Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 06:23 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times

Advertisements

I would stay clear of Craigslist and the reason being is that some of those jobs are fake and some are an insult to every profession out there by the pay they offer! I think they should literally close the job section just as they did with the personals because it is really offensive to expect an architectural photographer for example to work for $10 per house completely ignoring that gas will be used to get to that house and back, the time spent to photograph that house, the post processing involved since were all digital now and are our own labs (Photoshop), delivery (DVD, CD, packaging etc etc etc) same goes for graphic designers, web designers which normally are paid salaries from $40,000 and UP....same goes also for all other professions out there. Not to mention completely disregarding that people do have families to support, medical bills and children!!!!!!!!! craigslist should be ashamed for allowing such posts.

Personally, I would check CareerBuilder, not so much Monster, they kinda went south about 4 years ago...and find a company(s) you want to work for and make a call directly to them.......send them your resume and make a direct contact...that's what I would do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 08:52 AM

108 posts, read 308,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
I would stay clear of Craigslist and the reason being is that some of those jobs are fake and some are an insult to every profession out there by the pay they offer! I think they should literally close the job section just as they did with the personals because it is really offensive to expect an architectural photographer for example to work for $10 per house completely ignoring that gas will be used to get to that house and back, the time spent to photograph that house, the post processing involved since were all digital now and are our own labs (Photoshop), delivery (DVD, CD, packaging etc etc etc) same goes for graphic designers, web designers which normally are paid salaries from $40,000 and UP....same goes also for all other professions out there. Not to mention completely disregarding that people do have families to support, medical bills and children!!!!!!!!! craigslist should be ashamed for allowing such posts.
It seems kindof unfair to blame CL like that. All they do is provide the medium, not the content. People who post those ads offer what they think is fair value for the work. If you find the pay inadequate, then simply don't take it.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:10 AM

54 posts, read 170,000 times
I agree with your post about craigslist to some extent. Just recently an ad was posted by a guy who wanted a "personal assistant" for $6 an hour!!! When people called on the job the first question he asked was how old are you and do you have a picture of yourself!!! I found that excessively disturbing!!!

Old 05-14-2009, 09:48 AM

It promotes a false value and actually devalues someones job/career etc. Craigslist is very very popular and it is very easy for most people who look through it to get the wrong idea as to what they should be paid for their work.
Craigslist does provide a service, which is why it is their responsibility to make sure the people who are looking for jobs DO NOT get scammed, at this point it is extensively abused by people with no moral values or respect for someones career and also by people who do not have a clear understanding of what different careers are paid, just because someone is new out of college that doesn't mean they don't have a gas bill, or a rent to pay or school supplies to buy! so offering to pay these poor kids less than the minimum wage is just wrong. Plus, there aren't just college kids looking for jobs through Craigslist. A software engineer is a software engineer in any state, the job is the same and should be valued and paid the same! or within the guidelines of each state and what the average pay is for that job.
Here is the pay scale for Florida:
PayScale - Florida State Salary, Average Salaries
You can also search this site for the same thing:
MyFlorida.com - Home
Anything under that is a scam of some kind and people should be very aware of it.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:24 PM

92 posts, read 349,415 times
Online job searches suck because of stupid temp agencies that FLOOD them with fake jobs and other useless garbage. You'll just find more spam than anything by searching online. It's better to go directly to company and government websites.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:09 PM

54 posts, read 170,000 times
Thats what im going to have to do. I was wanting to get some interviews lined up before flying down there. But it looks like I might just have to walk into some companies and hope they are hiring If anyone knows of anyone hiring let me know!!!!

Old 05-18-2009, 04:45 AM

Couldn't agree more with cameraLens...best thing to do is go directly to companies...

Old 05-18-2009, 10:52 AM

65 posts, read 378,248 times
I've been trying to move my government job there for two years, but you may have better luck...

WWW.USAJOBS.GOV

Just adjust your search criteria for the proper area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: