similar neighborhood (like Kenwood) or, purchasing a condo right on the water in St. Pete Beach (which we have visited and absolutely fell in love with. We liked the Starlight Towers, a condo that was built in 1950).

OK, I realize that I'm hijacking this thread to a certain degree! Thanks for letting me rattle on.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:32 AM

371 posts, read 1,259,617 times
Hey, no problem! I'm just happy you answered! The 'feel' of a place just can't be felt on Craigslist or an MLS. I lived in SoCal and want to surround myself and my kids with that type of person- open minded, tolerant, valuing nature, etc. Just feels better for us. Will start looking in those areas right away!

Old 05-09-2009, 10:42 PM

Location: I will be escaping Suck City and landing in Tampa in December
346 posts, read 910,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Curt View Post
I've also heard great things about the Historic Kenwood area, i.e., that it is liberal, very artsy, very gay-tolerant, and, judging by the Internet photos that I've seen, has some wonderful older, restored houses set in very neat and clean neighborhoods.

My wife and I have been mulling over the idea of moving to St. Petersburg for over a year now. We like the idea of living there and are continuing to look into it. Right now, it is the bad economy that is hindering our plans as we feel that we would have a hard time finding work there, or actually, in anyplace that we might want to move to at present.

And if we do decide to move there, we are torn between trying to find a great mid-century modern home in a similar neighborhood (like Kenwood) or, purchasing a condo right on the water in St. Pete Beach (which we have visited and absolutely fell in love with. We liked the Starlight Towers, a condo that was built in 1950).

OK, I realize that I'm hijacking this thread to a certain degree! Thanks for letting me rattle on.
Free unsolicited advice: Get the condo in St Pete Beach, if you can. If you have the opportunity to live on or within walking distance of a Florida beach....TAKE IT!

Old 05-10-2009, 07:15 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matchpoint View Post
Free unsolicited advice: Get the condo in St Pete Beach, if you can. If you have the opportunity to live on or within walking distance of a Florida beach....TAKE IT!
I kind of have to agree with this - as much as I love the neat old homes, I don't think you can beat a vintage condo on the beach - that would be my dream someday I think!

Old 05-11-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I kind of have to agree with this - as much as I love the neat old homes, I don't think you can beat a vintage condo on the beach - that would be my dream someday I think!
Thanks matchpoint and gypsychic! I tend to agree with you both, but it is nice to hear the opinions of others to reinforce that. (And to gyspychic: I've read your opinions/advice on these forums many, many times and always appreciate what you have to say. You are very level-headed and precise in your comments. Thanks). The beach is really what I want the most out of living there and I've been in love with St. Pete Beach since I first visited there 30 years ago.

But, I still feel like I am hijacking this thread! I urge others to help the original poster get their question(s) answered . . . I've gotten mine.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:59 PM

244 posts, read 920,685 times
Hi Liza54, I am a Miami native but I've visited the Tampa Bay area many times with my girlfriend, who is a Tampa Bay native. We are both very liberal/progressive. In my opinion St. Pete would be a better choice than Tampa. That is, if you can find a job in St. Pete or somewhere within Pinellas county. Commuting from St. Pete to Tampa can be a real headache. St. Pete has a lot of potential and character. The downtown area is quite walkable, if a bit dicey in places. There are numerous restaurants (including Ceviches/Pincho y Pincho, which serves wickedly delicious tapas and seafood dishes), bars/pubs, delis, etc. The Salvador Dali museum is a must visit for even the casual art buff. The downtown farmer's market has live music, fresh produce, and prepared foods. You can catch a baseball game at Tropicana Field. Kenwood and the Old Northeast are great, funky, eclectic neighborhoods with old restored houses situated in well manicured, xeriscaped lots with lots of tree coverage (which is important when summer rolls around........yikes!). The beaches in Pinellas county are superb! Madeira beach, Indian Rocks beach, Fort De Soto, Caladesi, St. Pete Beach, Clearwater beach, Passe-a-Grille beach, etc., are all very nice. Some of the areas northwest of St. Petersburg are quaint and unique as well. Dunedin has a micro brewery/brewpub and a small, walkable, retro downtown area. Tarpon Springs is a Greek enclave with great restaurants, bakeries, and bric a brac shops. The kitsch factor is substantial due, in part, to Sponge O Rama, a museum that highlights the "glory days" of Tarpon Springs' sponge diving industry in the 50's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay