Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 03:17 PM

46 posts, read 126,167 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone, I have been researching all the relocation posts and am hoping you can help me with some further questions.

I am excited by the possibility of moving to a 'young' city with a lot to offer. I worry a bit about leaving a good job here in Mass, but can use the HATE word when referring to winters. How hard has the economy hit you down there? Is there desperation, or are people hanging on.

Could anyone tell me about buying a condo (I can afford up to about 135k), what the average fees are and what they cover, what are property taxes like in St. Pete, what insurance will run me, and which are the best new (built since 2005) condos.

Also, I am currently an oral surgery assistant who got her start in general dentistry. Do you feel there would be employment opportunity for me?

And finally, I am single, educated, cute, fit and seem to be into a lot of guy activities like muscle cars, golf, UFC. Am I going to meet viable men looking for relationships?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by icorvidae; 05-09-2009 at 03:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 06:50 PM

16 posts, read 64,356 times
Hi icorvidae,

I, too, am moving to Tampa Bay area from near Boston. I am putting my condo on the market in the next month or so. Lot to do. Very exciting but scary as to the whole process. I am not sure where to live and been researching. I was down there for 10 days in Nov. meeting people in my profession (nursing) and just driving around. Isn't so nice down there to have people who are respectful drivers, no potholes (that is a big issue with me), nice happy people, and more. When are you moving or do you know? I can't wait to get out of this city I live in with drug house across the street and gang house below me. I don't want to get into the same situation in FL so safety is a big concern of mine.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:32 PM

46 posts, read 126,167 times
Hi BEfriend,

I'm not sure about when I am moving (or even if). My main goal is to take advantage of the Firsttime Homebuyer's tax credit of 8k, so I need to close by 11/30/09, whether it will be in Sunny St. Pete or here in W. Mass. I will be going by myself, so it is a bit daunting, but "If not now, when" was a quote I read the other day! Do you have a family? Where did you like when you were there in Nov? Good to hear the people are friendly down there, I get so exhasperated by the generalized rudeness of Mass-Holes!! I'm sure you do to! Thanks for replying, keep in touch! I'm thinking about taking a last minute flight down on Tuesday (on vacation this week) to check everything out. icorvidae

Old 05-10-2009, 04:21 PM

47 posts, read 197,678 times
Smoothwaitress, do you have a saved copy of your post that you just cut and paste into every topic about someone moving to Tampa???

Old 05-10-2009, 09:50 PM

Location: I will be escaping Suck City and landing in Tampa in December
346 posts, read 910,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaStar View Post
Smoothwaitress, do you have a saved copy of your post that you just cut and paste into every topic about someone moving to Tampa???
Took the words right out of my mouth... smoothwaitress must be an agent for an anti-tampa propaganda machine

Old 05-11-2009, 04:29 AM

737 posts, read 2,587,902 times
Didn't the OP refer to St. Petersburg? Just sayin'

Old 05-11-2009, 08:35 AM

108 posts, read 308,244 times
The unemployment rate in Florida is higher than the national average, for whatever that's worth. I believe it's over 10% in the bay area. But that doesn't necessarily mean you won't find a job here. I'd imagine the medical field hasn't been hit as hard as some other industries, and last I checked people still have teeth, and they still require maintaining, so...

There are some very nice new condos just being completed right in downtown St Pete. For example, this and this. Not sure what 135K will get you though, but a word of advice if I may. Rent first, at least for a little while. Get to know the area, explore the different neighborhoods, see where you wind up working, and only then start thinking about buying. Not to mention, with all the property taxes, condo fees, and property insurance, you'll be able to get a much better place for the same money if you rent.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:13 PM

16 posts, read 64,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icorvidae View Post
Hi BEfriend,

I'm not sure about when I am moving (or even if). My main goal is to take advantage of the Firsttime Homebuyer's tax credit of 8k, so I need to close by 11/30/09, whether it will be in Sunny St. Pete or here in W. Mass. I will be going by myself, so it is a bit daunting, but "If not now, when" was a quote I read the other day! Do you have a family? Where did you like when you were there in Nov? Good to hear the people are friendly down there, I get so exhasperated by the generalized rudeness of Mass-Holes!! I'm sure you do to! Thanks for replying, keep in touch! I'm thinking about taking a last minute flight down on Tuesday (on vacation this week) to check everything out. icorvidae
I know what you mean about "IF". My condo is not on the market yet but will be in 2-3 weeks. I live near boston in a crime ridden drug/gang infested city...no names. I want to get out so bad! Drug house across the street and a gang house below me and two shootings/wild parties/noise etc. (those homes mentioned) in the past 2 years. I am definitely not buying in FL. I have had it with condo fees (312.00 per mos. for nothing but a parking lot), mortgage, RE taxes over 2,000 for nothing and trying to upkeep repairs. Can you believe the rents in Tampa Bay area? What you get for $1,000 a mos. would be $1800-2000 a mos where I live and you may not have a pool or fitness room. And, the amenties WOW...pools and fitness clubs and palm trees and screened porch/lanai. I have had it with potholes, winter, rude horrible people, bad drivers, (me included sometimes and am a nicer person in FL), the politics here, liberalism, and on and on. No, I am single also with two cats. I looked around Dundee/Palm Harbor area and went to meet some nsg. professors @ PHCC (NPortRichey). I don't like Rte. 19 at all and most of the condo complexes are right off of it. And, too far from the beach. I stayed down Madeira Beach and you must go to St. John's Pass. Really wonderful place. Gorgeous!!! But, I headed down near St. Pete and said I have to be here. St. Pete beach is gorgeous. Clearwater Beach and the area is horrible now. changed a lot. I was in Tampa a lot and went to meet some nurses and nsg. students at USF-Tampa. One thing to tell you is that I couldn't find any traffic anywhere. No bumper to bumper traffic taking you 35 min. to go 9 miles like it does here. I left Madeira Beach & went to Tampa Convention Center on a Friday AM at 6:45 AM and got there @ 7:05. I couldn't believe there was no traffic and no people anywhere. I parked for $5 for the entire day in the lot next to the convention center. I could not believe it! parking here, as you know, is $20-25 per day and more. It would take me 40-45 min. to go the same distance here at the same time of day that it took me 20 min. to get there. Floridians do not know how good they have it. I just pray that I can move there soon. Well, enough info??? Just wanted to encourage you.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:56 PM

807 posts, read 3,187,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lstcats View Post
I know what you mean about "IF". My condo is not on the market yet but will be in 2-3 weeks. I live near boston in a crime ridden drug/gang infested city...no names. I want to get out so bad! Drug house across the street and a gang house below me and two shootings/wild parties/noise etc. (those homes mentioned) in the past 2 years. I am definitely not buying in FL. I have had it with condo fees (312.00 per mos. for nothing but a parking lot), mortgage, RE taxes over 2,000 for nothing and trying to upkeep repairs. Can you believe the rents in Tampa Bay area? What you get for $1,000 a mos. would be $1800-2000 a mos where I live and you may not have a pool or fitness room. And, the amenties WOW...pools and fitness clubs and palm trees and screened porch/lanai. I have had it with potholes, winter, rude horrible people, bad drivers, (me included sometimes and am a nicer person in FL), the politics here, liberalism, and on and on. No, I am single also with two cats. I looked around Dundee/Palm Harbor area and went to meet some nsg. professors @ PHCC (NPortRichey). I don't like Rte. 19 at all and most of the condo complexes are right off of it. And, too far from the beach. I stayed down Madeira Beach and you must go to St. John's Pass. Really wonderful place. Gorgeous!!! But, I headed down near St. Pete and said I have to be here. St. Pete beach is gorgeous. Clearwater Beach and the area is horrible now. changed a lot. I was in Tampa a lot and went to meet some nurses and nsg. students at USF-Tampa. One thing to tell you is that I couldn't find any traffic anywhere. No bumper to bumper traffic taking you 35 min. to go 9 miles like it does here. I left Madeira Beach & went to Tampa Convention Center on a Friday AM at 6:45 AM and got there @ 7:05. I couldn't believe there was no traffic and no people anywhere. I parked for $5 for the entire day in the lot next to the convention center. I could not believe it! parking here, as you know, is $20-25 per day and more. It would take me 40-45 min. to go the same distance here at the same time of day that it took me 20 min. to get there. Floridians do not know how good they have it. I just pray that I can move there soon. Well, enough info??? Just wanted to encourage you.
Some Floridians...not all.

We went from this^^

to this:

And we're not goin' back!

Old 05-24-2009, 06:57 PM

92 posts, read 349,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icorvidae View Post
Hi Everyone, I have been researching all the relocation posts and am hoping you can help me with some further questions.

I am excited by the possibility of moving to a 'young'
Let me guess, are you another "young professional" on city-data ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay